How Close is Ableton to Incorporating a Slicer into Live ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
unklmic

Post by unklmic » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:00 pm

yourmom wrote:live is a slicer.
True, but live is also a sampler. Didn't stop them from charging us extra for a sampler.

So if you put two and two together, we will be charged for a slicer in version 7.

continuous

Post by continuous » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:07 am

For what it's worth...

The LiveSlice dude is working on a OSX version... saw a post by him on KVR on the 11th.

I likes the looks of that program.

With all the shit I have (i.e. Komplete 3) I shouldn't be pining but all the NI shit is too heavy on my cpu just to use for slicing beats so still I find myself wanting a slicer.

I really want a slicer where I can just grab the slices and move them all around physically.

cheers
Last edited by continuous on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

scientist

Post by scientist » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:43 am

i will never understand what possesses people to post about things they don't want. it makes no sense. the time you save by not posting about why a live slicer is stupid could be put to good use doing it the old fashioned way...with a tape deck and a razor blade. oh, and ableton let it slip that some sort of slicing function is coming in a future version, so on top of wasting your time you're going to look stupid too.
Robert Henke wrote: We believe, that the concept of a multisampler as a host for drum sounds is a technical restriction of the past. The same goes for beat slicing. There must be better ways for this. We are working on it and once we found a good solution we will release it. Racks is a first step into our new world. We will collect experiences and we will refine.
quoted from this thread:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43317

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:45 am

my head asplode.

thank you scientist, i think that ends this thread.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:16 am

I rather think that begins the thread, aren't ableton very much so into getting ideas from their user base......
well then why stop at the slicer....
all who've got some ideas should post them up like crazy and help this thing along. :idea:
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

carbonform

Post by carbonform » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:07 am

doing it the old fashioned way...with a tape deck and a razor blade.
wow no joke? thats really how it was done back in the day??

that would be hell 8O

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:35 pm

carbonform wrote:
doing it the old fashioned way...with a tape deck and a razor blade.
wow no joke? thats really how it was done back in the day??

that would be hell 8O

still the best way to learn how to edit......

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:12 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:ehhh, wrong. you have to click on the scissors tool before you can use it, and back on whatever tool you were using before afterwards, so it's actually more clicking. Unless you use a keystroke to pick the scissors tool, in which case, what's wrong with ctrl-e as the keystroke to split????
This is only true if you're making a one or a few 'slices'. If you're making MANY edits to the audio, scissors are MUCH faster. Yes you have to select it, but once you do it's a simple click, click, click where you want cuts. Versus needing to select a new slice, CMD+E, select another slice, CMD+E. CMD+E is certainly a valid way of doing it, but not at all the most efficient when you need to do this dozens of times for each drum fill.

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:12 pm

am wrote:i got another way...

open impulse in a midi channel and your loop to be sliced in an audio channel.

loop the audio file, and set the start and end point so it's as short as you need it to be. (each hit/16th note/whatever...)

then just drag the loop into a slot in sampler, go back, find teh next section/slice you want and drag that into the next slot... and so on... not a one step solution, but you don't have to leave session view.

:)M

hey man, you can drag and drop what's between loop points in Session?

I will try today, finally have a few hours to learn Live better..

..or is this only in 6?

I guess the downside is that if you change tempo you have to adjust the individual slices accordingly in Impulse, eh? I can work with that.

Thanks,

STRATEGY

Newecho

Re: How Close is Ableton to Incorporating a Slicer into Live

Post by Newecho » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:17 pm

I use both Albeton Live and FL Studio very heavily. I have to say I really wish that Live had the equivalent of FL's Fruity Slicer built in.

Fruity Slicer takes a loop and auto slices and automatically assigns each slice to a midi note, then automatically creates a midi sequence to play all the slices back as if they were the original audio clip. You can then of course can re-sequence. While you can manually do this in Live, it takes seconds in FL.
http://www.markmoshermusic.com

Live 8 Suite;HP DV6; Novation Remote SL, Launchpad, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Moog Etherwave Theremin;Alchemy,Sylenth1,Absynth,ACE,Synplant,Harmles,Gladiator 2,Dimension Pro...

forge

Post by forge » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:20 pm

3rdordertrauma wrote:Heres what I do... as I'm sure lots and lots of others as well.

1. Drop the loop in the arrange window (provided it has been warped the next steps work fast and flawless.

2. Set a loop region the smallest it will go (1/4) at the start of the loop. Lets for example say this is a one bar loop and we want to chop it in 16th notes.

3. Highlight the loop with your mouse hit command + E. This make your first slice at the first quarter note.

4. Arrow key over one 16th note and repeat. Hit command + E and the makes your next 2 slices at the first and fifth 16th notes.

5. Continue to arrow key over just long enough each time to hit the command + E, making 2 slices at a time.

6. 19 keystrokes later your one bar loop is chopped into perfect 16th notes and ready to drag into sampler or impulse. All with out ever touching the mouse.

If thats not easy I don't know what is.
you can halve those keystrokes too - you dont need cmd/ctrl+e - you just select the 16th from within the loop then drag the selection straight to impulse (this is in arrange)

forge

Post by forge » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:29 pm

longjohns wrote:I think the most all-purpose solution is to have warp markers become midi assignable. Then possibly a new warp mode, placing locked markers at transients based on threshold settings?

Sounds like hoffman's got some ideas though, which is good to hear!

yes yes YES!
then if you could right click on the first marker and select "creat midi clip from warp markers" so that a new clip played them then sliced bread would have what he wants

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:09 pm

for me, workflow is the most important, I'd like whatever slicer/slicing capability that ableton comes up with to take all of these workarounds listed in this thread and others that we do and erase them, its crazy saying we don't need a slicer cause we can do this that and the other, ,, erase this erase that and lets just do the other and get the job done. we're not second class slicers over here at ableton right :lol: , so our workflow shouldn't be behind every other app in this regard, our workflow should be beyond every other app in this regard!!!

I'd like each slice to have a range of idividual parameters to be edited, like pitch and so forth, and to make it even more simple, i want it to have all of the features that all the other slicers have and great features that all the other ones don't have, in keeping with the ableton ethos.
and before you say its too hard for live to do what the other slicers do featurewise.... ask yourself why?!!
check the slicer features of guru, fL studios edison, kontakt, intakt, phatmatik, especialy AMGs One, and LiveSlice
all of these apps cost less, there is no freakin reason why Live shouldn't slice their asses off.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:44 pm

i don't think anyone is opposed to live adding some sort of slicer instrument. I know i'm not, i'm sure they'd do a great job of it.

Rather we're just scratching our heads at your bizarre fixation on it. Partially because there are already a ton of these things out there as 3rd party plugs, and partially because we can already do a lot of really cool slicing dicing and chopping with live already.

cool, you want a slicer, we hear you. but really, man, relax, it's not the biggest deal in the world.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:48 pm

remember the movie about dumbo the flying elephant and how he thought he could only fly when he was holding the feather, but it wasnt true, he could always fly?