Computer Music Ableton Live Special Issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dCross

Post by dCross » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:42 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:instead of trying to create one special that covers all users, create two or three that individually cover beginners, moderate and advanced users - at the very least target certain levels of users then at least you can decide whether it is for you or not.

For a magazine that puts out 4 special issues a year (most of which have nothing to do with Live), this would be an impossibility.
Having a moderate user buy a 'special' for a few pages of advanced tips that can be found on here for free is a little unfair.
You raise an interesting point, but I beg to differ. For those unfamiliar or unwilling to visit our forums, the service provided by culling tips from said forum can be a valuable one. The fact that we're both forum posters makes this difficult, but a lot of people out there don't like wading through thousands of posts to find a few small gems.

At the end of the day, the only thing these magazines (or any press/educational outlet) can do is provide information, means, and know-how. It's a service - you're paying for the convenience of not having to seek out this information on your own. Your perceived value of this service is based on your decision to pay or not pay for the service.
David Cross
Public Media Coordinator
Ableton Inc. (NYC)

cross@ableton.com

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:04 pm

dCross wrote:Your perceived value of this service is based on your decision to pay or not pay for the service.
I did perceive it to a valuable service; unfortunately I only discovered the true value of the service after I had paid for it (such is life!), hence my original comment - it's a beginner's guide with a few decent tips at the end. Maybe they should have called it 'A Beginners Guide to Live with a few Advanced Tips From The Ableton Forum', in which case I wouldn't have bought it :wink:
..?

Naive Teen Idol

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:07 pm

I would concur. I was maybe a bit disappointed by the issue initially — but mostly b/c I don't own EIC, which the big tutorial relied pretty heavily upon.

Still, the issue does a really good job of combining the things you can do in Live w/ certain sound design/production suggestions. Even if many of them are basic in and of themselves, they show practical uses for some of these things (such as using Note Length to punch up bass parts) that might not occur to even a moderately experienced Live user. Plus, the racks and sounds are quite good.
MacBook 2 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 2GB RAM, Live 6.10, Reason 4.01, Reaktor 5.14, Novation Remote SL 25, GForce Oddity, TimewARP 2600, Arturia CS-80V 2, UC-33e, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland Jupiter 6 w Europa mod

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Naive Teen Idol wrote:I would concur. I was maybe a bit disappointed by the issue initially — but mostly b/c I don't own EIC, which the big tutorial relied pretty heavily upon.

Still, the issue does a really good job of combining the things you can do in Live w/ certain sound design/production suggestions. Even if many of them are basic in and of themselves, they show practical uses for some of these things (such as using Note Length to punch up bass parts) that might not occur to even a moderately experienced Live user. Plus, the racks and sounds are quite good.
I’m not sure who you are concurring with as you didn't quote anyone, but my original point was regarding the targeted audience which is not clear when browsing through it in a magazine shop.
..?

tribewalker

Post by tribewalker » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:57 pm

I saw that advertisement around the 2nd of feb when i picked up my issue of CM at barnes and noble. Unfortunately I didnt see the Ableton special on the B&N rack, and when i asked someone about it, they had no clue.

Im considering ordering it, as im not a big magazine person, but I make sure to buy my CM every month and I think this ableton live special issue would be worth it.

Im just going to have to order it online, which im a little nervous about....
===============
audio engines are going to differ very slightly betwen 200 dollar soft synths

Naive Teen Idol

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:28 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:
Naive Teen Idol wrote:I would concur. I was maybe a bit disappointed by the issue initially — but mostly b/c I don't own EIC, which the big tutorial relied pretty heavily upon.

I’m not sure who you are concurring with as you didn't quote anyone
I was concurring with dCross.
MacBook 2 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 2GB RAM, Live 6.10, Reason 4.01, Reaktor 5.14, Novation Remote SL 25, GForce Oddity, TimewARP 2600, Arturia CS-80V 2, UC-33e, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland Jupiter 6 w Europa mod

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Naive Teen Idol wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote:

I’m not sure who you are concurring with as you didn't quote anyone
I was concurring with dCross.
No worries, I'm glad you found it useful :wink:
..?

Mag_Music

Post by Mag_Music » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:09 pm

tribewalker wrote:I saw that advertisement around the 2nd of feb when i picked up my issue of CM at barnes and noble. Unfortunately I didnt see the Ableton special on the B&N rack, and when i asked someone about it, they had no clue.

Im considering ordering it, as im not a big magazine person, but I make sure to buy my CM every month and I think this ableton live special issue would be worth it.

Im just going to have to order it online, which im a little nervous about....
Things could have changed, I haven't checked today, but last time I did for someone else here the issue was sold out. I saw a single copy in the B&N near me yesterday, so I suppose it's still possible to find it in stores.
What it is (for Now): (2) Lenovo Dual Core desktops, Edirol PCR-800, Sonar 8.5 PE, Live 8 w/Operator and Sampler, the unloved PT 8, Kontakt 4, Battery 3, GPO 4, mulititudinous plugs and libraries, much unused hardware. And... silence; much silence.

Nav

Post by Nav » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:53 pm

The magazine was entitled a computer music live special and thats exactly what it is, the preface tells you whats in it.

It's a magazine and if you want something aimed at what you perceive your level then perhaps a book or tutorial dvd is better suited, but for a magazine all about ableton it was great. It totally depends on what you get out of magazines , I like reading about things im interested in and regardless of what was in it its nice to read about your interests.

The usual monthly issue of computer music sometimes has things I find useful and things I dont, but to me the moneys worth it for the samples on that cd every month. You can get in the region of what youd get on a loopmasters cd that youd pay £50-60 for - bargain!

Keep them coming please computer music

nutuLive

help... Can't find CM Live 6

Post by nutuLive » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:52 am

I've checked all our local bookstores and can't find it. If anyone can find an extra i could really use some help getting my hands on a copy...

or... if anyone is through with / disappointed with their copy (with disc)

Maybe someone would be willing to pre arrange an eBay sell / buy thang....

p.s. I'm in the US

Best to all.... nutu 8)

mcintosh_i

Running the tutorial Live Sets

Post by mcintosh_i » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:06 am

I have a technical question regarding the files on the CD.

I load up the Tutorial's Live Set called ReadyToArrange.als (excuse mistakes in the filename, I'm at work now and can't remember the exact filenames), but I get a few errors about Audio Units not being found, and then it says (on the right-hand side of screen) that about 1000 or so things couldn't be loaded. Same thing happens when I load the finished set which is already arranged.

Do I need the Essential Instrument Collection to run this tutorial set? Or do I need to install the other stuff on the magazine's CD first? Any ideas appreciated.

cheers,
Ian

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:04 am

If 1000 things are missing, must be an EIC patch

mcintosh_i

Post by mcintosh_i » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:53 am

Yeah, but surely other people have run into this problem haven't they? I don't remember reading that the EIC was a requirement in the magazine, and I would have thought they would have included a self-contained tutorial set for the purposes of following along. Anyway, if the EIC is needed then ok, I accept that, but it just seems a bit strange and I think maybe I've just set something up wrong, because otherwise there would be lots of other similar messages from people who don't own the EIC...

I dunno, it just would be cool to see the final product, having read thru the tutorial.

Mag_Music

Post by Mag_Music » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:40 pm

mcintosh_i wrote:Yeah, but surely other people have run into this problem haven't they? I don't remember reading that the EIC was a requirement in the magazine, and I would have thought they would have included a self-contained tutorial set for the purposes of following along. Anyway, if the EIC is needed then ok, I accept that, but it just seems a bit strange and I think maybe I've just set something up wrong, because otherwise there would be lots of other similar messages from people who don't own the EIC...

I dunno, it just would be cool to see the final product, having read thru the tutorial.
Check this thread for details on the problem:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55586
What it is (for Now): (2) Lenovo Dual Core desktops, Edirol PCR-800, Sonar 8.5 PE, Live 8 w/Operator and Sampler, the unloved PT 8, Kontakt 4, Battery 3, GPO 4, mulititudinous plugs and libraries, much unused hardware. And... silence; much silence.

Teedub

Missed out on the Computer Music Issue

Post by Teedub » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:44 pm

No one in my area carries CM as far as I can tell (or maybe they were grabbed off the shelves before I could get there) and the link to purchase the Live issue online didn't make sense to me at all. Is there any way to get my hands on this info now? i.e. are the articles up on the WWW and/or are the goodies on the CD downloadable anywhere?