How Close is Ableton to Incorporating a Slicer into Live ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:58 pm

I like eggs.

but seriously... the more I think about it, I could imagine the Abes making one helluva sweet slicer, even though we can slice with Live there have been some cool ideas here.

BUT I think I'd rather see them incorporate other instruments:
- step sequencer
- groove templates
- improved midi editing
- THE EDIT BUTTON
- a Tiesto plug in that tells me how cool I am when I play
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:32 am

Spiralgroove wrote:remember the movie about dumbo the flying elephant and how he thought he could only fly when he was holding the feather, but it wasnt true, he could always fly?
i get it, you're being funny :lol:

maybe you're right about me being obsessed with slicers but imagine people who don't like slicers following me around obsessed with stopping me from getting one. :wink:
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

eddu

Post by eddu » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:21 am

I would consider Live an slicer when i see a "slice" button or command.

Otherwise Live can do slicing..but its a bit a waste of time.

BTW people who want a midi sequence with the whole file sliced playing, why not consolidate and drag to a simpler/impulse slot? Then as long as you press the midi key you got your whole loop playing.

zazamoth

Post by zazamoth » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:18 pm

Hey stale bread,

I am with you on this one, I would love to see Live with a slicer..I am pretty sure they would do a bang up job on it...only thing that puts me off...would it handle REX files?
/IEC2/Sonar 8/Reason4/Recycle/kompakt/Battery2/intakt/absynth/pro53/Motu symp/zt3a~ MA ozone~BCF2000

https://www.facebook.com/SeraphSin

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:11 pm

dunno Zazamoth, Rex would be cool as alot of folks use that format with guru, rmx, reason etc... so it would probably help keep alot of peoples sample libraries down in size, but I personaly think that with Lives warping technology and slicing that the rex format might not be all that important in my own case. Its at least something that they should take a look at i mean I don't see the reason for not implementing it if they can.

I hope the slicer does not come in the form of a slicer instrument though unless its for some good reason, my ideal design would be adding slicing features to the clips themselves right in the clipview, even being able to assign midi notes to the slices and re-sequence them right there in the clip properties of whatever sample your slicing. if they did that and also got that goofy way of cropping fixed i'd be done.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:14 pm

on second thought maybe a seperate slicer instrument would be the way to go, they'd definitely be able to get sick with those features. if a slicer instrument was made it would be the most used instrument in Live.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:28 pm

Up,Up,Down,Down,L,R,L,R,B,A,Start to access Live's Slicer

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:31 pm

ethios4 wrote:Up,Up,Down,Down,L,R,L,R,B,A,Start to access Live's Slicer
:lol:

R1, R2, L1, R2, left, down, right, up, right, down, down to get all samples.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

CopyRightJustice

Post by CopyRightJustice » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:21 pm

I use recycle to extract midi grooves from beats, to be able to do this natively in live would be great.especially as the clip edit buttons been inconveniently moved, imagine having a slice and (midi/consolidate) buttons. One button to slice keeping the original groove, copy the slices into a sampler then use the midi consolidate button to convert the slices into a midi file,
ok my conception's a bit screwy but you get the idea.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:22 pm

c'mon ethios i know you'd dig it

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:24 pm

shit now if CopywriteJustice is on our side who could be against us 8)

CopyRightJustice

Post by CopyRightJustice » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:27 pm

Or am I Mr Bit

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:42 pm

stale bread wrote:
c'mon ethios i know you'd dig it
ya know, actually, reading this thread...I can see that Ableton could make a really cool live slicer....it would have to be way cooler than Recylce, though. If you could load a loop, have it automatically detect transients, and map them across a keyboard, with lots of manipulation of each sample.....could be very very cool.
Robert Henke's description of the vision for Sampler could indicate something like this in the future for Sampler?

Personally, I really like slicing up beats in arrange mode and sequencing them that way....the workflow is very good for me....but there are definitely limitations to that method, so if they could incorporate the best of both worlds, that would be most excellent!

glu

Post by glu » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:01 am

i see it as an inevitable feature for a future version of sampler. Like most things the abes do, it has to be unique and inspiring.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:16 am

the sampler would be a logical place to stick it as long as it didn't clutter it up, I wouldn't want the abes to shuck and jive on the features they implement just because it looks like its making the sampler to fat, if thats the case bring on the 'Live slicer', for them to put it in sampler would do just fine though.

they need to hurry_fck_up, :lol: with the addition of a slicer or slicing features people won't want to leave ableton Live for anything whatsoever!