THE Rack List. (What can you do with Racks?)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jasinski

Post by jasinski » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:24 am

Now organized the racks files into Instruments and Effects catagories.. See the top of the thead.

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:31 am

This should be stickied most def...

How we go about this?

I've got a few more in the pipeline... yall will be the first to see em!

Peace!

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:38 am

3rdordertrauma wrote:This should be stickied most def...

How we go about this?

I've got a few more in the pipeline... yall will be the first to see em!

Peace!
cool 3rdordertrauma.
Looking forward to seeing them.

I don't know how we get this stickied.. must have to get the attention from an administrator.

sebovzeoueb

Post by sebovzeoueb » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:30 am

I hadn't really given this whole rack thing much thought, but from reading various forum posts I can see the potential of racks as a way of organising loads of effects without ending up duplicating tracks and routing stuff in a complicated manner...
So I've given it a go myself. Here is my Dirty Sub Bass Rack: http://www.mydatabus.com/public/s2b/z/D ... b_Bass.adg
it's nothing hugely impressive, but I find it quite good for getting a gritty sub heavy tone from an electric bass, especially my fretless bass which usually has quite a light tone. It also has a filter sweep assigned to a macro which can be used as a low end Wah type effect. I found this works quite well assigned to an expression pedal (in this case the one on my Pod XT Live). I will definitely use this kind of sound live at some point, especially for Drum 'n' Bass. Although I haven't tried this I'm guessing a simple sinewave type synth bass put through this rack would also be good for heavy sub bass sounds.
I put the gate effect on there for cutting out hum and little noises, however it can be annoying sometimes, so it can be a good idea to turn it off if the sound keeps cutting out.
MacBook Pro 17", 2GB RAM; Live 6, Pod XT Live, MOTU Ultralite, M-AUDIO Axiom 25, Electric and Acoustic Ukuleles, Fretless Bass.

http://www.myspace.com/s2belectronica

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:45 pm

sebovzeoueb wrote:I hadn't really given this whole rack thing much thought, but from reading various forum posts I can see the potential of racks as a way of organising loads of effects without ending up duplicating tracks and routing stuff in a complicated manner...
So I've given it a go myself. Here is my Dirty Sub Bass Rack: http://www.mydatabus.com/public/s2b/z/D ... b_Bass.adg
it's nothing hugely impressive, but I find it quite good for getting a gritty sub heavy tone from an electric bass, especially my fretless bass which usually has quite a light tone. It also has a filter sweep assigned to a macro which can be used as a low end Wah type effect. I found this works quite well assigned to an expression pedal (in this case the one on my Pod XT Live). I will definitely use this kind of sound live at some point, especially for Drum 'n' Bass. Although I haven't tried this I'm guessing a simple sinewave type synth bass put through this rack would also be good for heavy sub bass sounds.
I put the gate effect on there for cutting out hum and little noises, however it can be annoying sometimes, so it can be a good idea to turn it off if the sound keeps cutting out.
Thank sebovzeoueb. Added it to the list.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:33 pm

just wanna say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread & to the organiser. Unfortunately ive not really got creative with racks yet, i have messed about & got a couple i used but they are pretty simple ones that switch between a few fx. maybe these will inspire me though.

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:30 am

Meef Chaloin wrote:just wanna say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread & to the organiser. Unfortunately ive not really got creative with racks yet, i have messed about & got a couple i used but they are pretty simple ones that switch between a few fx. maybe these will inspire me though.
you are welcome Meef. Go ahead and check out what has been made here. I think there are some really cool ones. What racks have done for me is take me back to sound design- I find the way Ableton has implimented it very intuitive and easy to spend many hours experimenting.

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:30 am

Well this isn't really a rack. Its more like a Utility Template... but its still useful. Its for automating the process of sampling hardware (or otherwise) instruments. So for some of you who have any hardware laying around unused and would like to get some samples out of it but can't be bothered with the task... this may come in handy.

I think it either got over looked when I posted it awhile back or nobody found it useful. :? Either the case maybe some of you will put it to use.

If it doesn't belong in this post... I'll remove it.

Cheers!

---> Live Auto Sampler <---

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:26 am

Wow, this is freakin' awesome 3rdordertrauma!
I was doing this the other day, but not quite as well thought out.
Thanks I am going to give this a try.

One question, how didy ou do the text for the tutorial on the right side of the app??
3rdordertrauma wrote:Well this isn't really a rack. Its more like a Utility Template... but its still useful. Its for automating the process of sampling hardware (or otherwise) instruments. So for some of you who have any hardware laying around unused and would like to get some samples out of it but can't be bothered with the task... this may come in handy.

I think it either got over looked when I posted it awhile back or nobody found it useful. :? Either the case maybe some of you will put it to use.

If it doesn't belong in this post... I'll remove it.

Cheers!

---> Live Auto Sampler <---

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:06 am

jasinski wrote:Wow, this is freakin' awesome 3rdordertrauma!

One question, how didy ou do the text for the tutorial on the right side of the app??
Inside the project folder there is a folder with the "project name" followed by "Lessons" . Have a look in there... you'll see the text file and the associated pics. Look through the text file and you'll see how the pics and stuff are linked. Basically if you have that simple text file with the right name in the right directory within the project then Live sees it as a lesson file and can be accessed through lives lessons view. I honestly don't know a lot about it. I just used the pre packed Live lessons as a guild and did my own with a little trial and error.

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:25 am

Dang. now THAT is a cool trick.

3rdordertrauma wrote:
jasinski wrote:Wow, this is freakin' awesome 3rdordertrauma!

Inside the project folder there is a folder with the "project name" followed by "Lessons" . Have a look in there... you'll see the text file and the associated pics. Look through the text file and you'll see how the pics and stuff are linked. Basically if you have that simple text file with the right name in the right directory within the project then Live sees it as a lesson file and can be accessed through lives lessons view. I honestly don't know a lot about it. I just used the pre packed Live lessons as a guild and did my own with a little trial and error.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:39 am

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:57 am

this is also in the other show us your racks thread.... but i thought i'd put it here too.

it's an acoustic drum kit... with tweakable mic positions... sounds strange i know, but you get the idea once you see it in action.

it's a large download, and it's processor intensive.... but it's pretty good for getting a range of Acoustic drum sounds.... and also for messing with until you get really odd sounds.

http://covops.dreamhosters.com/dropbox/ ... k3.alp.zip

thanks to the covert operators for hosting the file.

:)M
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:39 pm

am wrote:this is also in the other show us your racks thread.... but i thought i'd put it here too.

it's an acoustic drum kit... with tweakable mic positions... sounds strange i know, but you get the idea once you see it in action.

it's a large download, and it's processor intensive.... but it's pretty good for getting a range of Acoustic drum sounds.... and also for messing with until you get really odd sounds.

http://covops.dreamhosters.com/dropbox/ ... k3.alp.zip

thanks to the covert operators for hosting the file.

:)M
Thanks AM,
added this to the first post. (master list).

sebovzeoueb

Post by sebovzeoueb » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:14 pm

I've just made a sampler patch/rack, do I have to upload the samples separately, or are they included in the rack file?
MacBook Pro 17", 2GB RAM; Live 6, Pod XT Live, MOTU Ultralite, M-AUDIO Axiom 25, Electric and Acoustic Ukuleles, Fretless Bass.

http://www.myspace.com/s2belectronica