Macro Control dials > Quantizable !

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Poster

Macro Control dials > Quantizable !

Post by Poster » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:39 pm

It would be very usefull, for loads of situations, to be able to set the Macro Control dials to a specific amount of steps..

Example;
- let's say; I map Simpler's 'Sample Start' parameter to a Macro Control dial..
- I set that Macro Control dial to, let's say, a divider of 8 steps..

Now if I turn that dial it will control the 'Sample Start' in 8 steps from 0 to 127..
It will 'skip' trough the sample..

Now this is just one example but this can be usefull to so many more situations where you don't need a gradual-, but a stepping slope..
Last edited by Poster on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:27 pm

also see my request:

MIDI control data > Quantizable !
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44120

annihilator.1

Post by annihilator.1 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:26 am

I was going to suggest quantization of a macro knob but guess who thought of it already ^^ :lol:

+1

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:34 am

yes.

in general, a knob going from 0-127 is simply not appropriate for all types of parameters.

maybe there could be different flavors of macros.. buttons, crossfaders, etc.

annihilator.1

Post by annihilator.1 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:33 pm

how about being able to increase the resolution of a macro knob ie:
0-127(7-bit) 0-255(8-bit) upto 14 bit or 16 bit value, as well as decreasing.

Quite often the macro knob cannot set a parameter accurately enough due to the lack of resolution.

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:51 pm

annihilator.1 wrote:I was going to suggest quantization of a macro knob but guess who thought of it already ^^ :lol:

+1
:wink:

What also would be very useful is to be able to set the min/max range for mapped buttons..
Currently it is fixed at 64 which is not very useful..

yannxou

Re: Macro Control dials > Quantizable !

Post by yannxou » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:14 pm

Poster wrote:It would be very usefull, for loads of situations, to be able to set the Macro Control dials to a specific amount of steps..

Example;
- let's say; I map Simpler's 'Sample Start' parameter to a Macro Control dial..
- I set that Macro Control dial to, let's say, a divider of 8 steps..

Now if I turn that dial it will control the 'Sample Start' in 8 steps from 0 to 127..
It will 'skip' trough the sample..

Now this is just one example but this can be usefull to so many more situations where you don't need a gradual-, but a stepping slope..
Great idea. My suggestion here is that instead of always using the division of 8 steps, why not allowing to specify the desired steps? I could write '0,32,64,127' or '0,7,64,119,127' into a 'steps' field when mapping a parameter and it would divide the mapping to the entered steps.

This could be useful when mapping button parameters in some vsts where they only have 3 or 4 position (like a waveform chooser or octave select) and the vst reacts to these parameters with midi values 0,1,2,3. In these cases, any value higher than 3 has the same effect as 3 because it selects the last option.

It'd be also easier to switch from 3 different values if you know that you've got the first value by moving the fader down, the second value by moving it somewhere in the middle and the last value at the top.

Another situation is the 'sample start' that you say. You could divide a loop into 8 equal steps by entering '0,15,31,47,63,79,95,111'. Or into 16 steps entering 16 values.
Live 9 Suite / MaxForLive / MacBook Black 2.4Ghz / 4Gb RAM / OSX 10.7.5 / Motu828 mk1 / MicroKONTROL / Midisport 4x4 / Korg Kaoss Pad II / Nocturn / Wiimote.

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:19 pm

8 steps was just an example..
user definable would be best..

deva

Post by deva » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:31 am

Poster wrote:
annihilator.1 wrote:I was going to suggest quantization of a macro knob but guess who thought of it already ^^ :lol:

+1
:wink:

What also would be very useful is to be able to set the min/max range for mapped buttons..
Currently it is fixed at 64 which is not very useful..

+1 to both! great suggestions poster!

I was just lamenting the fixed at 64 result myself

Since we are talking about this stuff, I really want to be able to define range for macros too

nihad

Post by nihad » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:36 am

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:20 am

while I agree with the request, the way I get around this is to map the knob to my MIDI keyboard so I can just to values with keys

Inqy

Post by Inqy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:12 am

+1 I need this very badly :!:
It would be great to have a seperated folder at the live devices, where in controllerunits are located. small devices like utility plugin with faders, dials and knobs ready to be mapped. It would be even more awesome to be able to map midi mappings out of the midi assingment browser, or mapping assignments out og the mapping assignment browser to those "controlunits". so you would be able to rack midi mappings.

Well, the best thing I guess would be an internal custom buildable midi controller unit inside of live.
So that you would be able to puzzle together your own internal midi controler out of controlerelements like dial, fader and knob and all this stuff is located in the controllerunit folder inside the live devices browser.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Inqy wrote:+1 I need this very badly :!:
It would be great to have a seperated folder at the live devices, where in controllerunits are located. small devices like utility plugin with faders, dials and knobs ready to be mapped. It would be even more awesome to be able to map midi mappings out of the midi assingment browser, or mapping assignments out og the mapping assignment browser to those "controlunits". so you would be able to rack midi mappings.

Well, the best thing I guess would be an internal custom buildable midi controller unit inside of live.
So that you would be able to puzzle together your own internal midi controler out of controlerelements like dial, fader and knob and all this stuff is located in the controllerunit folder inside the live devices browser.
You have seen Max4Live haven't you??

You can build exactly what your asking and set a live.dial with whatever divisions you'd like then have it sxcale to ensure the end target receives the information in the format it's looking for (sends for example work between 0. and 1. whilst other parameters work between 0. and 127. etc.)

Cheers
D