How Close is Ableton to Incorporating a Slicer into Live ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:44 pm

Spiralgroove wrote:in one click? no i guess not...

yall are some lazy bastards i guess
c'mon, can't we get a "create instant hard trance hit, burn to CD, e-mail to distributor" button??? I'm still pissed I have to turn on Live to make a beat, can't they fix that?

Chuck Norris runs Live without a computer, why can't I?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:59 pm

ikke wrote:
Spiralgroove wrote:
ikke wrote:a scissors tool wouldnt hurt anybody....
it already does this, ctrl+e and alt to pick where to slice
it doesnt
you cant devide a sample by clicking it with the mouse which is very HANDY. you just cant
ehhh, wrong. you have to click on the scissors tool before you can use it, and back on whatever tool you were using before afterwards, so it's actually more clicking. Unless you use a keystroke to pick the scissors tool, in which case, what's wrong with ctrl-e as the keystroke to split????

riddle me that, batman.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:01 pm

seriously...

i usually highlight the clip in arranger and cut as i move right to left... works brilliantly

tribewalker

Post by tribewalker » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:34 pm

I have actually just started to mess with creation of track strictly in arrangement view.....

so i got my own demons to kill before even thinking of slicing....although it has been a thought of mine, and when i tinkered it basically came down to loading it into simpler and trying that way....still didnt quite work though
===============
audio engines are going to differ very slightly betwen 200 dollar soft synths

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:22 pm

Spiralgroove wrote:in one click? no i guess not...

yall are some lazy bastards i guess
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:18 pm

i'm in the boat with those that say Live IS a slicer. you have clip envelopes (linked and unlinked) for reordering transients to your hearts content. you can drop loops into impulse and slice away with midi. all the options already in Live have proven way more flexible (and fun) for me than being at the mercy of how ReCycle-like tools decide to do the slicing for you. i don't understand the functionality that's missing for people.

MacBookDJ

Post by MacBookDJ » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:58 pm

ikke wrote:a scissors tool wouldnt hurt anybody....
As long as you don't run with it. :D
MacBookDJ.com, obviously.
:o

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:01 am

actually a 'split sample at warp markers' command could be quite cool.

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:07 am

Meef Chaloin wrote:actually a 'split sample at warp markers' command could be quite cool.
with a simple little 1 or 2 bar loop i can split hits faster than i can warp marker it... just turn off the grid snap

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:31 am

do you guys even understand what makes an mpc so nice to use, what about an asr 10 or eps 16 plus. what is it that you think attracts people to phatmatik or intakt, what about Live slice I wonder if you get it :roll:

no one is saying that you can't slice an audio file with Live, but the fact is that is not what this is about. A slicer in Live vs. Lives slicing work arounds is just as different as ableton Live vs. other Daws. .. do you get what I'm saying.
its like me saying to you, 'why do you need to use Live, you can loop/ record/effect in other applications that have been around for years. its like me saying you're lazy cause you 'warp' audio 8O .....

you guys are the last crowd I'd expect to have to explain some shit like this too, Never thought I'd see the day when people who make hiphop and other types of sample based music actualy making a case against a slicer in of all places a sampling application Like Live.....WTF!
have you ever seen anybody use an mpc??? if theres no need for me to use a slicer then there is no need for you to use ableton Live

you could just as well use cubar or sonbase, maybe progick or lotools, you guys aren't really thinking about what you're saying
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

tricil

Post by tricil » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:47 am

same reason why many idm heads frown upon supatrigga and dblue glitch.

do your own fucking work.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

dykehouse

Post by dykehouse » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:48 am

Use Liveslice-endorsed by Richard James and the bee's knees really...

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:01 am

tricil wrote:same reason why many idm heads frown upon supatrigga and dblue glitch.
but even more idm heads cant live without them...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:24 am

stale bread wrote:do you guys even understand what makes an mpc so nice to use, what about an asr 10 or eps 16 plus. what is it that you think attracts people to phatmatik or intakt, what about Live slice I wonder if you get it :roll:

no one is saying that you can't slice an audio file with Live, but the fact is that is not what this is about. A slicer in Live vs. Lives slicing work arounds is just as different as ableton Live vs. other Daws. .. do you get what I'm saying.
its like me saying to you, 'why do you need to use Live, you can loop/ record/effect in other applications that have been around for years. its like me saying you're lazy cause you 'warp' audio 8O .....

you guys are the last crowd I'd expect to have to explain some shit like this too, Never thought I'd see the day when people who make hiphop and other types of sample based music actualy making a case against a slicer in of all places a sampling application Like Live.....WTF!
have you ever seen anybody use an mpc??? if theres no need for me to use a slicer then there is no need for you to use ableton Live

you could just as well use cubar or sonbase, maybe progick or lotools, you guys aren't really thinking about what you're saying
nice rant, you're right.

They haven't released any FREE instruments for a while, just EQ8, I bet new instruments will only come out for SALE with new versions, seems to be their modus operandi.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:52 am

I'm with you, bread that is sliced. Always have agreed. Rant well put.

Sure you can slice up audio in Live, but the point is to get the transient hits quickly assigned to midi notes. The note offset is alright sometimes, but nothing like having slices mapped to a key range. And warp markers are pretty useless to me personally. We've been over that before, but warp markers are not good for slicing, as there is no midi involved, so there's less freedom with setting your timing.

I guess other people just don't use it that way. But you know that when ableton releases its slicer (called "slicer"), that everyone'll be talking about how great it is and how much it improves workflow. At that point, we'll find this thread, bump it up, and give a big thanks followed by a bigger "i told you so!".

What do you think people would have said if you had come along before operator was released and suggested "Hey you know what ableton really needs? A simple but efficient 4 oscillator fm synth!" I think you'd get a lot of these -> :roll:

This is glitchrock-buddha btw.

peace,

grb.... I mean rjw.