adjust multiple tracks at once

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
forge

adjust multiple tracks at once

Post by forge » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:50 pm

so select a few tracks, then change the volume of all of them simultaneously

I feel like Ableton are enticing us to do proper DAW stuff in Live but not giving us all the necessary functions

there are loads of really cool but slightly esoteric things being added but the basic and essential things often go to the bottom of "the list" (amo are you listening, it's your list now!!!!)

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:38 pm

This can be done via MIDI controller, and you have the choice between pickup and value scaling in Preferences.

I could see liking being able to select multiple controls with the mouse though.

davidbayles

Post by davidbayles » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:52 pm

you can do some cool stuff with a midi controller, but so far you can't retain the proportions of faders in relation to each other. this is a big oversight. you spend time getting a mix/submix together and then want to turn the whole thing up or down to maximize levels (or for whatever purpose) and you end up losing the mix. multiselecting and changing mixer parameters (while keeping proportions) is a must add! you should be able to multiselect tracks and change in/out as well for instance. so if you want the output of 8 tracks to be send a or track 21 or something like that, you don't have to route it 8 times. come on, Ableton! and give me some dang crossfades in the arrange! i love you guys but you're blowing it in the DAW department. I don't want to switch back to Logic or Pro Tools but I might have to. Come on...

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:46 pm

photonicrecords wrote:you can do some cool stuff with a midi controller, but so far you can't retain the proportions of faders in relation to each other. this is a big oversight. you spend time getting a mix/submix together and then want to turn the whole thing up or down to maximize levels (or for whatever purpose) and you end up losing the mix. multiselecting and changing mixer parameters (while keeping proportions) is a must add! you should be able to multiselect tracks and change in/out as well for instance. so if you want the output of 8 tracks to be send a or track 21 or something like that, you don't have to route it 8 times. come on, Ableton! and give me some dang crossfades in the arrange! i love you guys but you're blowing it in the DAW department. I don't want to switch back to Logic or Pro Tools but I might have to. Come on...
exactly - for the last few years I've been making more dance/club type music and it's been doing fine, but more recently I'm asking alot more DAW stuff from it (and I sacked Logicbase years ago now!) and I'm finding it lacking alot more than I realised - and some of it is really quite basic stuff

I would really really like to see Live 7 more like an amnesty on all the stupid annoying things that should already be there

but top of the list now should be the damn arrange bug, it was getting unbelievably bad yesterday

as for using a midi controller, often I dont turn the thing on until I need it

I have a UC33 and I find it too small and limited to try and emulate the full mix - 8 faders with 3 knobs above them dont come close to what I have going on -so usually I use it for key functions or with automap which doesnt help here

turning the midi controller on and setting it up just so I can turn multiple tracks up at once is not the solution!
:wink:

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:59 pm

This is exactly what I'm wanting as well. In Cubase I grouped tracks' faders and could move them all up or down by moving only one fader. This was such a helpful option.

The trick I'm doing with ableton is I click a fader and hit the down arrow a certain amount times. Then do the exact amount of hits on each channel... This is very time consuming, but at least its accurate..
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:03 pm

Yeah I'm down with this idea. +1
See I tried Shift clicking first fader, then second, third, etc then adjust. No joy.
Thats how I'd like it implemented.
Bye.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

davidbayles

Post by davidbayles » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:07 pm

shift clicking would be great. i think it would be really nice if you could just select multiple channels and then adjust whatever parameter you want and have it adjust that specific parameter for all the selected channels. i'm talking faders, panners, routing, muting, soloing, etc.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:29 pm

Good idea photonicrecords.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

davidbayles

Post by davidbayles » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:34 pm

I think other programs do things like this, so it's not really my idea, but I'd love to see it in Ableton, and please give me some dang crossfade options in the arrange! You're killing me Ableton...

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:37 am

photonicrecords wrote:shift clicking would be great. i think it would be really nice if you could just select multiple channels and then adjust whatever parameter you want and have it adjust that specific parameter for all the selected channels. i'm talking faders, panners, routing, muting, soloing, etc.
+100

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:04 am

photonicrecords wrote:you can do some cool stuff with a midi controller, but so far you can't retain the proportions of faders in relation to each other. this is a big oversight.
Sure you can, it's called setting it to 'value scaling' in the Preferences.

But I'm not trying to discount you guys' requests, I just like to post about possible ways to accomplish something. Even if you know all about it, there may be someone else who comes along and learns something... :)

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:14 pm

ya, but this is a common feature with most sequencers. You should be able to group channels together for doing basic tasks as said above.

In Live you can adjust the volume of multiple clips at once if you highlight various clips and adjust the volume in the edit view. This should also be done to tracks... Make it a Universal Feature ;)
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

paveloso

Post by paveloso » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:33 pm

photonicrecords wrote:shift clicking would be great...
Yeah, or GROUPS would also rule.
photonicrecords wrote: i'm talking faders, panners, routing, muting, soloing, etc.
I should add EDITING!

Say you're fine-touching a multi-mic drumset take: Instead of shift-clicking every track every time (which could be useful in some other situations), just group all drum tracks ONCE and name your group "Drumkit".
Whenever you need to adjust a slightly off-beat hit, just activate the group and cut-paste-move-timestretch (or whatever) all grouped tracks in one go.

Pro Tools does this and its oh so cool :!:

emptypond

Post by emptypond » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:46 am

yes this would definitely be a welcome feature in versions to come! for now value scaling will have to do, but multi selectable routing etc would indeed be great