Help, I'm having trouble with custom automap

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
astar

Help, I'm having trouble with custom automap

Post by astar » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:17 am

Hi, suddenly I have issues since Live 6.0.3 getting my custom automap to work. I have taken the UserConfiguration.txt file and modified it, then put it in a new folder under MIDI Remote Scripts folder.

But then in Live when I pick this new configuration, automap doesn't work. Automap works fine with all the default configuration though.

Also when I pick my custom config, I can no longer select devices (blue hand doesn't show up on them). I can get the blue hand to show up by right-clicking, then picking 'Lock to control surface' but even after that automap still doesn't work. I've double checked my settings and CCs, etc. and everythingis fine. Plus, if I select any of the default configurations it works fine (e.g. BCR2000)

Anyone with similar issues? Help! For now I'm stuck using the BCR2000 profile and just setting my CCs to that mapping :(

I'm using a Keystation Pro 88 with M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Live 6.0.3

cheers

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:32 am

Are you sure you are putting it in the correct directory? I had this same problem. It should go in "User Defined Scripts" not "MIDI Remote Scripts"

It's inside the Documents/Ableton, not in the Program Files/Ableton directory area

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:02 pm

Interestingly enough, I had this same issue last night too. My custom automap for my Virus TI stopped working for no reason. I coudl see Live was receiving midi in the status bar, but none of the mapped controls were being detected.

Even more strangely, after spending an hour trying everything I could think of, including double checking my userconfig.txt and my MIDI CC's for correctness, it suddenly started working again. I hadn't changed anything, didn't restart, didn't quit live, it just started working.

Weird.

astar

Post by astar » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:12 pm

longjohns wrote:Are you sure you are putting it in the correct directory? I had this same problem. It should go in "User Defined Scripts" not "MIDI Remote Scripts"

It's inside the Documents/Ableton, not in the Program Files/Ableton directory area

Thanks I'll try that when I get home. I have it is "MIDI Remote Scripts" right now.... But why does it show up as option in the controller list if that's not the right folder ?

Also, I couldn't find a folder for Ableton under the 'Documents and Settings' folder anywhere.

Anyway, I'll reply again when I can actually try this out !

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:13 pm

From reading the manual I remember that if you made a directory called "MY BALLS ARE HUGE" then "MY BALLS ARE HUGE" shows up as an option under control surfaces.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

astar

Post by astar » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:53 am

So I tried throwing it in 'My Documents/Ableton/User Defined Scripts' and still no dice. The profile actually doesn't even show up in preferences when it's in that folder. When it's in 'Program Files/Ableton/Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts' I at least get the option to pick the profile but I get no blue hand on devices when they are selected and automap doesn't work at all. WEIRD

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:56 am

astar wrote:So I tried throwing it in 'My Documents/Ableton/User Defined Scripts' and still no dice. The profile actually doesn't even show up in preferences when it's in that folder. When it's in 'Program Files/Ableton/Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts' I at least get the option to pick the profile but I get no blue hand on devices when they are selected and automap doesn't work at all. WEIRD
re-read my post above your last one, make a DIRECTORY
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

astar

Post by astar » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:57 am

yup already did that, the directory is named 'Astar' and the file UserConfiguration.txt is in it. Then I go in preferences and I can pick 'Astar' as a control surface but like I said no blue hand on selected devices and no automap

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:01 am

dang, sorry. I'm still at work, can't try anything out.

maybe if you had a device that DOES automap you could move its config file to another directory, like start over but with a device and file that you know work.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

astar

Post by astar » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:10 am

thanks for trying dude, this is a strange one. I'm sending an e-mail to support... I don't get it, maybe I need to put the correct "port name" for the usb device? I didn't have to before. This is what it says:
# If your controller is connected via USB, replace ControllerName
# with the name of the respective port. Live will then try to
# recognize the ports for you when you select your Instant-Mappings
InputName: ControllerName
OutputName: ControllerName
Where do I find the name of my USB port ?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:16 am

a-ha! the plot thickens...

It didn't make sense to me how Live would connect the txt file to a device on a USB port, suppose you had 4 devices on there, like the SL and BCR (both automap supported) and then 2 devices that weren't supported but had .txt files.

Anyway, try
USB DEVICE
or
USBDEVICE
or
USB DEVICE (1)
or
USB DEVICE [1]

as the name, that's how my BCR comes up (and the SL when I screw up the drivers, except the SL is #2, BCR is #1), I take it to be a generic name. Others have made custom templates, if nothing else you can start another thread on 'what are the port names for custom automap', you're nearly there!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:55 am

it just occured to me that the name is probably the same name you use to set the old style midi only setting, what name shows up in the midi in/out section for you to use the device? Try that.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:38 am

Yes, you definitely should change that section if you're using USB. For example, my file for an Oxy8 says "In USB Keystation" etc.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:40 am

longjohns wrote:Yes, you definitely should change that section if you're using USB. For example, my file for an Oxy8 says "In USB Keystation" etc.
lj - is that the same name that appears in the regular midi section?

I only have a bcr and sl, both supported so I can't really play around with this, not that I want to risk screwing it all up.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:48 am

Yes, the standard ports for the Oxy8 appear as "In USB Keystation" and "Out USB Keystation" so I used those names in that particular section of the UserConfiguration.txt file.