Hardware alternative setup to Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
M. Bréqs

Hardware alternative setup to Live

Post by M. Bréqs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:56 pm

Hey all.

I'm going buggy at work and at home on the computer. I spend 8 hours a day in front of a computer at work, and when I get home, I spend more time playing with Live... Which I love.

I was fantasizing today about going back to hardware, and I was theorizing what would be the closest you could come to Live's functionality in hardware, and what would you need.

I came up with:

A PHRASE SAMPLER (for loops, must be able to record audio on the fly and seamlessy loop)
A TONE GENERATOR (Synth or sampler)
A SAMPLE TRIGGER DEVICE (for sampled drums and one-shots)
A MIDI SEQUENCER
AN AUDIO ARRANGER
A "LIVE" ORIENTED INTERFACE (pads for triggering samples)

Obviously, lots of gear can do more than one of these functions.

Price would be an issue too, I know that the Big Korg Tritons can be complete workstations, but they're pretty costly (and have a pretty poor interface in my opinion).

This is what I came up with;

MPC-1000 for sequencing and sampling phrases (doubling as a drum machine too)

Korg Kaos Pad 3 for effecting (and limited sampling)

What I don't know about is a decent synth with an internal sequencer... A Keyboard is a plus, but not critical.
Korg MS2000B?
Waldorf Q?

I know the Elektron Monomachine would be a solid choice, but it's too much dough - way outta my price range for a secondary piece of gear that I'll only play with when I'm tired of sitting in front of the computer using Live.

Any suggestions for a decent sounding synth with a really intuitive, powerful sequencer that can run the whole works?

Or, am I completely off base? Should I be looking at a sampling groovebox of some sort instead? Can the MPC record loops on the fly like the Electrix repeater could?

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:35 pm

what about an electribe?
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:53 pm

mike holiday wrote:what about an electribe?
I don't know much about 'em... I read that the sampling one only did 32Khz sampling, which doesn't really impress me much.

How is their synthesis?

How easy is the sequencer to use?

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:17 pm

the sequencer is supper easy to use
you can program it live, using the keyboard or the step sequencer. and record/re-record knob movements on the fly...

i used an ea-1 with my mpc 2000..and could jam for hours
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:38 pm

Know what you mean
Yesterday i wasted so much time doing the video demo and all the computer shit that today i spend whole day with only MPC1k/Clavia G2 combo, no computer around. I can make a song much faster with Live but it was more fun, more actual making music. If you have no money for G2 try to get Waldorf Q the 3 octave keys, possibly with the extension 75 voices. Amazing machine

sans soleil

Post by sans soleil » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:04 pm

i've heard that the initial inspiration for ableton came from the yamaha su700 hardware phrase sampler. i still use mine...great fun, and can be had for pretty cheap now (although make sure you get the ram/scsi upgrade). great sounding filters and a fair bit of tweakability:

http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/SU ... SU700.html

divonic

Post by divonic » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:06 pm

The Electribe synth EA-1 is great. It's a little long in the tooth now but it has been superceeded by the EM-1X. I have no experience with it but I've heard good things. check out http://www.vintagesynth.com/ (they don't have the EM-1X yet.)

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:39 pm

sans soleil wrote:i've heard that the initial inspiration for ableton came from the yamaha su700 hardware phrase sampler. i still use mine...great fun, and can be had for pretty cheap now (although make sure you get the ram/scsi upgrade). great sounding filters and a fair bit of tweakability:

...Wow, I almost bought one of those back in the day. I bought a Roland SP-808 instead and hated it.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:40 pm

Thanks for the adivce all, particularly the info on the electribes...

:D

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:26 am

Yamaha RS7000 for the live midi pattern editing. I use a Doepfer Schaltwerk, but that's a whole different league, if you ask me. Way better than live/mpcs.

A workhorse sampler, like a recent yamaha/akai etc. for multi-samples and whatnot.

A good looper, like the EDP, looperlative, or even a KYMA system.

A good multi-effects box, like the Eventide orville, perhaps, for the flexible connections between modules.

A good mixer. Like, a reaaally good one. Midas?

Ehrm. well, Kyma, Rs7k, Looperlative, Orville, Midas isn't exactly a cheap setup ;) Carry on!
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:30 am

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Poster

Re: Hardware alternative setup to Live

Post by Poster » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am

M. Bréqs wrote:What I don't know about is a decent synth with an internal sequencer... A Keyboard is a plus, but not critical.
Korg MS2000B?
Waldorf Q?
DSI mono Evolver is really, really sick.
the 4 internal sequencers can trigger everything you want..
and don't be fooled by it's mono status because when you hear one you would swear you hear multiple voices..
i.m.o. most interesting concept and sound in years..

Nord mod G2 can do some nice sequencing as well but I'am not a real fan of it's sound. Like G1 better..

Korg MS2000 also has alot of nice sequencing features..
But Evolver smokes Korg's ass both in sound and modularity..
And if you decide to use Live once in a while; Evolver can be used as VST as well..

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:21 am

Why do you need a synth with a sequencer? The MPC is a great all-in-one sequencer and sampler. You can do a *lot* with just the MPC and a good multitimbral VA like a Supernova II or a Virus B/C.

I totally understand about wanting to be away from the computer.

reset

Post by reset » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:26 am

Elektron MonoMachine for sequencing, synths, effects.
+ Elektron Machinedrum UW for sampling, drums, triggering, effects
+Moog Little Phatty cause it's f*cking awesome.

Oops, you and I can't afford the MnM.... :oops:
Last edited by reset on Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://rclique.org
Little Phatty, MonoMachine, SH101/09, Xbase09, Micromodular, Moebius.

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:37 am

M. Bréqs wrote:
sans soleil wrote:i've heard that the initial inspiration for ableton came from the yamaha su700 hardware phrase sampler. i still use mine...great fun, and can be had for pretty cheap now (although make sure you get the ram/scsi upgrade). great sounding filters and a fair bit of tweakability:

...Wow, I almost bought one of those back in the day. I bought a Roland SP-808 instead and hated it.
One of the cats I used to tour with moved to Chicago 3 years ago shortly after buying an SU700. He still uses it to this day and makes some of the hottest, most creative beats I've heard from an unsigned cat in a minute. He absolutely swears by it, and just bought another one b/c his original wasn't maxed out, and he's worn it out.

Talking to him, there's something to be said for being content with whatever you use long enough to know how to truly freak it. He's dope.

Whatever you decide on MB, holla at me and let me know. I've been thinking about grabbing an mpc 1k myself for live shows. Rikhy Ray pushed me even closer to dropping the loot on one. Maybe next week . . .
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.