Relocating your entire sound library

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
atmofunk

Relocating your entire sound library

Post by atmofunk » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:30 am

hey everyone -- I just recently rienstalled my OS and i've decided i wan tto also relocate my entire sound library to a new (faster) physical drive.

Problem is, I have a shitload of songfiles all referencing the samples' current location. Is there a way to do some massive batch update of all my songs to look for the samples in my new location, or do i haveto manually hunt down each one when i open every ALS file?

I've considered saving them all as contained first and then moving so that legacy songs are taken care of -- then new songs could all reference the new locations...

any thoughts? Hopin' there might be a straightforward answer to this that i've totally not thought of.

cheers, and thanks for any ideas
http://mixlogistics.com | http://www.myspace.com/mixlogistics | Live 6.0.3 | Oxygen8v2 | Trigger Finger

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:17 am

I actually think it just looks for the sounds in the appropriately named sounds folder in the same directory as the .als. (Live 5 style) Live 6 style / Project Folders would be similar.

In other words, I don't think you have a problem moving the entire setup to another physical drive letter. Just as long as the folder heirarchy inside doesn't change.

Test it by copying, and then erase the old version when you know it's working. I just moved all my Ableton stuff to a new drive, but left the old one there as a backup.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:26 am

defintely read the manual on file management, 5 pages or so, worth your while. live 6 has a structured file system.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

atmofunk

Post by atmofunk » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:21 am

I'm still using Live 5, and yeah i did look a the manual. As far as I could tell it said that any missing files would need to be relocated manually, and i really don't feel like doing that for every song in my system lol

When Acid can't find a missing file it lets you choose where to look and it will ask you if you want to use that new location for all subsequent files..

Guess i'll just experiment a bit.

thanks guys
http://mixlogistics.com | http://www.myspace.com/mixlogistics | Live 6.0.3 | Oxygen8v2 | Trigger Finger

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:55 am

live 6 file system is fucked, im gonna have to read that chapter in the manual because after painstakingly sampling my Evolver and making a dozen COMPLETELY AWESOME simpler patches, all the original audio samples were deleted when i closed the live set they were recorded into.

so now i know better. gotta edit the samples in wavelab and save them as a new file, straight into my sample library folders.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:55 am

Komplex wrote:live 6 file system is fucked, im gonna have to read that chapter in the manual because after painstakingly sampling my Evolver and making a dozen COMPLETELY AWESOME simpler patches, all the original audio samples were deleted when i closed the live set they were recorded into.

so now i know better. gotta edit the samples in wavelab and save them as a new file, straight into my sample library folders.
so basically you're saying it's fucked because you didn't read the manual first? interesting.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:19 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
Komplex wrote:live 6 file system is fucked, im gonna have to read that chapter in the manual because after painstakingly sampling my Evolver and making a dozen COMPLETELY AWESOME simpler patches, all the original audio samples were deleted when i closed the live set they were recorded into.

so basically you're saying it's fucked because you didn't read the manual first? interesting.
YES - exactly. i was under the impression that if i record audio into live and save a simpler patch using that file, the audio file gets saved with it. I won't make that mistake twice. :)

besides, who reads the manual first? only nerds do. nerds that read manuals instead of writing music. manuals are only good to me if i don't know how something works. in this case, i thought it worked differently and should of double checked before closing the session.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:01 pm

atmofunk wrote:I
When Acid can't find a missing file it lets you choose where to look and it will ask you if you want to use that new location for all subsequent files..

Guess i'll just experiment a bit.

It is the same in Live 5 - when I transfer an edited set from dektop to the laptop. The als opens and Live asks for a location for a file.