Live 4 Question and Answer Thread---We ask...Ableton Answers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Frank Hoffmann

Post by Frank Hoffmann » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:38 am

Anonymous wrote:can i write clip automation with knob twiddles now?!

waves plug in support?

VSTi mulit-outputs like Battery, etc?
Hallo,

Please contact Waves about VST issues in Live. On Mac OS X Audio Unit Waves plug-ins work much better.

Live 4 supports multi-outputs and side chain inputs for VST and Audio Unit instruments and effects.

Frank
Frank Hoffmann
hoffmann@ableton.com

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:49 am

Has 'Right Click' been avtivated for menu's?

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:14 am

"Customized and random sequencing of audio and MIDI files for generating ideas and preparing performances Actions can be set up to allow for automatic jamming and generative music "

Random sequencing of audio and MIDI sounds exciting, but how exactly does it work?

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:22 am

Now I found something on the Live 4 Session screenshot. In the clip view it says "follow action" with some parameters. Has this got to do with the "random sequencing". Still cant figure out what it does though.

/jah

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:27 am

i imagine random sequencing is one of the more self explanatory features
like in fruity loops or any number of rex players, universaly this feature generally means that your sequence or sequences is remixed on the fly and with infinite or at least quite a few variations, if you hear something you like you save it.

ms

live4 able to use various audio interfaces at the same time?

Post by ms » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:45 am

will live4 be able to use different audio interfaces at the same time?

4 is the magic number !!!

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:54 am

yes... clarification on...

"Supports previewing and cuing via separate audio outs"

does this mean i can use the headphone out from the computer as a preview, and main mix from soundcard?

Post by 93 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:18 am

1. what sort of improvement (with optimization) are we looking at performance wise on OSX?

2. are we able to loop without warping?

cheers.

audiosapien

Velocity Tool in the Midi Editor

Post by audiosapien » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am

Will the Midi editor have a velocity tool with live midi note preview?

The inclusion of this feature alone would finally allow me to consider Live! as a replacement for Logic PC. Without it midi-editing becomes very tedious.

Even better would be the inclusion of a midi-channel tool with live preview!

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:46 am

i love the way we can do some sequencing stuff in audiomulch just messing around whit envelops, that paraments modulation thing, can we do this in this Live 4, change envelops, do some good things whit it while we are playing a loop or something whitout having it yet render to a track or clip, ?

R3zOn8

Post by R3zOn8 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:54 am

any difference in timestretching algorythms in live 4?

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:59 am

Hi folks,
sorry for our long absence on this forum, now you know why...

The "follow actions" are part of the session clips and work like this:

A clip is fired. After a specified beat time one of two "follow actions" happen. Which of these options is choosen is defined by a change.
Say we choose 1:0. This means after the follow time allways action A will hapen. There are seven actions: Play again, Play next, Play previous, stop, play and in group, do nothing. "do nothing" is default and this means after the follow time nothing happens, just as it is now. All actions
refer to a "group" which is a number of clips within one track with no empy slot in between. What can you do with this: loop onshots, create clips which will play for a while and end in a shorter loop. create wierd breaks... etc...

Do not expect us to write too much the next days, we are still heavily working on the software. But i try to read the forum and post answers...

Robert

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:35 am

yes - looks promising...

mac-questions:

1. afaik - live 3 doesn't benefit fom mp-machines (rewired wih reason). any changes?

2. does live 4 support multi-output software instruments? au or vsti? with rewire it should be possible.

3. is there a something like an (midi)-drumeditor. what i mean: is it possible to name different note-numbers in the editor - like c1 = bassdrum, d1 = snare... in the preview i saw that the names of the samples loaded in impulseinstrument in the editor...

thx in advance

greets from berlin

anthony

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:39 am

1. afaik - live 3 doesn't benefit fom mp-machines (rewired wih reason). any changes?

yes and no. all audio runs on one CPU but all user interface on the other one. this means with 80% CPU load you still have a fluid interface.

2. does live 4 support multi-output software instruments? au or vsti? with rewire it should be possible.

yes. both.

3. is there a something like an (midi)-drumeditor. what i mean: is it possible to name different note-numbers in the editor - like c1 = bassdrum, d1 = snare... in the preview i saw that the names of the samples loaded in impulseinstrument in the editor...

if using Impulse the names of the files will be displayed in the note edtior.

There is another interesting feature: you can fold away all keys in the note editor which do not contain notes. if you have five instruments spread over two octaves but only use these five keys you will see only the five keys. makes drum ediitng a lot easier.

Robert

thx in advance

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:48 am

Robert Henke wrote: Do not expect us to write too much the next days, we are still heavily working on the software. But i try to read the forum and post answers...

Robert
DONT! Just Completely ignore the forum - just get us that beta!

Robert - the sun is well and truly shing, even in the UK! Thanks loads!
I thought maybe vsti, midi, one or two nice little additions, but no, you had to go and move the goal posts and change the face of modern music again!!

I'm sure your competitors are crapping themselves!

Hurry up please I'm running out of fingernails