How Close is Ableton to Incorporating a Slicer into Live ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
conny

Post by conny » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:01 pm

longjohns wrote:I think the most all-purpose solution is to have warp markers become midi assignable. Then possibly a new warp mode, placing locked markers at transients based on threshold settings?
!
Agree. In my mind, a slicer would also automatically assign midi notes to the slices - whether as warp marks or not (slices distributed in Sampler).

I use at times MicroDicer from ConcreteFX. It does what I want, midi may be exported, slices may be exported. I jusr want it to be a fully intergrated part in Live, so that slices would be directly managable by impulse, simpler and sampler and as audio clips.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:45 pm

Machinate wrote:
Rogue Scrunt wrote:Originally Sampler was supposed to support REX files.

Once this is implemented your problems will be solved.

This is not a 100% native slicer, but everyone has recycle right?
No they don't. It is ridiculously expensive for what it does, and I refuse to have that half-assed piece of software on my computer... sorry.

Rex is a retarded format anyway - why on earth should my library have to double in size if I want to prep my loops for slicing?
FEEL YOU ON THAT!!!!!!!!
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

carbonform

Post by carbonform » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:27 am

Rex is a retarded format anyway
amen.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:47 am

I'm actually suprised it was ever an accepted format. when it was developed I can't believe that the whole music community didn't just say "what the hell do we need this for? why don't you just use wav like the rest of the f*ing industry?"
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:40 am

its pretty simple . back when the rex format came out it was at the hight of the syncing audio with other audio craze and in that regard its part of the pioneering of the whole thing... i did say 'part'
rex didn't start it all but it gave alot of folks who wanted to sync audio and didn't want to waste alot of time getting it done a format to run with. its obviously been very useful in the past and still to this day. My format of choice is wav but you can rex up a bunch of shit and do great things in rmx with it as well as amg one and cubase users have always been able to make great use of the rex format

my question is this, we act like adding features to sofware is going to take up another room in our already cramped apartments.... its not. we shouldn't be saying no to any features, only yes as long as ableton can get them working correctly why the fuck not!!! no body has to use the slicer if they don't want to but I know alot of people who will.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:42 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:I'm actually suprised it was ever an accepted format. when it was developed I can't believe that the whole music community didn't just say "what the hell do we need this for? why don't you just use wav like the rest of the f*ing industry?"
this statement shows great ignorance.

when recycle came out, hardware samplers ruled the business, and not one of them supported wav files.
Recycle was compatible with almost every hardware sampler.

recycle saved me hours worth of button presses on my s3000. and my asr10
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:05 pm

stale bread wrote: my question is this, we act like adding features to sofware is going to take up another room in our already cramped apartments.... its not. we shouldn't be saying no to any features, only yes as long as ableton can get them working correctly why the fuck not!!! no body has to use the slicer if they don't want to but I know alot of people who will.
Well, this is partially true....it doesn't take up space in Live, but it does take up development hours. Live didn't include time-stretching, MIDI, clip envelopes, racks, groove, etc in the first version because of a lack of development hours, not because the ideas weren't there, or the technology to implement them. If Ableton develops a Slicer, thats development time they could have used to put something else in...

That's were the resistance comes in....everyone fights for their pet feature, and the Abes decide between those and their own visions for the development path of Live.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:19 pm

well, i do think there is a case to be made for "feature clutter" too.

Go try to use something like DP to write a track. There's simply too much bullshit in there to have an effective writing workflow.

That said, i don't think that something like rex support or some sort of slicer would violate that.

In the meantime, nobody is stopping you from using recycle to chop stuf up and export the wav and midi files. I do it every once in a while myself...

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:24 am

while we're at it it would be great if you good folks could go over to kvr and lend your support for a kvr sample slicer developers challenge
check it out, give your ideas, pester them to start the damn thing. of course this would never replace an ableton slicer/slicing funtions but its the next best thing that's for sure.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=90

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:16 am

bump

forge

Post by forge » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:46 am

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:40 am

bump

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:51 pm

*whistles*

.lm.

conny

Post by conny » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:06 am

leisuremuffin wrote:*whistles*

.lm.
Yeah!
And listened to some of your work - nice, really!

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:54 am

no, truly I'm a horrible person and my music sucks.

i'm also stubborn and bitter.

and drunk for extra credit.

.lm.