akai mpd24 set up problem

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
bizzyfingers

akai mpd24 set up problem

Post by bizzyfingers » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:12 pm

sorry to be very basic people, ive just got my akai mpd24. im new to ableton too, does anyone know how to sync the two together? ive had me ableton set up at home and it worked fine, installed it at my girlfriend on her laptop. the samples work create a sound on the samples list but as i drop them into midi or audio file the seem to be muted... all i want is to have a bit drum and i cant figure it out!!!!

bizzyfingers

Post by bizzyfingers » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:33 pm

please people im gettin well stressed :evil:

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:54 am

Midi Mapping doesn't seem to work atm, but I can tell you how to manually assign the pads from the controller itself to the impulse notes...

Choose a new preset and name it something...

Hit pad 1 > press edit > (select note) > change the numbers to the following...

pad1 = 60
pad2 = 62
pad3 = 64
pad4 = 65
pad5 = 67
pad6 = 69
pad7 = 71
pad8 = 72

In ableton make a midi track with an impulse set, change the midi channel to 1 (if you set the pads to use channel 1, should be by default) and the monitoring to IN...

bizzyfingers

Post by bizzyfingers » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:17 pm

thats excellent, thank you for your help, only took me a day and a half haha :D

bizzyfingers

Post by bizzyfingers » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:25 pm

how did you know what peramiters to set it to? did you just scroll through?

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:18 pm

bizzyfingers wrote:how did you know what peramiters to set it to? did you just scroll through?
Well 60 = c5 in midi so I figured I'd try that and sure enough...
Ableton is weird like that, most programs use c3 as a starting point for drums.

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:44 am

iomega

Post by iomega » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:04 pm

anyone have any luck mapping the transport controls to map to the MPD24

sastre

Post by sastre » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:46 am

I got my MPD24 about a week ago, hooked it up, fired up Live, and banged out some drums. Felt great. For a few days, I was hard-pressed for time, so I just loaded up drum kits when I had a chance and drummed out rhythms. I did notice some double hits. But this is the least of my worries.

I use Live as my primary DAW, but typically do little in the way of live performance. But I wanted to setup a DJ template, so I started to edit the midi map, assigning scrolling functionality to the encoders. I realized that there was a problem. When I clicked on the parameter in Live I wanted to associate with a particular encoder, and then turned the knob to complete the assignment, the CC value for that knob (let's say 10) would show up for a second, but then switch to value 16 (the value for the bottom right encoder). So I started fooling with this encoder and noticed some strange things. Most of the other encoders, when turned clockwise, would register a smooth increase from 0-127, as displayed in the midi controllers lcd window. However, in the case of the encoder in question, when turned, the values would sort of inconsistently jump around. And when I tried to turn the encoder directly next to it (cc 15), it seemed to compete with the knob sending cc 16 (i.e., when I turned the encoder sending cc 15, the lcd window would for a moment display an increase in value, but then would show that the encoder being manipulated was no longer cc 15, but 16, and its value would jump around). The same thing happens with a few of the sliders, as well as some of the other encoders.

At first I thought it could be a software problem, but that thought only lasted a couple of seconds. I think it is a hardware problem...

As you can imagine, this makes setting up a template--or making use of the knobs and sliders at all--reasonably impossible. Really sad about this, as I had to wait over a month for the damn thing to come in the mail, since it was backordered.

Anyways, I was curious if anyone else had experienced this sort of problem. I just noticed it tonight, and tomorrow plan to contact Akai support. If I find out anything of use, I'll post here.

(pathetic sigh...)
hasta la fragmentación siempre...

Morphisto

the AKAI mpd24 'jitter'

Post by Morphisto » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:17 am

I went through the samething with this CC value being transmitted; its bug in this first release of the item. after talking with tech at AKAI, they are aware of it and will hopefully be releasing an update to fix the issue; which doesn't help for squat right now...kind of frustrating. I'm hoping to get another one shipped to me in the meantime.
2 dual-core Opteron 270s, Asus K8n-dl MB, 4 GB PC3200, 002r, mackie control

sastre

Re: the AKAI mpd24 'jitter'

Post by sastre » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:19 am

@Morphisto: I'm glad you posted that, cos no one else has mentioned having that problem so far!
Morphisto wrote:after talking with tech at AKAI, they are aware of it and will hopefully be releasing an update to fix the issue; which doesn't help for squat right now...kind of frustrating. I'm hoping to get another one shipped to me in the meantime.
Did they say it's a bug in *all* of the first-release machines, and if so, will having another shipped do the trick? The reason I ask is that I talked with the retailer who sold me the MPD, as well as Akai, and it seems like the best route for me would be to send it back to the retailer for an exchange, as they'll pay shipping both ways. But now I'm worried: the retailer is backordered until mid-March, so will it be a long wait to get another unit with the same problem?

Kinda disconcerting, because I'm not really keen on any of the other controllers out there (that I've fooled around with, like the triggerfinger and padKontrol).

Forgive my ignorance, but when you say "releasing an update", is this a hardware update for new items shipped, or some kinda other type of update?

Sorry for all the questions, just tryin' to figure out the next move!

pz...

nodj

Post by nodj » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:01 am

I've had the same hardware problems with my akai mpd 24 ... i bought one but the K8 knob was constantly firing and shifting :( ... so i took it back to the store and exchanged it for new one, plugged it in and the SAME PROBLEM!! 8O ... i took it back AGAIN and everything seemed ok ... until a couple of days ago, and now i have problems with K1, K2, and K8 ... :cry: AAAAARRG!!!! ... totally maddening ...

my hunch is that the rotary encoders are badly mounted which causes them break, so it won't fixable via a software update ... not a happy person ...

sastre

Post by sastre » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:25 pm

@nodj: That's terrible! So maybe this *is* a reasonably prevalent bug in the first run of the MPDs. I was about to do an exchange, but it's a long wait (again!) for the MPDs, and I'm no longer sure it's worth it. Really sucks, because, other than this problem, it's well made, solid encoders and sliders, and it actually HAS knobs and sliders (compared with the padKontrol, which for me is out of the question because of this).

Pretty down in the mouth, since there really isn't anything on the market that can compete with the ideas that went into the MPD (imo).

Thanks for posting nodj. Hopefully Akai will do something about this in the VERY NEAR future.

pz

stupac

Post by stupac » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:50 am

I just noticed the same problem tonight. Its very discouraging. The thing worked perfectly until now. I've had it for almost a month now. Its the "K3" encoder if that helps. I've also noticed some weird behavior with the "K1" encoder as well. My question is if its possible to disable the encoders so they don't send erroneous MIDI CC messages.

stupac

Firmware Upgrade

Post by stupac » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:12 am

I just installed the 1.07 Firmware upgrade from akai (they released it today) and i still get the same problems with the encoders that everyone is discussing in the forums. I guess it might be a hardware problem after all???