How Close is Ableton to Incorporating a Slicer into Live ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stale bread

How Close is Ableton to Incorporating a Slicer into Live ???

Post by stale bread » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:33 pm

Gerhard, Bernd, Robert.... anybody how close are we to the slicer, listen brothers i'm feeling very un-sliced here, my Mpc 1000 has been a godsend in this area but I'm very much going to need to be able to go full circle with ableton Alone and it's true, the mpc and ableton Live make an extremely potent combination that's for sure but when i'm flyin solo I need to do it with ableton so please fellas and fellets come Live with the slicer already.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:34 pm

theres so many solutions already available why does live have to create another one?

tricil

Post by tricil » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:47 pm

a tab key and control E away
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:06 pm

the same reason why Live itself was created in the midst of all these other daw sampler daw packages. Lives ability to slice via slicer is no less important than its ability to sequence via midi for those type of samplist and audio manglers that use slicers.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:08 pm

I'd say they're 4 away maybe 5.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:29 pm

tricil wrote:a tab key and control E away
+1

or, in session make lots of copies of clips, and use short loops with follow actions.

or cut loop and put in impulse...

lots of ways to achieve slicer effect in live...

if they make a slicer style instrument, so be it, i'll bet it will be great. But if they don't, im not gonna cry, i've got so many options to mess up audio in live it's just ridiculous.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

yourmom

Post by yourmom » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:34 pm

live is a slicer.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:38 pm

yourmom wrote:live is a slicer.
That's the song I've been singing for ages.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:57 pm

Time to break out the Dummy Clips skilzz again I guess :wink:

I have a theory, but I wont make any promises.
It may not be a traditional slicer, because it requires warped tracks instead of autodetecting transients..

It's all done using Live alone...

I'll keep you guys posted.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:25 am

I'm betting they'll incorperate an auto-slicer into sampler or a new live instrument so as to either make you pay for sampler (why on earth would I want to pay for that?) or make you buy a new live device. I'd bet money that'll happen.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:04 am

Heres what I do... as I'm sure lots and lots of others as well.

1. Drop the loop in the arrange window (provided it has been warped the next steps work fast and flawless.

2. Set a loop region the smallest it will go (1/4) at the start of the loop. Lets for example say this is a one bar loop and we want to chop it in 16th notes.

3. Highlight the loop with your mouse hit command + E. This make your first slice at the first quarter note.

4. Arrow key over one 16th note and repeat. Hit command + E and the makes your next 2 slices at the first and fifth 16th notes.

5. Continue to arrow key over just long enough each time to hit the command + E, making 2 slices at a time.

6. 19 keystrokes later your one bar loop is chopped into perfect 16th notes and ready to drag into sampler or impulse. All with out ever touching the mouse.

If thats not easy I don't know what is.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:31 am

I think the most all-purpose solution is to have warp markers become midi assignable. Then possibly a new warp mode, placing locked markers at transients based on threshold settings?

Sounds like hoffman's got some ideas though, which is good to hear!

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:50 am

that would be dope longjohn, and if those warp markers could be ajustable that would even be a better slicer than any out there, slice by transients, and however many slices there are automaticly assign warpmarkers to them.
I hope ableton heard you.

hoffmans a mad scientist whether its a righteous slicer or not whatever he comes up with will be useable no doubt.

I'll never understand why people completely understand Recycle, dr.Rex, acids chopper, guru, intakt, phatmatik pro, amg one, MPCs and anything else in the world that has a slicer, most of the people own one of these too but still they won't give any creedance to ableton having slicing capabilities. :?

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:01 am

the point of the matter folks is one of speed and convenience. Yes, i appreciate the loop-quantize trick, but wouldnt it be much easier to be able to highlight a 2-bar section, hit command-shift-E or some other shortcut, and have live automatically slice the 1 bars into sections equal to the quantize setting? And, while we're optimizing the workflow, being able to select a group of 8 samples, and then simply drag them all together into an empty impulse instrument, and have them assigned to the 8 spaces? It should be as simple as highlight, slice, drag all at once, not a multi-step process for each slice you want to load. Tempus fugit folks...

...lo.
i drop on the lokeymassive

carbonform

Post by carbonform » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:41 am

Live is my favorite slicer...Resample + Simpler = chop shop