I Did my first DJ gig with Live.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:35 pm

six_wax wrote:
eh? how do you mean?
Lets say you have a warped and looped clip playing back in Live, and you want to nudge it as requested earlier to get it in time with your decks. In the clip view, there is the line with the black triangle at the top that represents where the clips' playback starts from (usually it is at the beginning). Lets say your clip is a bit too behind the deck(s), you would then drag this triangle forwards to essentially jump ahead (fast forward) a bit to get into sync. Maybe this doesn't work well for syncing to turntable (haven't tried), but it theoritically could help to sync Live clips to a deck. Playing around with the playback position is fun, and as close as you can get to scratching in Live for the time being (trackballs help)

Ryan

montrealbreaks

Re: Tap Tempo Accoracy...

Post by montrealbreaks » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:29 pm

kabuki wrote:3 Things:

And 3rd: Listen to what MontrealBreaks says. He knows all the tricks. :wink:

Peace.
Awww, shucks!

:oops:

Gotta disagree about the adjusting the sample start time or loop points as a method of beatmatching though.

Say you get your live Loop in sync by adjusting the sample start time - Would your clip Quantization have to be off for this? But regardless, you have to re-adjust each sample as you bring it in, and then they won't necessarily sync with each other. Plus, your master tempo isn't in sync with the deck anymore! Try launching a new clip, and it will train wreck, unless you pre-listen to it, re-adjust the start point or loop points, etc etc.

This is just my opinion though - If I can sync my Global tempo instead of dealing with individual clips, that's preferable in my method of working.

L8er
Montrealbreaks

six_wax

Post by six_wax » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:35 pm

I like the "MIDI-controlling tempo with a spring-loaded pitch wheel" idea. Will have to check that out, MB.

very clever, btw! 8) thanks again...

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:10 pm

Thanks very much guys All of you for your input. You have all given me some food for thought and encouragement...Cool :)

Montreal Breaks......Are you the master or soemthing...he he he. Thanks for your insight and wisdom.

Cheers
:)

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:16 pm

16 BIT wrote:Thanks very much guys All of you for your input. You have all given me some food for thought and encouragement...Cool :)

Montreal Breaks......Are you the master or soemthing...he he he. Thanks for your insight and wisdom.

Cheers
:)
No, just a geek. But the pitch wheel idea isn't all mine though, it was in Tips n' Tricks forum that I saw it I think.

L8er
Montrealbreaks

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

Darrel A

Post by Darrel A » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:37 pm

Im using the roland MC307 groove box not for sounds or anything but for midi clock because it has the turntable style pitch control for tempo along with nuge buttons but I would love for someone to make a smaller piece for midi clock with just the pitch control nudge buttons and maybe some sort of dial and tap to set the tempo

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:44 am

Darrel A wrote:Im using the roland MC307 groove box not for sounds or anything but for midi clock because it has the turntable style pitch control for tempo along with nuge buttons but I would love for someone to make a smaller piece for midi clock with just the pitch control nudge buttons and maybe some sort of dial and tap to set the tempo
I have thought the same thing. A slider and 2 nudge buttons with a knob for each to vary the nudge ammount, a large spring loaded tap button with an LED that shows tempo, and a keypad to set the exact tempo you want. 3 button transport (play, rec, stop - the fwd and rev could double as the nudge buttons). That's it. With a MIDI trio and USB port. Can generate its own clock too. That would be the fantasy tempo controller, and it would be tiny. Perf. Somebody email Faderfox or somebody and tell them!

dinga

Post by dinga » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:36 am

I recently bought a Redsound Voyager Beat Xtractor.
Works very well for me (and there small)...
There not made anymore so search for second hand. Support at Redsound is fine...

Check it out at: www.redsound.com/djindex.htm

Useful review at: http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/music/dj_equipm ... ew/251238/

cheers

signifier

Post by signifier » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:11 am

seems like you need to look for a musical solution rather than a technical one. what musical options are open to you when things won't sync up? some kind of transition which isn't beat oriented perhaps...

ACR

djome

Post by djome » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:55 pm

just get it roughly in and toggle up and down on your arrow keys.
i have to play along a band, thats well hardcore, i find it fairly easy with decks, just toggling.

safe 8O

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:50 pm

yup, and Shitf+arrow keys fine tunes by .1 bpm increments. .. Tap, fine tune it, rock it.