Kanye West being sued by Evil Knievel

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thelike5

Kanye West being sued by Evil Knievel

Post by thelike5 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:15 pm

This is pretty funny and worth reading...

http://www.nme.com/news/kanye-west/25450

I hope Evil wins but it's pretty hard to sue someone based on using their likeness. Lady Miss Kier of Deelite tried to and it blew up in her face to the tune of $600,000!

Lawsuits suck but so does Kanye....

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:08 pm

sweet. I'm with Evel too!

carbonform

Post by carbonform » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:17 am

"Video is deemed a worthless piece of crap."

lmfao what a title :lol:

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:30 am

oh man, I remember watching that snake river jump live on (pre cable) tv when I was a kid. Evil was a huge star. He's not suing for the money so much as he is the attention. Their both loving it in a way. Good press. Probably costs less than actually buying the same press time :wink:

Approach

Post by Approach » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:56 am

Evil is the man!

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:07 am

Evel Knievel's a scumbag.

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:15 am

I never knew about the Snake River Canyon "jump" until I heard aim's tune with the comentary on.

Fantastic tune.

aMUSEd

Post by aMUSEd » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:24 am

Oh come on - Kneival should accept that if you are an "icon" you get lampooned. That's all it was - a tongue in cheek video based on his image - no more a copywrite issue that someone doing a pisstake of Elvis or anyone else with that sort of iconic status. Really not something to class as a "copywrite" issue - how pathetic and humourless.

Makes me wonder if this isn't more of a copy-white issue? Or is he just strapped for cash or publicity?

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:37 pm

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/enter ... l-knievel/

Evil is a hard ass for sure. Non of his spectacular jumps are online. He's got it all on lockdown. He's keeping himself all to himself it seems.

I want the ceasers palace jump and snake river, but nada. :roll:

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:58 pm

the guy broke bones & bust spleens for his show. I dont think he's being too far-fetched. I'm sure kanye clears the samples he uses, he should kick some dough Evel Knievels way too. I mean, kanye made the whole video about the stunt, not just bits & pieces.

evel's show is not that much different from a musician's concert. He organises an event, people show up, he does his bit, people are entertained. show over. If he goes to the trouble of creating an alter ego and costume and come up with original stunts and video it - well, why doesnt he deserve some financial re-imbursement when a multi-millionaire decides to rip off the whole thing for his rap video ?

seriously, the man suffered for his shows - give the man a break (no pun intended)

copyright isnt a simple debate tho, and I'm mostly against it - but in this instance I think evel is no different to the other artists & showpeople Kanye has sampled to make his millions. So if kanye pays those people, he should pay evel too - imo.
spreader of butter

Contra

Post by Contra » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:02 pm

spoofs are cool.
kanye's a bitch.
knievel smells like formaldahyde,
and im glad he's doin this to kanye.

its the uber- chin check.

Contra

Post by Contra » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:04 pm

b0unce wrote:the guy broke bones & bust spleens for his show. I dont think he's being too far-fetched. I'm sure kanye clears the samples he uses, he should kick some dough Evel Knievels way too. I mean, kanye made the whole video about the stunt, not just bits & pieces.

evel's show is not that much different from a musician's concert. He organises an event, people show up, he does his bit, people are entertained. show over. If he goes to the trouble of creating an alter ego and costume and come up with original stunts and video it - well, why doesnt he deserve some financial re-imbursement when a multi-millionaire decides to rip off the whole thing for his rap video ?

seriously, the man suffered for his shows - give the man a break (no pun intended)

copyright isnt a simple debate tho, and I'm mostly against it - but in this instance I think evel is no different to the other artists & showpeople Kanye has sampled to make his millions. So if kanye pays those people, he should pay evel too - imo.

well said.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:10 pm

b0unce wrote:the guy broke bones & bust spleens for his show. I dont think he's being too far-fetched. I'm sure kanye clears the samples he uses, he should kick some dough Evel Knievels way too. I mean, kanye made the whole video about the stunt, not just bits & pieces.

No doubt, your right. But the dude is 70 and we haven't seen any of his stuff for a long time and now he's in the news because of kanye.

I understand evil holding tight to his rights but he could get a promo push ( something he would enjoy) and make some new cash if he let it loose a little.

But yeah, it's his and he can do what he wants. I just wanna see those jumps again,
but not enough to rent them.

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:18 pm

Or is he just strapped for cash or publicity?
Bingo
b0unce wrote:seriously, the man suffered for his shows - give the man a break (no pun intended)
Yeah? So did the women he beat up and the guy he brutally attacked with a baseball bat. To whom he still owes $13 million according to wikipedia:

"While Knievel was healing from his latest round of injuries, the book Evel Knievel on Tour was released. Authored by Knievel's promoter for the Snake River Canyon jump, Sheldon Saltman, the book painted a less than perfect picture of Knievel's character and alleged that he abused his wife and kids and that he used drugs. Knievel, with both arms still in casts, flew to California to confront Saltman, a VP at Twentieth Century Fox. Outside the studio commissary, one of Knievel's friends grabbed Shelly and held him, while Knievel attacked him with an aluminum baseball bat, declaring, "I'm going to kill you!" According to a witness to the attack, Knievel struck repeated blows at Saltman's head, with Saltman blocking the blows with his left arm. Saltman's arm and wrist were shattered in several places before he fell to the ground unconscious. It took numerous surgeries and permanent metal plates in his arm to eventually give Saltman back the use of his arm. He had been a left-handed competitive tennis player before the attack.

...Saltman later produced documents in both criminal and civil court that proved that, although Knievel claimed to have been insulted by statements in Saltman's book, he and his lawyers had actually been given editorial access to the book and had approved and signed off on every word prior to its publication. A judge in the case called Knievel's actions among the "most despicable" and "cowardly" that he had ever seen. On October 14, 1977, Knievel pleaded guilty to battery and was sentenced to three years probation and six months in the county jail, during which he publicly flaunted his brief incarceration for the press as just one more publicity stunt.

With no income, Knievel eventually had to declare bankruptcy. In 1981, Saltman was awarded a $13 million judgement against Knievel in a civil trial but never received money from Knievel's estate. "

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:43 pm

so the guys an asshole - in principle he still deserves a cut.

the world is full of assholes, and show-business of all industries probably has most of them.

junkies, drunks, thieves, perverts, rapists, murderers...ex-convicts

you might like to take a persons moral inclination into account or their criminal record, but you cant really apply it to a copyright case.
spreader of butter