I Did my first DJ gig with Live.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
16 BIT

I Did my first DJ gig with Live.

Post by 16 BIT » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:31 pm

:wink:
Last edited by 16 BIT on Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:19 pm

Haven't yet tried mixing with Live and decks yet, but one option would be to get Live roughly in time then adjust the deck's tempo to fit to Live's rather than the other way around...

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:25 pm

what are you using to tap tempo--mouse buttons? I find that when tapping to a piece of music that has a consistent tempo, I can get within .5 bpm each time when hitting my tap tempo button over and over, sometimes as close as .2 bpm consistently. I use a computer keyboard button, but you could probably get even closer using a drum trigger pad. If you get it close with tap tempo (not using mouse) then, use Robb's idea of using your turntables pitch slider to do a little bit of fine tuning, it should work. If Live's tempo box is highlighted, you can also use shift and the up and down arrows to move in .1 bpm increments--faster than manually typing it in.

Ryan

six_wax

Post by six_wax » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:10 am

a "nudge" forward/back feature would be especially useful, imo... for when you need just a little "kiss 'round the spindle" to get the beat in time.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:18 am

Get a Xone:92.

It will change the way you sync midi clockable gear to vinyl.

It is an amazing mixer with the ability to adjust external gear to vinyl with the MIDI knob.

I use it to sync an Electribe to my vinyl. Takes a bit of practice, but it works better than anything else I've used. AND I've used a lot of potential solutions over the years...

:)

rob.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:19 am

link link!

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:29 am

robbmasters wrote:Haven't yet tried mixing with Live and decks yet, but one option would be to get Live roughly in time then adjust the deck's tempo to fit to Live's rather than the other way around...
Actually up to that point in saturday night I hadnt tried it out with 3 decks. My intention was to use Live as a 3rd deck.

Its easier said than done to keep the decks in sync with Live for a 2 hour set. Any dj set I ever do the tempo never stays the same through out a whole set. And even the best turntables drift.

Cheers

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:30 am

Anonymous wrote: you can also use shift and the up and down arrows to move in .1 bpm increments--faster than manually typing it in.

Ryan

Thanks I never knew that. Could help

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:31 am

six_wax wrote:a "nudge" forward/back feature would be especially useful, imo... for when you need just a little "kiss 'round the spindle" to get the beat in time.
Yes thats exactly what I would like. A bit like just pushing the platter.

Cheers

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:44 am

robtronik wrote:Get a Xone:92.

It will change the way you sync midi clockable gear to vinyl.

It is an amazing mixer with the ability to adjust external gear to vinyl with the MIDI knob.

I use it to sync an Electribe to my vinyl. Takes a bit of practice, but it works better than anything else I've used. AND I've used a lot of potential solutions over the years...

rob.
Thanks I will check it out.
Last edited by 16 BIT on Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:57 am

I think they need to sort out pitchbend parameters so you can use it to brake and nudge and use another midi knob for fine tune of tempo - in other words make the assign functions for tempo more adjustable

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:27 pm

16 BIT wrote:
six_wax wrote:a "nudge" forward/back feature would be especially useful, imo... for when you need just a little "kiss 'round the spindle" to get the beat in time.

Cheers
I think the playback position in the clip view can accomplish this--you could nudge it forward, slow it back, or hold it steady to get things in sync.

Ryan

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:57 pm

16 BIT wrote: I used to use Final Scratch. The reason I gave up was because 90% of the time I would turn up at a club and there would be no room for the laptop, Ive even been to clubs where the mixer was hardwired to the wooden surface and couldnt get access without a lot of mucking around with screwdrivers.Not great when there is a DJ on before you. Ive even been in a situation where there isnt even a spare electrical socket (seriously)....this situation this is exactly why I always have to cart records with me. What Im trying to say is less gear to carry around the better.

OK ,IM rambling

cheers
Here's a solution when those 'resident-sound-guy-weenies' who hardwired everything in to a frame haven't left you a line input:

http://www.stantondj.com/alpha44/load.a ... ntableline

The quality isn't 100% - consider it, it's a filter and De-amplifier that converts your line level signal to a turntable level RIAA signal, which then has to be re-pre-amplified. sheesh. But, it works and is a good contingency plan for a travelling Live PA. If the sound is overly coloured by this two stage conversion-reconversion, use the House EQ to correct your sound. If you can't access the house master EQ, just put an EQ 4 on each of your LIVE outputs.

heh. Nothing's more satisfying than defying those guys who set up the house systems. Play with their EQs or master gates / limiters and watch them have a baby out their bum . I want a pair of these converters so I can put my laptop and ReMote 25 on top of the turntables when playing in a booth with no room!!! I would remove the platters so that my gear wouldn't wobble on the central spindles of the decks. I could see the resident DJ: he walks in to the booth and snaps! quite fun.

By the way, post your request for a tempo 'nudge' similar to a CD deck in the 'Feature Wishlist' forum. The more people who do so, maybe Ableton will listen.

Also, a tip for tempo for 16 Bit:

You can get precise tempo nudges by assigning tempo to a spring loaded pitch wheel - go to your arrange page, select master track tempo automation, and set the maximum and minimum tempos there. That will determine the range of your pitch wheel's work. Of course, this is a poor workaround, but try it out

L8er
Montrealbreaks

six_wax

Post by six_wax » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:31 pm

Anonymous wrote:
16 BIT wrote:

Cheers
I think the playback position in the clip view can accomplish this--you could nudge it forward, slow it back, or hold it steady to get things in sync.

Ryan
eh? how do you mean?

kabuki

Tap Tempo Accoracy...

Post by kabuki » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:08 pm

3 Things:

1: DEFINITELY assign the tap tempo to a keyboard key. If you were using the mouse or the trakpad button, it could have hurt.

2: A good suggestion I found is to change the time signature from 4/4 to 16/4. You will get 16 taps (or 8 if you use 8/4) instead of 4 or 2 (if I read it right, did you set it up for 2?).

And 3rd: Listen to what MontrealBreaks says. He knows all the tricks. :wink:

Peace.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.