what's the best software for making loops??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mgabelma

what's the best software for making loops??

Post by mgabelma » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:56 am

I am using a mac powerbook 1.33 ghz. OS 10.3.3 (basically brand new, top of the line). I'm curious what all of you think is the best software to use with live for creating loops??

dj zed

Post by dj zed » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:25 pm

I think reason 2.5 its a very good option. the redrum machine its great for drum beats . the matrix sequencer is really good to make melodies . once you create then you can rewire reason to live or just export those loops to your loop folder. :lol:

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:19 pm

dj zed wrote:I think reason 2.5 its a very good option. the redrum machine its great for drum beats . the matrix sequencer is really good to make melodies . once you create then you can rewire reason to live or just export those loops to your loop folder. :lol:
I second this motion. Reason is a great tool for a few reasons.

1. It's fairly simple.
2. Rewire if you choose
3. If you learn Reason, you know how to hook up and operate hardware (if you care about that)
4. There is a lot of support for it (refills all over the place for "that" sound you want)
5. Stability

I prefer VST synths to the Subtractor and Maelstrom, but I use reason for all of my rythm. Having said that, I also dig Battery as a drum machine, but for a one piece does it all solution to make your loops, Reason can't be beat.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

logicat2001

Post by logicat2001 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:14 pm

If by loops you're talking about creating triggered-sample loops, e.g. drums loops, I'd really recommend checking out iDrum. It's by the same folks who designed PhatmaticPro.

Do download the public preview and play. He's still adding features and in my case, it's a dream come true. Even better, it's only $49.95.

Best,
Logicat

hat

Post by hat » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:20 am

Actually, Live does a great job at creating loops. I usually will place one-shot drum samples on separate tracks, zoom in and start messing about. Then I can just record the loop onto another track to archive it or export into ProTools later. Reason is also great on many accounts. Truth is, most programs will allow you to create loops, it then comes down to your programming and the samples used to make them sound good.

bitmap

Post by bitmap » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:51 am

yeah, live is great for recording loops. i play VSTIs in bidule and record them into live. it's so easy.

playground404

Post by playground404 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:43 am

recycle / reason / live. Is there any limits to what you can do with this combo????
:::::::severed your ties::::::::: everything you need:::::::na na na na na na ah do do do do do:::::::

Rich

Post by Rich » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:16 pm

I have a similar question so I guess I'll ask it here instead of starting a new thread...

Are there any reputable audio editing freeware or shareware apps out there? I've tried everything I've come across so far and have not been satisfied. I just need it to be able to cut up audio, loop selected parts of the waveform (to ensure good chop points for loops), export to a bunch of file formats (.aif is mandatory, .mp3 is helpful), and normalization wouldn't hurt.

I use Sound Forge on my PC desktop but it's a big pain to have to transfer files from my PowerBook, do the sample-chopping on the PC, then transfer them back. I have Audacity but it's user interface leaves much to be desired and it doesn't have all the functions I want.

hat

Post by hat » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:47 pm

I use this and haven't touched Peak ever since. Simple interface with all the basics, which is all I need.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/a ... acity.html

Rich

Post by Rich » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:57 pm

Rich wrote:I have Audacity but it's user interface leaves much to be desired and it doesn't have all the functions I want.

hat

Post by hat » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:27 am

My bad, I somehow overlooked that. Oh well, perhaps Peak is for you, then. Between Live, ProTools and Audacity (for those rare moments at that), I think I'm well covered. Good luck.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:36 pm

I use Tcworks SparLE Plus ($49), it seems to have the most features for the least $$$