Waves SSL 4000 plugins VS Focusrite Liquid Mix

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

which of the two would you buy?

Waves SSL 4000 SSL plugins.
50%
Focusrite Liquid Mix(with some SSL emulation)
50%

Total votes: 26

FrankH

hard

Post by FrankH » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:39 am

Contra wrote:...oh decisions decisions to make
Life is hard...
Live 6.0.3 Win XP sp2, P4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, UXGA video, RME Multiface (1), Nord Lead 3, Korg X5D, TR-Rack, ER-1, Roland Juno 106, JV-2080, Elektron Machinedrum-UW, SidStation, SPL Charisma, Soundtracs CP6800 (40/12/24), Genelec 1030A, Furutech TP80, etc.

Contra

Re: hard

Post by Contra » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:51 am

FrankH wrote:
Contra wrote:...oh decisions decisions to make
Life is hard...

and i see u havent chosen either of the two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so which is it then?
have u tried the SSL plugins from Waves and/or Liquid Mix(im too obese to scroll back and read any previous responses) I move forward in life.

Contra

Post by Contra » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:26 am

bump.

roach808

Post by roach808 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:29 am

Contra wrote: dont get me wrong that shit looks mad nice prolly sounds nice too, but for 800 bucks i want some versatility, liquid mix ton of emulations. and the ssl is at least 3 plugs.....oh decisions decisions to make
no offense, but after seeing ur laptop I think the Liquid Mix is just what the doctor ordered. Hell, when i get my in Jan. Its going right onto my 12'' powerbook so i can have the firewire free on my macbook. Sorry my 2cents.
roach- the other white meat
http://www.themenacetosobriety.com/blog/
MBP, Live Suite, and lots of nice analogue gear.

Contra

Post by Contra » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:24 am

yea but roach, in january im getting a macbook pro with 3gb of ram....

so we have options here.

roach808

Post by roach808 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:55 am

Contra wrote:yea but roach, in january im getting a macbook pro with 3gb of ram....

so we have options here.
well u failed to mention that one 2 me, lol.

Contra

Post by Contra » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:59 am

roach808 wrote:
Contra wrote:yea but roach, in january im getting a macbook pro with 3gb of ram....

so we have options here.
well u failed to mention that one 2 me, lol.
it is always good to keep cards up one's sleeve......

;)

so then why is the liquid mix to hi end....wheres the love of bass like the SSL plugins, i ask u since uve at least messed with some of these.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:37 am

Contra wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:http://www.toftaudiodesigns.com/ec1.html

mono but i think it would poo on all the other stuff discussed here.

EDIT: 6am overstatement... i dont think it would crap on the others in terms of versatility, but this is a really nice rack and i feel it would improve your sound if you are after decent eq and compression
dont get me wrong that shit looks mad nice prolly sounds nice too, but for 800 bucks i want some versatility, liquid mix ton of emulations. and the ssl is at least 3 plugs.....oh decisions decisions to make
i feel if you get to know a proper piece of hardware especially an analogue one, you will find it more versatile in the long run than any software system,

this is from someone who has had many pieces of equipment bite dust necause i listened to what other people said only to realise a few years later just how useful it is and why the fuck didnt i get usin it before.

contra, your friend is definately wrong. ive used the toft rack i linked to in two studios and also one mastering suite rigged up as a production studio and i have to say that in line on a synth and on just about anything i threw at it, there was great 'fattening' happenin..

also when pushing frequencies on the eq, the dynamics of the treated audio were not being impacted too much or anything i.e. raising the bass just made it fatter, not louder on the bass and throwing the mix off.

roach808

Post by roach808 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:52 am

sweetjesus wrote: contra, your friend is definately wrong. ive used the toft rack i linked to in two studios and also one mastering suite rigged up as a production studio and i have to say that in line on a synth and on just about anything i threw at it, there was great 'fattening' happenin..

also when pushing frequencies on the eq, the dynamics of the treated audio were not being impacted too much or anything i.e. raising the bass just made it fatter, not louder on the bass and throwing the mix off.
actually, that would be my friend that isnt a fan of toft gear. then again, he isnt a big fan of the liquid mix either, lol.

http://www.sawstudio.com/index.htm this is his fav obession tho.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:12 am

roach808 wrote: actually, that would be my friend
shit

sorry contra, after a crazy xmas shopping day everyone is a blur

Contra

Post by Contra » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:39 am

sweetjesus wrote:
roach808 wrote: actually, that would be my friend
shit

sorry contra, after a crazy xmas shopping day everyone is a blur
its cool

i understnad whut your sayin about the hardware thing...
but i am not gonna lie i loooooooove the ssl sound use it at skool over everyboard there (including sony oxford) im just obsessed with it, ssl CAN polish a turd.

so its more of
Liquid Mix (external DSP with SSL emulations and others)
or SSL Plugs (supposedly near true emulations, with MASTER BUSS COMPRESSOR, which is the main feauture i like on all SSL boards that give it that final sound)

and both under 800

the thing is i dont wanna also lug around too much equipment when mixing in other places, liquid mix is fairly compact, SSL plugins aint gotta even do anything in my comp.....

so its just an ssl thing really

Contra

Post by Contra » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:06 am

u can hate me now,......BUJMP!!!!!

i need more feedback on the Waves SSL plugins, i think roach is a focusrite salesman....i need to way the scales.....

FrankH

i don't know

Post by FrankH » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:59 am

Contra wrote:bump.
Living in the European time zone made me doing my beauty sleep at night. ;)

So to be honest I don't have a clue which one to choose. Liquid or the Duende???
Live 6.0.3 Win XP sp2, P4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, UXGA video, RME Multiface (1), Nord Lead 3, Korg X5D, TR-Rack, ER-1, Roland Juno 106, JV-2080, Elektron Machinedrum-UW, SidStation, SPL Charisma, Soundtracs CP6800 (40/12/24), Genelec 1030A, Furutech TP80, etc.

Contra

Re: i don't know

Post by Contra » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:28 am

FrankH wrote:
Contra wrote:bump.
Living in the European time zone made me doing my beauty sleep at night. ;)

So to be honest I don't have a clue which one to choose. Liquid or the Duende???
well i cant afford duende
and the liquid from some demos ive heard is too high endy, the ssl emulations i heard(gonna hear em again) dont sound like the ssl at my skool that grit and warmth

then just nowi found out for the Waves ones , that Waves has a WUP(waves update plan) you have to pay yearly to receive bug fixes and tech support....so now im just fuckin stuck like chuck

be back in 2 and 2!

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:48 pm

OH LORD GIVE ME SOME FUCKING STRENGTH.
Reading this conversation between these two dullards (Roach and contra) I struggled deeply to concentrate on what they were both saying. How boring can a thread be. I feel this one must have the vote as the most boring thread ever.
In regards the topic question my suggestion is
FUCK OFF!
:twisted:
HA HA HA :twisted: