Quarter tones in ableton live/operator

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Silence

Quarter tones in ableton live/operator

Post by Silence » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:45 pm

is it possible to make a single or a couple of specific keys on a keyboard play quarter tones in live?...

i know that u could make your own scales in Korg Legacy and such but i wonderd if u could do it in lives operator or any other synths....ohh perhaps even in Karma (the bad ass free synth)

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:36 pm

You could put a Scale, Arp or whatever onto the MIDI channel. Then assign a knob/button/thingy to turn these devices on or off.

Or do something similar with racks.

sgriesedieck

Post by sgriesedieck » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:28 pm

fatrabbit wrote:You could put a Scale, Arp or whatever onto the MIDI channel. Then assign a knob/button/thingy to turn these devices on or off.

Or do something similar with racks.
Quarter tones fall in between the notes on a conventionally tuned keyboard and I don't think Scale or Arp or whatever lets you do that.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:59 pm

hello!
thanx for the input
no i agree, i dont think that scale or arp could manage that....
the thing is that most solutions are made for western music that normaly doesent use quarter notes....
the thing is i dont want to have to get hold of all the korg synths and such or just play with the pitch wheel, it makes playing difficult and really kills creativity

does any one here know if the Native Istruments synths manage quarter notes?

i know that i used to make 2 instances of the same device in reason and then lower one of them with 50 cents and play it all on one device, copy the loop and delete everything but the quarternote on the second device that had the -50 cent configuration and do the opposite with the first device....
reaaaaly kills the mood on the playing

does anyone have another solution?
or do i have to get expensive gear?

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:09 pm

Silence wrote: i know that i used to make 2 instances of the same device in reason and then lower one of them with 50 cents and play it all on one device, copy the loop and delete everything but the quarternote on the second device that had the -50 cent configuration and do the opposite with the first device....
reaaaaly kills the mood on the playing
What you described here gave me an idea of how to do it with racks + the scale plugin. I've posted a proof of concept rack here, though there's more work with midi racks you'd need to do to get this to work (I only mapped the first 12 quarter tones of every scale starting on C). Also, I wasn't sure what in operator corresponded to a quarter tone on the fine knob, so I guessed. Basically I put two operators in parallel, detuned one, and used scale plugins to filter out every other note (interleaved) on each operator. edit: the version I uploaded might be accidentally filtering out notes below C1 on just one chain; just reduce the "lowest" value on chain 1.

astroid

Post by astroid » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:16 pm

well finally the tobybear "midibag" package is up for dl again. apparently there's a microtuning app. i'm gonna try it right now.
P4 3.4G 2MB, RME 9652, nord g2, g4+digi 001, axiom 49, peavey 1600X, evolver, gigastudio

http://myspace.com/astroidpowerup

astroid

Post by astroid » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:17 am

i got both midiyoke and the tobybear deals, and cannot for the life of me figure out how to make them work.

quick and dirty quarter-tones (for vsts with a global pitch bend in cents such as simpler)-

in a rack, open two of the same thing. set the zone on on for the lower half of your keyboard, the one for the higher half for the other

put the midi "pitch" effect before the first module, set the knob to +24 (for a 49 key keyboard, +12 for a 25 key)

tune the second module by +50 cents-i'm doing this with two simplers

now you'll have two chromatic scales detuned at a quarter-tone from each other, on the same keyboard. plus, this way retains the normal chromatic scale shapes.
Last edited by astroid on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
P4 3.4G 2MB, RME 9652, nord g2, g4+digi 001, axiom 49, peavey 1600X, evolver, gigastudio

http://myspace.com/astroidpowerup

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:53 am

Never really heard of quarter tones. But I'm guessing inbetween semi tones... 8O :?:

Could you use a dummy clip with pitch bend info?

-M
Last edited by Lo-Fi Massahkah on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:24 am

Yeah sorry I thought you meant quarter notes.

There was a thread on here about re-tuning synths within Live using a 3rd party plug-in, so try a search.

EDIT: I remember doing something like this is NI's Reaktor 5 (but it was a long time ago!), so maybe give that a try.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:23 pm

Wouldn't support for those tuning files that some synths read do the job?
I know several synths that can have different tunings. (.scala files?)

Otherwise, racks would do the job. Or if you resample the notes you wish to use, you could use sampler.
Other then that, i guess dummy clips could work too.
But playing dummy clips together with notes is a bit tricky. (though not impossible)
It requires you to map to a clip with pitchbend info to the same note you're playing.
The problem is, once the note is played, the automation still stays at the other tuning. And chords wont work unless you have 128 tracks of dummy clips.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:55 pm

awh shiiite.... ppl seem intressted....cool

well the thing is i wanted to know if there was a easy way to do it like on my old Yamaha A3 Keyboard. Basicly that u make a specific tone on the scale a quarter note....

i guess ill fiddle a bit with it and see what i can make of it....

Hella thanx to tylenol for the rack, ill try it as soon as i get home....

and ofcourse thanx to the rest! i appriciate all the help and the attention a wierd little subject like this has gotten!.....

netlander

Re: Quarter tones in ableton live/operator

Post by netlander » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:50 pm

A very old thread, I know...

But was interested to see what solution have you come up with to address this issue of quarter tones?

Cheers

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 pm

8bitavenger

Post by 8bitavenger » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:47 am

Serum has built in tuning support in its Global page, so you can make those changes and lock them if you'd like. Looks based on posts above mine that you might be able to find a solution that works for other synths but yeah.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:28 am

I’m working on a system to manage this kind of stuff. It involves max for live. Hopefully more to come later.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1