Mute Groups?!?! (MPC simulation related)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
arjun

Mute Groups?!?! (MPC simulation related)

Post by arjun » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:23 am

kinda new to live, is there anyway to simulate mute groups simliar to the mpc?

thanks in advance,

arjun
Last edited by arjun on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:42 am

If you are on live 5, you can route audio from several tracks to one track, with monitoring "in", and then mute all the group by muting this track. But it doesn't work with solo.
If you are on live 6 , I think you can map one midi message to several functions.

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:46 pm

This is interresting, would this scenario be possible with this map MIDI method?:

I usually route all drum/perc tracks to one track and the rest to another. During recording I route the active recording track directly to main mix. This way I can make a decent monitor mix quite fast :-).

What I miss now is a kind of solo in place function for those two submix tracks, so these could be forced open when other tracks are soloed. A sort of "Disable solo for this track" funcion.

Is this possible in Live 6 as is?

Eagle

arjun

Post by arjun » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:31 pm

i guess i wasnt totaly clear. when you have a clip that is set as "one-shot", is there a way to turn it off "trigger off" by triggering another clip on?

the mpc does this really well (originally intended to simulate an open, close hi hat). its called mute grouping on the MPC, hence the subject title. sorry about the confusiion

JaeOne3345

Post by JaeOne3345 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:23 am

Arjun I know exacty what you are talking about.

Try to load the samples you want to cut each other off into Sampler, and set the voices/polyphony to "1" so that only one can play at a time, thus cutting the previous sound off.

Or do this in something like Battery and/or Kontakt where voice groups are thought out better.

arjun

Post by arjun » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:57 am

JaeOne3345 wrote:Arjun I know exacty what you are talking about.

Try to load the samples you want to cut each other off into Sampler, and set the voices/polyphony to "1" so that only one can play at a time, thus cutting the previous sound off.

Or do this in something like Battery and/or Kontakt where voice groups are thought out better.
wow.. thanks i dont know why i didnt think of this.

though the mp is a bit more robust, id will def work. (if you havent noticed, im axing my akai).

thanks again,

arjun

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:37 am

In Impulse, slot 8 has an extra button in the lower left hand corner of the interface marked LINK. If this is enabled, slot 7 and slot 8 become "grouped". i.e. Slot 7 will mute Slot 8 when triggered, and vice-versa.

The idea being you use these for an open and closed hat. Tiny little parameter, but oh so useful! :)

arjun

Post by arjun » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:26 am

Pitch Black wrote:In Impulse, slot 8 has an extra button in the lower left hand corner of the interface marked LINK. If this is enabled, slot 7 and slot 8 become "grouped". i.e. Slot 7 will mute Slot 8 when triggered, and vice-versa.

The idea being you use these for an open and closed hat. Tiny little parameter, but oh so useful! :)

THATS WHAT IM TALKIN BOUT!

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:50 am

Also, since each track can only have one playing clip at a time, you can do this on the session grid.

arjun

Post by arjun » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:14 pm

longjohns wrote:Also, since each track can only have one playing clip at a time, you can do this on the session grid.
right, but the idea is to have it less rhythmically locked.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:38 pm

Then turn off the quantize. Just throwing options out there.

arjun

Post by arjun » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:08 pm

longjohns wrote:Then turn off the quantize. Just throwing options out there.
is there a way to turn off quantization locally (ie for a single track).

seriously guys, thanks for all the help.

im still waiting for my copy of 6 to come in the mail, plus my next two weeks of exams to be done. after that, ableton.com

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:06 pm

You can set the quantize individually for each clip in the Launch section of the Cilp View.