Callin out for feedback on newbie dnb

Share your tracks with other users.
davidnordstrom

Callin out for feedback on newbie dnb

Post by davidnordstrom » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:01 pm

My first steps in makin electronic music. Use Ableton 6 n make my all loops on the pianoroll. This is more of a mashup of loops i made. wouldnt call it a song more tryin to create minimalistic mixes..No midikeyboards only keyboard n mouse (which u can probably hear :) if anyone has some tips on some sweet machine to get that provides a good aid, plz let me know! All feedback appreciated! cheers :D

http://www.dnbshare.com/mixes0/pend_rend.mp3

samz|sight

Post by samz|sight » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:16 am

I love my m-audio gear. If you can spring for it the ozonic is a great midi/audio interface. You can hook your pc/mac via firewire to it and then run it to your monitors. There are also a ton of assignable keys/faders that you can really exploit in Ableton.

Keep at the tunes man.

If you want, take one of your drum loops, load it into the main sequencing window in ableton and just chop the crap out of it (rearrange the drum hits). Alter the pitch of some of the hits and see what kind of beats you can come up with. It's a great way to learn some of the sample manipulations that ableton can do and it's just plain fun :D

4 bar loop of your chopped beats plz, boh!
Live 6/Reason 3/Reaktor 5/Battery 3/ Guitar Rig 2/2GHz Dual Core iMac 2 GB RAM
http://www.myspace.com/samdadds

davidnordstrom

Post by davidnordstrom » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:02 am

thx for the feedback!
just not followin what u mean to keep the loops in 4 bars? my two main loops r 4 bar as for most of everything else.

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:37 am

I really like the first half, its sort of uncomfortable to listen to with those eerie sounds which I really like. :)

I like the way the beats step up a gear in the second half but I don't like the general feel of the track at that point as it feels a bit mechanical to me. Drum and bass can be hard and/or dark but still have a certain funk or soul to it in my opinion. I know this does seem contradictory to what I said about the first half and it is but hey what can say. :D
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

sebovzeoueb

Post by sebovzeoueb » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:55 pm

Yeah, I can see that it is more an assemblage of loops than a structured piece, but I really like some of the ideas in there. I personally like really mechanical stuff. Why try to make stuff sound human when it is machine music?
Keep at it and arrange some stuff in a more structured way and I think your stuff could sound really good, it just needs to be a bit less bitty.
Also to my taste some of the effects and samples at the beginning are a bit loud compared to the rest of the mix...
MacBook Pro 17", 2GB RAM; Live 6, Pod XT Live, MOTU Ultralite, M-AUDIO Axiom 25, Electric and Acoustic Ukuleles, Fretless Bass.

http://www.myspace.com/s2belectronica

davidnordstrom

Post by davidnordstrom » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:16 pm

compositeone wrote:I like the way the beats step up a gear in the second half but I don't like the general feel of the track at that point as it feels a bit mechanical to me.

as u probably can hear the main beats r made out of two loops that i made n rendered in ableton. basically to reduce cpu usage n to simplify it. unfortunately the soundquality of these rendered beats r really poor, especially when played together, which makes the sound alot more "mechanical" n generally shittier then when played in separate channels. is there a way to reduce this loss of soundquality when rendering the beats?

thanks for ur opinions!