Anyone in Sydney?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
muscleandhate

Anyone in Sydney?

Post by muscleandhate » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:18 pm

Thinking of booking a one way ticket and leaving this little town behind. Anyone have any experience of Sydney? I'd be grateful to know any important information, and/or general experiences of jobs, nightlife, accommodation in Sydney. I'd probably be looking for casual barwork or whatever. Also, how expensive is running a car down under (keep in mind I currently reside in the UK)?

Anythings appreceiated. Thanks

forge

Re: Anyone in Sydney?

Post by forge » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:31 pm

muscleandhate wrote: Also, how expensive is running a car down under (keep in mind I currently reside in the UK)?
well you're in for a nice surprise there

I pay for a whole year what I used to pay for 2 months in the UK for car insurance, petrol is about half the price

but the actual cost of buying a car is a bit more as there just arent as many here as in the UK - or at least you could get a newer car for the same money in the UK

transport in general is the single biggest headfuck in England, especially in the south east

when I was back recently I had to do a round trip with my step father from S.London->chelmsford->bromley->S.london on a friday and it took about 10 hours, a good deal of it not moving much at all

sydney can have it's moments, but where I live now in Brisbane it's like a dream - this city is just full of happy people because life is easy, and the weather is nice.

you get big 4 lane highways with fuck all people on them, things just feel calm

there's no council tax, sewerage bills, tv licence, petrol's about 40-50p a litre, electricity is cheap - I'm sure there's more I havent thought of - I know I spend virtually NO time thinking about bills here where it seemed to occupy a ridiculous portion of my time over there

unfortunately the wages arent as high but you dont really notice and you can have a good quality of life on less

all this is less the case for sydney, I havent lived there for about 10 years, but it's still an easier life than the UK, and the weather's better, Sydney's not too big compared to london

but there's Sydney people on the board who can give you more info on it

lerky

Post by lerky » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:21 pm

yeah give sydney a miss i reckon
brissy is nice, perth is also nice, melb is cool and adelaide is my old hometown so of course i think its nice, even if theres not much going on- well there is, if you are interested in certain things

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:24 pm

brissy and perth it only if you got a family..

places i recommend one way tickets to and things they have to offer

berlin * culture and food
melbourne * culture and food
shanghai * money and pussy
sydney * money and pussy
amsterdam * drugs and pussy
san francisco * pussy and pussy
tokyo * liebe

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:27 pm

asian cars are the cars of choice for budget concious.

a toyota here wouldnt eat up all the petrol in the world and you only get stung really for the annual registeration and insurance, otherwise the car itself isnt horribly expensive.

edit:

many ppl get disposable cars i.e. a shitbox and drive it around the country and sell it for the same price as before when done.

bragi0

Post by bragi0 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:12 am

muscleandhate wrote:Anythings appreceiated. Thanks
To get some ideas about cost/style:

housing (rent/purchase), http://www.realestate.com.au
cars, http://www.carsales.com.au
clubbing night life, http://www.inthemix.com.au
jobs, http://www.seek.com.au

if there's anything else you have questions about, just ask, there's heaps of forums and sites out there about it, or... I've lived in Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and now Sydney, so I can speak with some small amount of authority.

If you want nightlife and interaction with the largest amount of musos in .au you'll need to head to Sydney or Melbourne. I love both cities equally. Brisbane is fine, just no nightlife to really speak of. Adelaide is ..... *snooooooore*. Sorry, what was I talking about again? ;)

I do need to drag my sorry arse to an abes usergroup meetup though. Damn I'm slack!

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:23 am

hey SJ, how's the pussy situation in melbourne ?
spreader of butter

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:42 am

b0unce wrote:hey SJ, how's the pussy situation in melbourne ?
never been there but all of australia is fine for that

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:16 am

bragi0 wrote:Brisbane is fine, just no nightlife to really speak of. !
I havent been out in a while but I do get the feeling it's changing

of course Brisbane/Se Qld is the fastest growing part of the country with 1500 moving here each week

and the gold coast and byron bay arent too far

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:43 am

forge wrote:
muscleandhate wrote: Also, how expensive is running a car down under (keep in mind I currently reside in the UK)?

I pay for a whole year what I used to pay for 2 months in the UK for car insurance, petrol is about half the price

but the actual cost of buying a car is a bit more as there just arent as many here as in the UK - or at least you could get a newer car for the same money in the UK

transport in general is the single biggest headfuck in England, especially in the south east

when I was back recently I had to do a round trip with my step father from S.London->chelmsford->bromley->S.london on a friday and it took about 10 hours, a good deal of it not moving much at all

sydney can have it's moments, but where I live now in Brisbane it's like a dream - this city is just full of happy people because life is easy, and the weather is nice.

there's no council tax, sewerage bills, tv licence, petrol's about 40-50p a litre, electricity is cheap - I'm sure there's more I havent thought of - I know I spend virtually NO time thinking about bills here where it seemed to occupy a ridiculous portion of my time over there

unfortunately the wages arent as high but you dont really notice and you can have a good quality of life on less

all this is less the case for sydney, I havent lived there for about 10 years, but it's still an easier life than the UK, and the weather's better, Sydney's not too big compared to london

forge your making a big mistake, telling people how wonderful life is in OZ will encourage your untainted and happy easy going land and populace to soon be invaded by millions. Of all the places in the world people want to immigrate to I hear Australia nearly every time.
The whole world knows OZ is the place to be if you want to live in a non stress environment where your not ripped off at every turn by government and industry.

I bet you within ten years OZ will be full of immigrants from all over the world and of course its all downhill after that. Dont believe me? The NWO will make sure that happens you can bet on it. Its happned in Europe and escalting way beyond reasonable proportions just as the 0.8% elite population want to see

I have visited Melbourne a number of times and I loved it. I also really liked the clothes there, cheap and very stylish not to mention very well made IN OZ, I was amazed to see homegrowm quality clothes in every shop I visted. Shit just fitted me better there.

In future please tell people OZ a shit hole and the quality of life is equally shite. Also metion that muggings and murders are increasing by 2000% evey quarter and the price of a gallon of petrol will cots 9 pounds. Then they will move to Canada and become embroiled in the most stupid PC paranoid country in the whole world. Canada was a great place to consider moving to until they fucked it with their PC shite and strange liberal neo con policies. The UK is on a par with Canada now. I want to leave this shit hole as soon as I can. My first and only candidates are OZ and Venezuela.

Maybe I will be your neighbour?. Are you in to swinging?. Im up for it as long as your wife or GF isnt a fat steamer. I wil bring a hot hot bird with me and you get a shot ofher now and then.

:twisted:
HA HA HA :twisted:

lerky

Post by lerky » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:58 am

mercyplease wrote:
forge wrote:

forge your making a big mistake, telling people how wonderful life is in OZ will encourage your untainted and happy easy going land and populace to soon be invaded by millions. Of all the places in the world people want to immigrate to I hear Australia nearly every time.
The whole world knows OZ is the place to be if you want to live in a non stress environment where your not ripped off at every turn by government and industry.

I bet you within ten years OZ will be full of immigrants from all over the world and of course its all downhill after that. Dont believe me? The NWO will make sure that happens you can bet on it. Its happned in Europe and escalting way beyond reasonable proportions just as the 0.8% elite population want to see

I have visited Melbourne a number of times and I loved it. I also really liked the clothes there, cheap and very stylish not to mention very well made IN OZ, I was amazed to see homegrowm quality clothes in every shop I visted. Shit just fitted me better there.

In future please tell people OZ a shit hole and the quality of life is equally shite. Also metion that muggings and murders are increasing by 2000% evey quarter and the price of a gallon of petrol will cots 9 pounds. Then they will move to Canada and become embroiled in the most stupid PC paranoid country in the whole world. Canada was a great place to consider moving to until they fucked it with their PC shite and strange liberal neo con policies. The UK is on a par with Canada now. I want to leave this shit hole as soon as I can. My first and only candidates are OZ and Venezuela.

Maybe I will be your neighbour?. Are you in to swinging?. Im up for it as long as your wife or GF isnt a fat steamer. I wil bring a hot hot bird with me and you get a shot ofher now and then.

:twisted:
In fact, Australia is already full of immigrants from all over the world, that is a big part of what makes Australia such a nice place to be, so culturally diverse, with people of all colours and races considered 'australian'. Immigration to Australia is not like it is in the UK, let a new country in the EU then the gates open, To go to Australia you need to have something to offer, a particular skill which is in high demand, or you can start a business, or sometimes you can be lucky, with family etc.
And its not all rosy either, the government are still all wankers, and it's so far from anywhere else in the world if you want to travel, and it gets too bloody hot in the summer, 40+ celcius

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:25 am

muscleandhate wrote:Thinking of booking a one way ticket and leaving this little town behind. Anyone have any experience of Sydney? I'd be grateful to know any important information, and/or general experiences of jobs, nightlife, accommodation in Sydney. I'd probably be looking for casual barwork or whatever. Also, how expensive is running a car down under (keep in mind I currently reside in the UK)?

Anythings appreceiated. Thanks

Dude don't do it.
If you're coming from the UK too Australia MELBOURNE is the place you want to live ..........trust me :wink: .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:35 am

:lol: :lol:

he he...you're all right....there is alot of immigration already, but definitely not on the same scale as the UK

as for being flooded in 10 years/NWO/EU etc etc - I have wondered about this but to be honest I dont think it will get like that until they have the sub-orbital and you can fly here from heathrow in 3 hours

simple fact is IT IS A FUCKING LONG WAY

from anywhere really

and when your family is all in the UK it is very strange being so far, and unless you can afford business/1st class the flight back can be a nightmare

this is why so far most of the immigrants are SE Asian - chinese, Japanese, vietnamese - because for them it's not as far

but usually the ex-pat brits you meet here absolutely love it, occasionally you meet some who hate it because the sausages arent as good or something, but usually they are twits anyway

as for anyone here asking about coming out, I think fax is probably right about melbourne - it's definitely where there is the most going on in music

the weather is not much different to London though

Queensland is the fastest growing and most rapidly changing, and to be honest I still think it will be a while before it gets bad because the infrastructure at the moment is set up for way more people than there currently are - heaps of the roads are 4 lanes in the city and unlike London which has sprouted up out of the ruins of ancient streets, alot of it is planned and they already know people are flocking here

and Byron Bay is only 2 hours south and has a great club scene and wicked surrounds

depends what you;re into - if you like more city life and want a really vibrant music scene, Melbourne is probably the best bet, Sydney has better weather and has alot going for it too, and if you want a nice chilled life with hot weather and beaches check out Queensland

so my weekend so far consisted of going on a ferry over to stradbroke island, going to a lake, then driving though forest to where my missus was doing a gig, then today on a beautiful beach, walking around cliffs whale spotting then getting the ferry back at dusk! 8)

the downside here is it can get fucking hot - but it's usually only for a couple of months then it settles down and is pretty perfect most of the year

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:38 pm

thanks guys, I think I'll have a quick look around Sydney, try buy a car and then head to MEL, as most people tell me it rocks out there.

Cheers!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:52 am

How do people survive in OZ?

All signs seem to point to all the most lethal snakes, bugs, fish, (although apparently the people aren't......except forge.....)

:lol: