Dancetracks Digital Remix competition: 'Mucky Star'

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dCross

Dancetracks Digital Remix competition: 'Mucky Star'

Post by dCross » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:30 pm

Hi everybody - just wanted to let you know that we're helping with a remix contest over at Dancetracks Digital:
'Mucky Star' Remix Contest

There's a special Ableton Live set with all of the remix stems, so you can be up and running immediately. The top prize is a digital release on Berlin-based Get Physical Records.

(Note: if you're an existing Live user, you can still win something from Ableton as part of the 1st prize. For instance, if you own Live 6, we'll give you Operator + Sampler instead of another copy of Live 6.)
David Cross
Public Media Coordinator
Ableton Inc. (NYC)

cross@ableton.com

laurence

Post by laurence » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 pm

a chance to get signed on get physical!?

*starts playing keys frantically*
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:00 pm

The original is a great tune!

Tim Moore

Post by Tim Moore » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:19 pm

fully agree

slow riot

Post by slow riot » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:58 pm

great original track, and seemingly a great opportunity, but I must protest about that live set.

It looks like they spent about 5 seconds putting it together, and haven't bothered making it useable or helpful in any way. Just loaded the wav files in at the right bpm, and set up mostly incorrect loopings and start points.

To makes the loops rhythmically useable (as in to play like in the original, and not just use the sounds in them for sampling), there are some adjustments that need to be made... here are the ones I have found so far:

to get 'LP PRKY' swinging properly, you need to set it to loop from 1.2 to 1.4, with the start point at 1.2.3

and to get the off kilter hi hats from the original, you need to use 'FX HISSY', which is set to loop from 1 to 1.4 (i.e. 3 beats).

It has a start point at 1.1.3 and also a volume envelope that mutes the last hat at 1.3.3.

hope this helps some of you with yr remixing! Once all that looping is set up right it gets pretty funky!
ibook g4, osx 10.4.7, maudio f/w audiophile, novation sl25

myspace

laurence

Post by laurence » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:04 pm

thanks for that slow, it seemed alright to me but il have to double check now 8)

i think they lay down quite a challenge by arranging in that way- makes it hard to differ from the (truely excellent) original

saying that, ive already done a v1 of the remix, albeit with samples i cant use, bet hey- got a month or so to work on that! :D

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:33 pm

slow riot wrote:great original track, and seemingly a great opportunity
Don't want to complain because I like this track and it does seem like a great opportunity, but if you participate do read the fine print -- maybe it's normal for label-run remix contests, but the rights assignment is pretty restrictive.

jesQuick

Post by jesQuick » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:03 pm

tylenol wrote:
slow riot wrote:great original track, and seemingly a great opportunity
Don't want to complain because I like this track and it does seem like a great opportunity, but if you participate do read the fine print -- maybe it's normal for label-run remix contests, but the rights assignment is pretty restrictive.

Go on... Please elaborate. 8O

laurence

Post by laurence » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:56 pm

"all rights go to GPM" etc.

and no samples used that you dont own the rights for,

basically they get afree track (minus maybe £1300ish for the prizes) and dont have to buy any sample rights + probably some more t&cs, i havnt read it for a couple of days

tribewalker

Post by tribewalker » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:04 pm

you could use royalty free samples right?

just wondering....
===============
audio engines are going to differ very slightly betwen 200 dollar soft synths

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:38 pm

You further acknowledge, certify and agree that Elektrochemie/Get Physical shall be deemed the author and/or exclusive owner throughout the world of any and all rights in and to the entry (including, but not limited to, the right, title and interest in and to the worldwide copyrights in the 'sound recording(s)' (as defined in the Copyright Act of the United States of America) and underlying composition embodied therein and any renewal or extension of rights in connection therewith), and of any and all other rights thereto.
I've had enough of that sort of behaviour, the attitude that a remix is just a minor derivative work simply doesn't stand up when often its the remixes that make the hit.
Although points are a pain in the arse to administer, I would much prefer a clause where any great success or use in an advert will trigger a secondary payment.

Its a big list of half arsed tracks that have been made into hits by remixes, where the remixer gets some token amount of cash and the label reaps any rewards.
With most remixes the song is a complete rebuild, so a complete rights assignment for a possible $75 gift token just seems insulting to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't offering Live 6 as a prize a little surreal / pointless in a contest directed at live users?

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2006/ ... laves.html
... But Marriott signed a contract for the remix alone, and thus never received proper credit. Read any review of the single and it will duly heap praise upon Bodyrox. In fact, off the back of the tune's success, Bodyrox have signed a fat contract with Notting Hill Music. Marriott has been left with, well, kudos from people who really know the score. And kudos, while hardly unwelcome, won't put milk on your Shreddies.

laurence

Post by laurence » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:48 pm

if you read the post, they'll give you sampler/the other synth instead- still a weak deal, esp. if you have these

slow riot

Post by slow riot » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:58 pm

Getting shafted is standard procedure in these remix contests from what I've seen so far. But I think it's worth taking it solely for the possibility of some life changing exposure.

Even if you make a great track and they take all the money etc. it's pretty unlikely that they'll say they wrote it themselves.

Well, either way I already own live 6, operator and sampler and I'm still gonna work my arse off to make a good track.
ibook g4, osx 10.4.7, maudio f/w audiophile, novation sl25

myspace

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:10 pm

slow riot wrote:Getting shafted is standard procedure in these remix contests from what I've seen so far. But I think it's worth taking it solely for the possibility of some life changing exposure.

Even if you make a great track and they take all the money etc. it's pretty unlikely that they'll say they wrote it themselves.

Well, either way I already own live 6, operator and sampler and I'm still gonna work my arse off to make a good track.
agreed, i think they should do away with all the other prizes and have you opt out for the XONE 3D mixer, that would be fitting :!:

dCross

Post by dCross » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:33 pm

dphouse84 wrote:agreed, i think they should do away with all the other prizes and have you opt out for the XONE 3D mixer, that would be fitting :!:
Hehe, though I would definitely like a prize like that, I'm sure many others - especially those who aren't DJs - would consider it a prize not worth winning.

These remix contests are difficult for us to sponsor, exactly for some of the reasons mentioned here. An official Ableton remix contest implies use of our software, so there's not much more we can do in the form of prizes.

If you happen to own Live 6 + Sampler + Operator, and are a winner, I'm sure we can work out something for you, like an extra-special swag goodie bag ;)
David Cross
Public Media Coordinator
Ableton Inc. (NYC)

cross@ableton.com