Is "Call to Prayer" sample offensive?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bassic Dave

Post by Bassic Dave » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:20 pm

Also, I am muslim and there are many versions and viewpoints in the religion just as in christianity. This would definitely be frowned on by fundamentalist versions but fundamentalists hate themselves and there own brothers in religion so we shouldnt restrict our artistic expression for the sake of the feelings of insane people.
"Without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave." - G.I. Gurdjieff

www.myspace.com/8118beats

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:21 pm

As for the original question, I've heard samples like that on plenty of Arabic music.

And please don't use the word 'honour killing'. It's a stupid term and was invented to sell newspapers. Nobody will kill you for making a song.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:22 pm

Bassic Dave wrote:Also, I am muslim and there are many versions and viewpoints in the religion just as in christianity. This would definitely be frowned on by fundamentalist versions but fundamentalists hate themselves and there own brothers in religion so we shouldnt restrict our artistic expression for the sake of the feelings of insane people.
But the fundamentalists hate music in general, so....
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:31 pm

noisetonepause wrote: Nobody will kill you for making a song.
I guess that's a similar thought to the one Salman Rushdie had.
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

Bassic Dave

Post by Bassic Dave » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:33 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
Bassic Dave wrote:Also, I am muslim and there are many versions and viewpoints in the religion just as in christianity. This would definitely be frowned on by fundamentalist versions but fundamentalists hate themselves and there own brothers in religion so we shouldnt restrict our artistic expression for the sake of the feelings of insane people.
But the fundamentalists hate music in general, so....
Thats what im saying, so why should be be worried if a sample in a song will offend them? If its not that they will find something to be offended by.
"Without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave." - G.I. Gurdjieff

www.myspace.com/8118beats

info_warfare

Post by info_warfare » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:40 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:Dawkins... his views on this are as intolerant as the people he criticizes.
Really? Explain please. And you don't think he is justified in his views (or did you not even read his book God Delusion or see the documentary?)

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:47 pm

brand nubian did it in 1993 for the track "Allah u Akbhar"

released as a 12' single and a popular video

good luck
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

info_warfare

Post by info_warfare » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:00 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
dave_house wrote:i recommend Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion ( http://tinyurl.com/2usjna ) for a fascinating argument about the automatic (and in his opinion, unjustified) respect that religion demands.
Fascinating? He is a fascinating person... d'you think he was molested by a priest, or was he just born a complete cunt?
He also highlights the ludicrousness of the Profit Mohammed cartoon fiasco. Eg, the adding of additional, more offensive images not originally published in the Danish paper to those proliferated over the muslim world in order to generate anti-Western hype. The $1million bounties placed on the cartoonists heads. The churches and consulates that were burned and the people who were killed who had nothing to do with any of it. All for some ink on a page in a non-muslim country with a free press. Utter insanity. And remember, many Muslim countries regularly publish anti-semitic views and cartoons themselves.
It is a fact that the demonstrations in Iran, Lebanon, and Libya had nothing in to do with the cartoons themselves. In Iran they were organised by the government to show that they do allow demonstrations (and carefully controlled - any damage to Danish property, and the Iranian government would have had to pay), in Lebanon they were started mostly by Syrians out to destabilise Lebanon, and in Libya they spent five minutes shouting "Down with Denmark" and quickly moved on to "Down with Qadhafi".... And that's just three examples I remember off the top of my head.
Really? And where do you get that shit? And the "5 minutes of shouting Down with Denmark" and quickly moved on?

Actually, according to ALL reports, at least 139 people were killed in protests, mainly in Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan and Afghanistan in DIRECT relation to the controversy surrounding the 12 cartoons that were published in Jyllands-Posten. Each cartoon showed The Prophet Muhammad in a fairly bad light, but more importantly, to ALL Muslims (not just the fundementalists) it is FORBIDDEN to show ANY image of the Prophet Muhammad because it says so in the Qu'ran.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:02 pm

simpleton wrote:Don't you think this selective sensitivity by Islamists is a bit ridiculous? They go into a global frenzy over some cartoons yet they enjoy blowing up each other's mosques on a daily basis- what a crock!
what??!

global frenzy??!

they blow up mosques on a daily basis?? what all 1.5 billion of them??

your use of the word islamists then would be like me saying all westerners are david koresh following evangelical christian lunatics

I think all people with that insular attitude - and in fact all people who think there was anything at all just in the Iraq war - should be made to watch the documentary that was on ABC (australian ABC) tonight called "in the shadow of the palms"

one of the best impartial bits of good journalism I've ever seen - no opinions, just documentary footage showing the before and after

it started a month before the Iraq war and showed normal Iraqi people with normal happy lives - alot of them very upbeat and cheerful and saying about how unbelievable all this stuff Bush was spouting was and how it was just to justify his straight up colonialism and oil grabbing, and how under saddam they are actually quite free and safe

they were proud and determined to protect their culture and nation and hoping that the Iraqi army would somehow fight the invaders off

and these weren't terrorists, they were normal people, men, women, young old, university lecturers, newspaper salesmen etc etc

just normal people living a normal life like anywhere else - not the slightest feeling that they lived under some iron fisted oppressive regime

then good ole uncle sam came in to "liberate" them (of their oil) and completely fucked their world -

no feeling person could have watched that and not seen what a compete fuckup it was - and it was founded on racist and simplistic ideas such as these "islamists" all being like inferior savages who needed to be shown the way or something

I am still staggered by the whole thing that people are so arrogant to not see that, and so easily manipulated into buying the evil lies they spouted to start that war - and it is blanket ignorant attitudes like that one there that made it possible

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:10 pm

sorry abour that rant - the doco I just watched opened a wound...

in answer to the question - personally my feeling is there is loads of great middle eastern and indian singing like that around, why not just choose to not offend anyone if you can avoid it?

edge100

Post by edge100 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:17 pm

info_warfare wrote:
Meef Chaloin wrote:Dawkins... his views on this are as intolerant as the people he criticizes.
Really? Explain please. And you don't think he is justified in his views (or did you not even read his book God Delusion or see the documentary?)
www.samharris.org

Wake up, people.

dave_house

Post by dave_house » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:22 pm

Wake up, people.
eh? you're angry because he praised a book you didn't like?

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:24 pm

compositeone wrote:
noisetonepause wrote: Nobody will kill you for making a song.
I guess that's a similar thought to the one Salman Rushdie had.
salmon rushdie is still alive and well
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

edge100

Post by edge100 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:34 pm

dave_house wrote:
Wake up, people.
eh? you're angry because he praised a book you didn't like?
Nope, not angry. Just hoping that everyone reads people like Dawkins and Harris and recognizes the state we've got ourselves in. The whole idea that we would be worried about 'offending' someone in this way is absurd.

The 'wake up' comment was rhetorical.

dave_house

Post by dave_house » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:37 pm

Nope, not angry. Just hoping that everyone reads people like Dawkins and Harris and recognizes the state we've got ourselves in. The whole idea that we would be worried about 'offending' someone in this way is absurd.

The 'wake up' comment was rhetorical.
ah i see, sorry, getting muddled about who posted what... i agree with you incidentally, its a crazy state of affairs

BTW, how do you do that 'so-and-so wrote:' thing?!