All Live show coming to a town near you...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
montrealbreaks

All Live show coming to a town near you...

Post by montrealbreaks » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:05 pm

Here's a thought.

For some of us on the eastern seaboard (New England, Quebec, NY, NJ, etc)... What about organizing a Live only tour?

We get a half dozen of us - each of us takes responsibility to book a venue on a certain day in our home town. Then, we promote ourselves as a Live tour and go from town to town. Each of us hosts the other four or five in our homes for the duration of the tour while we travel around in a rented van or something.

No hotels, minimal cost, and since each person books the venue in their own town, there's not too much work either.

I don't know if we would get paying gigs at clubs, or have to pay for a private venue, but for each paying gig we could cover one rental gig.

Only caveat is that all performers use Ableton Live.

Hey, Maybe Ableton will throw in a buck or two.

L8er
Montrealbreaks

Just a thought. Anybody interested?

brautigan

Post by brautigan » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:13 pm

That sounds like a great idea.. I'm not sure if my live creations are up to par for public consumption, but I could help book such a tour's gig here in Philadelphia.

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:42 pm

I could help out here in Toronto... Friends of mine organized a party this weekend at a bar.... As far as I know they did not have to pay for the venue... There will be 3 of us using LIVE not in tandem but as single acts and a DJ.... It is basically a party for us and our friends and whoever walks in off of Queen St.

I'm sure the venue could be obtained again...

As for touring around I may be up to it....

Hey Mbreaks I was in your city on the weekend... Great place much cleaner than Toronto although I think our Leaf fans are more hardcore than the Habs fans..

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:50 pm

I'm in. There are plenty of places to play here in Boston - and lots of colleges. I could probably even find a big party to play at if you guys are interested.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:32 pm

cosmosuave wrote:.

Hey Mbreaks I was in your city on the weekend... Great place much cleaner than Toronto although I think our Leaf fans are more hardcore than the Habs fans..
DEM'Z FIGHTIN WURDZ!!!

:twisted:

L8er
Montrealbreaks

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:32 pm

I could probably get something together in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Keep us updated!

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:43 pm

tjwett wrote:I could probably get something together in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Keep us updated!
I am gonna let this thread simmer for a couple of days and see who's interested. On Monday I will put some real brain power into a possible scenario for the whos wheres whens and so forth.

I would say though that it would be the responsibility of each performer to get to the location of the first gig, which should be centrally located, and to get home from the last gig, which will also be centrally located. Any money made after the gigs would first go to transportation and expenses, then split evenly on an act by act basis (not performer by performer - we don't need a twenty piece brass band + one dude with a laptop hoggin all the moolah and eatin out of our fridges)! That will help offset transport costs to start location and from end location.

Once we get a few more responses, I will start planning. I will take it upon myself to be the central point of contact for this and to draw up a schedule. Don't worry, I'll be fair - (I drink Hoegaarden, Leffe, Boddington's and Kilkenny by the way, if anybody wants to bribe me with booze...)

On Monday or Tuesday, I will email or Private message all respondents, and we can get this thing started. If we can get a lot of people together, I will also contact Ableton and see if they will sponsor us. Lastly, we can look to local music stores who retail Ableton to cough up a buck or two (or some door schwag at least).

Obviously, not everybody who expresses an interest will be able to be on all stops on the tour - we have to consider: availability, tour route, ability to host the group in your home town (no houses with cats, I'm savagely allergic) etc. Naturally, we'll try to get as many people on the tour, or parts of it, as possible, talent permitting. :wink:

I estimate about 6 to 10 weeks before we can get this show up and running.

L8er
Montrealbreaks

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:36 am

I could hook it up down here in the durty souf in good ol Charlottesville Virginia, more than likely paying, and I gots all the PA gear we'd need.

Ryan

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:05 am

I'm interested mbreaks, but I'm in the midwest. Would you be interested in extending the tour over this way a few hundred miles? I could definitely get something hooked up around here, but it'd be a few hours away from the eastern part of North America.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

bigbone

Post by bigbone » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:47 pm

Hey Montrealbreaks

i'm in montreral too, i'm a drummer, and i use abelton live a lot's . so if i can be in any help, let me know.....

And as far as the toronto leafs fan's.....don't wish for a face off again's montreal in the playoff,,,cose even Tie domi will shit in his fucking pants......... :twisted:

Bigbone

crt

Re: All Live show coming to a town near you...

Post by crt » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:01 pm

montrealbreaks wrote:Here's a thought.

For some of us on the eastern seaboard (New England, Quebec, NY, NJ, etc)... What about organizing a Live only tour?

We get a half dozen of us - each of us takes responsibility to book a venue on a certain day in our home town. Then, we promote ourselves as a Live tour and go from town to town. Each of us hosts the other four or five in our homes for the duration of the tour while we travel around in a rented van or something.

No hotels, minimal cost, and since each person books the venue in their own town, there's not too much work either.

I don't know if we would get paying gigs at clubs, or have to pay for a private venue, but for each paying gig we could cover one rental gig.

Only caveat is that all performers use Ableton Live.

Hey, Maybe Ableton will throw in a buck or two.

L8er
Montrealbreaks

Just a thought. Anybody interested?
This is an awesome idea. I don't know if I'd be able to go the whole tour, but I'd love to play the Boston leg in exchange for housing some peeps. Who like scats who hump legs? :)

Seriously, I think I may be able to hook up a venue. Smallish joint here in Cambridge called River Gods. Some guys do a monthly there that's got a good regualr turnout. They might be willing to host an Ableton night. in fact, they did one when Live first came out!!!

Keep me posted.

Piece!
- / . c r t
---
www: http://www.crtdot.com
g3ar pron: PowerBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, LIVE 4, BCR 2000, PC1600X, Oxygen 8
MOTU 828mkii
your sister on my jock
---
+

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:27 pm

I'm glad that we are getting some interest here. Good to see!

It's looking quite doable right now.
bigbone wrote:Hey Montrealbreaks

i'm in montreral too, i'm a drummer, and i use abelton live a lot's . so if i can be in any help, let me know.....

Hey Bigbone: For sure, that would be great! what part of town ya in?
bigbone wrote: And as far as the toronto leafs fan's.....don't wish for a face off again's montreal in the playoff,,,cose even Tie domi will shit in his fucking pants......... :twisted:

Bigbone
Damn straight - Habs still in the playoffs baby!

As for Tie Domi - I used to live in Winnipeg, when he played for the Jets. Damn, that was a long time ago... So, I gotta defend my man Tie... He's allright. Kicked my friend's butt in a bar on New Years Eve a while back. My amigo, who plays football and is into Martial Arts (Kenpo) gets loaded, sees Tie Domi, and decides he's gonna show him a thing or two. To Tie's credit, he's like "man, just get lost, I don't wanna fight", but my buddy won't hear it. He's HUGE, Tie looks like a munchkin compared to him. Needless to say, it was push, push back, grab the shirt, two overhand rights and then sleepytime for my friend.

8O

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:38 pm

Hi montrealbreaks

I'm in the rosemont distric, so let me know by e-mail if you do anything with live,,,,,

And as far as Domi and the bralws,,,,,,,i do belive you, he look like a mean guys.....but again, i'm a lover not a fighter :wink:

all the best ,

bigbone

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:13 pm

montrealbreaks wrote:I am gonna let this thread simmer for a couple of days and see who's interested. On Monday I will put some real brain power into a possible scenario for the whos wheres whens and so forth.
L8er
Montrealbreaks
ok... ROLL CALL!

Let's see who's expressed interest thus far:

Me n' Bigbone from Montreal
CRT and Rich in Boston
Rahlo in Indianapolis
Ryan in Charolettesville Virginia
Tjwett in Brooklyn / Mahnattan
Cosmosuave in Toronto
and
Brautigan in Philly

I'll spend a cuople of hours with Mapquest and AAA maps tonight and look at some possible routes and scenarios, and see if we can concievably make a tour of this.

I'll drop a Private Message or email to each of us tomorrow to get contact info spread around, etc. If you want to contact me, drop me a PM, and I will give you my email - I don't put my email on the internet (counter spam measures...)

Lastly, we should all share some music with each other - kinda "quality control", to quote Jurasic 5... So, when you RSVP to my email or PM, please include a link to some of your music (if it's online) or we can hook up some CD transfers.

I am not gonna be so monomaniacal as to think that I will be the sole arbiter of taste here - this will be a (gasp!) consensus thingy, so each participant should have access to each other participant's music.

However, I HATE it when I am the sole person doing stuff, we should be a team; so I will be a prick here - minimal cooperation (eg. me having to chase you down and pester you to get contact info, music or help) will result in a name stricken off the list.

I don't like to be harsh like this, but it's gotta be that way if we want to get this thing on the road so to speak.

However, I am confident that this is totally doable with the right gumption!

L8er
Montrealbreaks

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:25 pm

Last edited by montrealbreaks on Wed May 05, 2004 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.