Live's LIVE looping

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Hatdaddy

Live's LIVE looping

Post by Hatdaddy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:54 pm

This is probably a stupid question but I am trying to set up mulitiple tracks in Session view, record an audio clip in one, then I select the next track and record a clip in it so that they are layered. Of course this is easy to set up and do but what I really want is to not have to hit the stop button in the first track so it will play. I want it to stop recording and start playing right when I start the next one... make sence? I've looked at a few programs that allow you to set up multiple keystrokes via one midi command but unfortunately, that's a little over my head. Is there a simple setting already built in to Live 5 that will allow me to do this?

Thanks

tiedyetrogdor

Post by tiedyetrogdor » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:03 am

try to find a VST called GLoop. It works great, but when I went to find the link again, it was gone. However, once you find it...It works just like a real stompbox.

Hatdaddy

Post by Hatdaddy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:29 am

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks really cool but unfortunately, it's PC only and I'm on Mac. I do appreciate you taking the time to help.

agent_orange

Post by agent_orange » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:45 pm

THIS IS KILLAAAAAA!!!!
visit my blog: www.visionorange.com

Loopy-Joe

Post by Loopy-Joe » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:28 am

I just discovered this and it resolves your issue.

First of all your tracks have to be armed...may I suggest using an audio track 1 as input and monitor only....then set the inputs of your other recording tracks to Audio1.
Arm all the tracks but turn the monitor off for eveything except input....the reason for this is that each monitor amplifies the input signal in the mix.

Set your global quantisation to whatever...1 bars for eg....this is key1

Now whatever action you take will occur at the quantisation point.
Click a slot and it starts to record...click it again and it stops recording and starts playing(the point being that you dont have to wait till the end of the bar...if you click it again in mid bar it still waits till the end of the bar to start playing back.

Meanwhile click the next slot in the next track...it will flash but wont start recorcding until the end of the bar.

So in essence you can click on a slot to start recording...and immediatley click on it again...and immediatley click on the next slot to record in....at the end of the bar...the first recording will start playing back and the second will start....
Just try it..sound more complicated than it is!

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:14 am

Yeah, and it takes a little getting used to but is worth it. I'm out of practice since I don't have a soundcard for new new laptop that can take MIDI In of my foot pedal. So in essence, i'm kind of starting over!

gabster

Post by gabster » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:43 pm

watch Kid Beyond's video on Ableton. He does a similar thing but using a $800+ footswitch that send multiple commands on one stroke.
He briefly describes what he's doing in his performances...

fascinating... except the $800+ :lol:

Gabi.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:50 pm

gabster wrote:watch Kid Beyond's video on Ableton. He does a similar thing but using a $800+ footswitch that send multiple commands on one stroke.
He briefly describes what he's doing in his performances...

fascinating... except the $800+ :lol:

Gabi.
$800?? Where did you get that info?

Each pedal/button is sending one command, but he's using a 3rd party piece of software to convert that into multiple things - like ControlAID or MIDIStroke. All you need is something like the Behringer FCB1010 (popular here) which only cost me £50.

If he had $800 to splash on a pedal alone you'd think he'd have better curtains. :roll:

gabster

Post by gabster » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:04 pm

Fatrabbit...

You are right, I was wrong. I quickly looked it up and it is $400 instead of 800 - heh - small difference... Anyway I am talking about Ground Control Pro:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=153511

And again you are right again... he might be using 3rd party software for distributing the MIDI message...

Thanks for the correction!
Gabi.

Herne

Post by Herne » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:20 am

fatrabbit wrote: If he had $800 to splash on a pedal alone you'd think he'd have better curtains. :roll:
Quoted for truth, and comedy genius.

Pretty sure it's a concoction of his pedal and BOME.
Live 6.10 | Vista Ultimate | Reason 3 |
Athlon 64 X2 6400 | 4GB DDR2 8000 |
Axiom 61 | BCR2000 | PadKONTROL |

Hatdaddy

Post by Hatdaddy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:49 pm

Ok, thanks everybody for your suggestions. I was eventually able to figure out what I needed using MidiStroke.

agent_orange

Post by agent_orange » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:23 pm

Loopy-Joe wrote:I just discovered this and it resolves your issue.

First of all your tracks have to be armed...may I suggest using an audio track 1 as input and monitor only....then set the inputs of your other recording tracks to Audio1.
Arm all the tracks but turn the monitor off for eveything except input....the reason for this is that each monitor amplifies the input signal in the mix.
I also reccomend exact this way of Looprecording.
To use the Source-Channel only as Input and the other tracks with "monitor off" gives you the best workflow. So you don't need extrabuttons for track-arming on your controller.
visit my blog: www.visionorange.com

pacific_2096

Post by pacific_2096 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:16 am

Hi agent_orange, the one problem with using a single track for monitoring is that you may want to apply different effects, pans, volume settings when you're playing the different tracks / loops, instead of being stuck with the same monitor output settings each time.

This is an issue I'm stuck on at the moment, as described more fully in the topic:

Please use rounding for un-arming tracks

in Features wishlist

Cheers, Tim