Plastikman specially customised Live version

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mag

Plastikman specially customised Live version

Post by mag » Sat May 15, 2004 12:01 am

seen this on another forum:

PLASTIKMAN LIVE SHOW TO UNVEIL UNPRECEDENTED TECHNOLOGIES AT MUTEK

Windsor, ON May 13, 2004 — Up until now, Richie Hawtin and his production team for the Plastikman Live show at Mutek 2004 have kept a very tight lid on the technology being developed for the show. They have begun lifting the curtain on a set of technological advances that will alter the course of how electronic music can be performed in a live scenario. The performance will involve Hawtin’s manipulation and control of multiple tracks of digital and analog audio, real time generation of a High Definition (HD) visual system, drum machines, synthesizers, effects and lights.

The Show/The Festival
The event will take place June 4, 2004 in Montreal, Canada as the opening event to this year’s Mutek festival (www.mutek.ca). It will be the first live performance of Plastikman material since 1995. The performances from that era, Glastonbury, the Fuk tour, etc, have gone down in the annals of electronic music history. The Mutek performance will be the only Plastikman live in North America.

The Music
Hawtin has resampled and re-arranged all of the Plastikman material dating back to the first Plastikman release, Sheet One (Plus 8/Novamute) from 1993. The entire catalogue is going to be reworked and performed live on stage, using a combination of classic machines and new software to meld old and new material into unique improvised mixes. Working in the studio, Hawtin has experimented with combinations of classic Plastikman material from Musik (Plus 8/Novamute), Consumed (Minus/Novamute), along with the new material from Closer (Minus/Novamute/Paperbag).

The Gear
Hawtin has designed and built an entirely custom MIDI controller incorporating the features and power of 5 MIDI devices into one. This unit, the CTRL LIVE, will give Hawtin full real-time control over 128 parameters of audio, video, lighting, and effects simultaneously.

For additional MIDI control, Hawtin will use an unreleased surface controller developed by Tactex. The units use the same technology the company developed for the Canadian Space Arm.

The MIDI system will work with one Apple G5 audio computer, as well as two massive, industrial custom-built 3D graphics and video PCs, multiple drum machines, analog and digital synthesizers and a host of analog and digital effects units. Hawtin will mix all audio using two Allen & Heath 14x4x2 Mix Wizards on stage.

The Software
Several of the most advanced performance-software developers have created breakthrough features in their software for the Plastikman show.

Ableton has created a special MIDI output feature in their nearly ubiquitous Live program that allows Hawtin to send detailed data to every connected instrument, locking every element together to a degree that had previously been unavailable. New features in Ableton Live also allow Hawtin to navigate his compositions through the CTRL LIVE device with amazing speed and dexterity.

Toronto-based Derivative has developed a custom-designed real-time animation and video sequencing environment for the Plastikman performance. Using their Touch software, Derivative has also programmed MIDI sync modules to lock the visual effects to Ableton Live, as well as custom software interface for the CTRL LIVE control surface.

The Images
Touch will synthesize real-time generative High Definition (HD) quality moving images. The material has been developed in collaboration with an international team of video artists, designers and animators. Ali Mahmut Demirel, who directed the video for Plastikman’s “Disconnect” single, based in Ankara, Turkey has shot hours of new material to be used in Touch. Crush Inc, based in Toronto, has designed 3D animations, and motion graphics. Honest, based in New York City has developed morphing graphics, video images and more. Jeffers Egan has developed real-time video environments and moving images.

Information is available at www.plastikman.com and www.mutek.ca
Mag

nyquist

Post by nyquist » Sat May 15, 2004 2:03 am

1) That is going to be sick!
2) What do you thinkg the midi features are? (Think it is just limited to program change, or full on chunks o midi?)
3) When can we gets?

mag

Post by mag » Sat May 15, 2004 2:38 am

Hehe, my thoughts exactly
Mag

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Sat May 15, 2004 7:50 am

any chance we'll get to see these in an upcoming release?

k

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat May 15, 2004 10:50 am

Well, I'm wet............
*emoticon* tongue on floor *emoticon*
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat May 15, 2004 11:07 am

Midi clip playback :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alass the naysayers have been kicked out on their arses !

i predict the new live midi clip and vsti hosting update in september :wink:

mag

Post by mag » Sat May 15, 2004 11:11 am

I though this would stir up a hornets nest :D
Mag

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat May 15, 2004 2:25 pm

I don't want to get TOO excited but...

F**K F@*K!!! F^@K!!!!!!

My band is planning to finish our new album in late August, then tour it from late October. Even trying to take off all my rose-tinted spectacles and be pessimistic, I can't see past those words

"MIDI output feature..." "send detailed data..."

MAY IT BE SO!!!!!!

Pleeeeese A-Team, give us something to go on. Just a teaser to let us know what you're up to. We have been faithful these past years. Please say we are worthy.... :wink:

:!: :!: :!:
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Grijak

Post by Grijak » Sat May 15, 2004 5:10 pm

Let's be patient; when Ableton are ready to talk to us about this, they will.

GO ABLETON! :D :P

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat May 15, 2004 5:47 pm

Grijak wrote:Let's be patient; when Ableton are ready to talk to us about this, they will.

GO ABLETON! :D :P
8O

the grinch

Post by the grinch » Sun May 16, 2004 1:42 am

that'd be wicked, i can drop fruityloops then! :lol:

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun May 16, 2004 5:37 pm

out of curiosity, where on the plastikman & mutek sites is this info located?
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

nyquist

Post by nyquist » Sun May 16, 2004 5:44 pm

Never saw it on either of those sites.

It is here though;

http://www.derivativeinc.com/Events/15-Plastikman/

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun May 16, 2004 5:47 pm

this sounds really, really sick. wish i could go to Mutek and see it for myself. (current circumstances have me on a strict budget)
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

drush

Post by drush » Mon May 17, 2004 4:47 pm

after seeing this pr i jokingly asked him if he had gotten them to do the altivec enhancement too. his response was that it runs fine on a 2ghzG5... 8)