I wanna be like BT

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:40 am

nuperspective wrote:regardless of his musical styles his ideas and sounds are always one step ahead.

epic house - done it
prog house - done it
prog breaks - done it
glitch - done it

and usually before everyone else. and usually leaving most people to think 'how did he do that and how do i do it?'. 12 months later the sounds are everywhere.

not saying he invented the sounds, but he knows how to make you listen and take notice and think 'shit that was cool'.
Agreed on all counts. Just don't want to hear another american magazine boldy state that BT invented trance music. *cringing*

FaX-01

Re: I wanna be like BT

Post by FaX-01 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:48 am

jasinski wrote:Hey! i remember the 'good old days' at MP3.com- remember when they paid you money for every listen you got??? Ah.. the dot com dayz. :)

Sampling rain/found sounds isn't new.. Art of Noise, Orbital, heck- Depeche Mode!....

but TBU is still an amazing work- the closest thing to 'serious' music evolving out of the pop-electronic world I have heard for quite some time.
FaX-01 wrote:
nebulae wrote:I'm going to go and sample some rain, and then quantize it to perfect 256ths.

How unoriginal.
I had a No.1 track Mp3.com several years back when i owned the RS7000.
I sampled hail on the tin roof during a storm.
Performed a slice and seq job on it then programmed an intro that started off as the hail and storm and morphed into ryhtmic metallic pings that where the basis of the entire rythm track with slices split across tracks and midi channels 1-7 with filtering, detuning, repitching and time stretching on various slices to create the backdrop to the entire track.
That was some 5 odd years ago I might add.

I agree it's an amazing piece of work (TBu that is).
However I feel Mucrof's Remembranza is a better CD in many respects myself.
Though Fernando Corona does not have a BT level profile in the electronic community though he bloody well deserves too IMHO.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:55 am

BassTooth wrote:i also went out and bought BT's "This Binary Universe". my mom said she really liked it and it sounded like something she would buy. so i gave her the cd....
The only person in this thread so far with any sense. :twisted:

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:16 am

He's an Apple endorser isn't he.... that titel Binary Universe bears far too much resemblance to Universal Binary, don't you think? :wink:

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:03 am

jb61264 wrote:
jasinski wrote:
jb61264 wrote: I was just going to buy TBU this weekend...the price finally came down to where its fairly reasonable than when it was first released.

BT has a stutter effect that everybody says you can find information about on the internet...can something similar be accomplished if one uses Sampler...I saw the Sampler video and it looks like if you drag the sample end selection you can get the repeat stutter effect...could you map different lengths of the same sample (but at different lengths) to different keys to give you the capability to do something similar?
you know, you can do this with Simpler....
would you do it the same way that i sorta described above or are you thinking it would be accomplished in some other manner?

you can do this by setting a macro to the loop length, sample start, and loop parameters. then automate them in the track. just set the loop to a fairly small length.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:19 pm

Machinesworking wrote:The only person in this thread so far with any sense. :twisted:
Just so you know that with this statement, you're excluding yourself from the sensible list.

drez

Post by drez » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:03 pm

I'd like to hear from the people in this thread that are dogging BT's production skill in a different way. I'd like to hear some music that they have actually done that replicates/surpasses what he's doing with "glitch". Lots of people are beaten him down because the stutter edits he does can apparently be done easily with insert-software-here.

Please post a link to your stuff so we can all benefit from your amazing glitch talent.

BTW, the rain quantization that is being referred to was done on Emotional Technology's "The Last Moment of Clarity" which came out in 2003.

/drez
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:16 pm

I love your use of bold in order to emphasize your point.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:26 pm

who cares.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

drez

Post by drez » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:28 pm

nebulae wrote:I love your use of bold in order to emphasize your point.
Thanks.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:28 pm

I cared a lot more after the bold.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:30 pm

nebulae wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:The only person in this thread so far with any sense. :twisted:
Just so you know that with this statement, you're excluding yourself from the sensible list.
Of course, I knew that when I typed it. I don't give a rat's ass about BT, and find his adoration by technophiles slightly annoying. I haven't heard anything he's done that really seems like it has any gut to it, all elevator music IMO.
He didn't invent anything, he simply grabs on to the latest underground craze, and hands it to the Target/Wal Mart/Tesco crowd in easily accessible boring tried and true song structures and timbres, and to an extent, the fact that I get annoyed that other musicians don't recognize this is not "sensible".
I should have realized a long time ago that people will take gloss, predictability, and hype over substance, integrity and originality. I haven't realized though.

Riddle me this, how can you pretend that BT has an ounce of substance when he's written music for N-Syc?
Basically there is no underground anymore, you're all a bunch of corporate shills.

I'm not saying I'm perfect, I once bought a Billy Joel record when I was a kid. :oops: I changed though, all I'm saying people is give real music a chance, and stop paying attention to the shallow.
And yes, this is not a "sensible" post.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:36 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
nebulae wrote:
Of course, I knew that when I typed it. I don't give a rat's ass about BT, and find his adoration by technophiles slightly annoying. I haven't heard anything he's done that really seems like it has any gut to it, all elevator music IMO.
He didn't invent anything, he simply grabs on to the latest underground craze, and hands it to the Target/Wal Mart/Tesco crowd in easily accessible boring tried and true song structures and timbres, and to an extent, the fact that I get annoyed that other musicians don't recognize this is not "sensible".
I should have realized a long time ago that people will take gloss, predictability, and hype over substance, integrity and originality. I haven't realized though.

Riddle me this, how can you pretend that BT has an ounce of substance when he's written music for N-Syc?
Basically there is no underground anymore, you're all a bunch of corporate shills.

I'm not saying I'm perfect, I once bought a Billy Joel record when I was a kid. :oops: I changed though, all I'm saying people is give real music a chance, and stop paying attention to the shallow.
IOW you don't like it so it sucks.

It's like you always say, you can choose to not be offended.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Novel

Post by Novel » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:44 pm

As the saying goes, shallow waters run deep.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:59 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
nebulae wrote:

I agree with all of your points. Finally, someone with some common sense! ;-)

I've always asked myself what this guy does that the likes of Jelinek, Swayzak, the Kompakt artists, etc etc, haven't done and have done bettter.
One simple answer: marketing!
And I don't blame him for it; I love marketing. I find it amazing that someone like S. Jobs can make me - who gives a damn about phones - actually want to have one..... Well....

Best,
R
Last edited by FORMAT on Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.