Auto BPM Sync + Xone3D :(

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
elviscat

Auto BPM Sync + Xone3D :(

Post by elviscat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:23 pm

hi guy's

I'm wondering how many other people are experiencing problems with the auto sync BPM of the Allen & Heath Xone3D.

I have done everything I think that needs doing, including calling to tech support to make sure:

vinyl on deck
fx2 bus turned up for this channel
all other fx2 turned down
midi clock to fx2 bus
ableton set up (track,remote & sync on)
external on in ableton
----------------------------

I sounds like both are trying but it is never on the nail.

am i going mad or something or did i just pay £1500 for something that doesn't do what it is supposed to??

please post your experiences, and if anyone has actually managed to get this midi clock synced for a fairly resepctable time ??

ta

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:54 am

What OS are you using?

I'm using a Macbook and MIDI sync works great. Sorry to hear about your issue though.

rs

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:39 am

ryansupak wrote:What OS are you using?

I'm using a Macbook and MIDI sync works great. Sorry to hear about your issue though.

rs
I think he ment that the XOne 3D does all the matching by itself, which is NOT the case, otherswise that push/pull spring lever would not have been implemented.

tokyojoe69

Post by tokyojoe69 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:36 pm

try adjusting the delay in the midi/sync preferences tab. there is an option to make live run a couple mili seconds faster or slower than the time signal it's recieving. I'm not sure what kind of figures will be accurate for you, but the best thing is just to loop a bar and play with the adjustments untill they're spot on. I found there was a delay simply from my lappie to my friends, so I'm sure this could be the same problem.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:21 pm

it takes practice is all

its not spot on, 100%

get it close and turn sync off...then use the lever and your pitch fader on the 1200...
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

dami

Post by dami » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:33 pm

Well here, I'll pitch in here too...

I got MacBookPro running WinXP (boo, i know) and Xone:3D, with latest V1.10 firmware. Abe is 6.0.1

Trying to sync Ableton to anything analog, let's say CDJ or simple winamp on another PC.

3D detects the BPM, but it's way inconsistent. I got a test track at 132BPM. 3D goes anywhere from 130 to 134 constantly. It's not even funny. Tried to adjust this and that, nothing helps.

Tried to play directly from Abe, constant at 130.00, track is warped tight, 3D get 129.5-131.5. constantly changing.

Pulled out my old Grey BPM.103 counter, it's a bit better, but still off - does 130.4-5 constant.

Which basically shows that there isn't good BPM detection / MIDI clock sync out there. Problem is BPM detection, not MIDI sync - it syncs perfectly fine you can watch it really closely on 3D's blinker and Abe's external MIDI clock blinker, they match. Problem is no reliable BPM detection.

Now I know Gabriel and Dresden use Abe and CDJs, and they constantly do Abe's overlays on CDJs, how do they manage that? Do I have to do manual beatmatch on abe (no fun) all the time trying to match to CDJ?

Any ideas anyone?