performing live - are you working just in session view?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ozias Leduc

performing live - are you working just in session view?

Post by Ozias Leduc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:04 am

i'm sure this has already been asked at some point, but i've been searching the forum for ages and haven't found anything!

so i want to know; when you use live to perform live, are you just using the session view? or do you also incorporate the arrangement view aswell?

i'm thinking of maybe organizing a basic skeleton of a song in the arrangement view, and then using the session view also to do stuff "over the top" of it; but then it doesnt seem very versatile - what if i want to extend part of the song or mix it up a bit?

hrmmm

any pointers??

edit -if it helps i'm using this for a techno liveset

thanks heaps :)

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:30 am

I'm using Live with a live rhythm section and a vocalist. What I do is create the basic arrangement in Session view using follow actions, and label the scenes according to the song's timeline (the first scene is named with the track's bpm count), then add my other clips, assigned to keys on the keyboard. While the arrangements are set to a certain degee, I can jump to set points in the arrangement, like repeat the chorus and simultaneously drop out some parts, apply effects and the like, and the band can react to the crowd if a tack is going down really well. We can jam.

Ozias Leduc

Post by Ozias Leduc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:01 am

oh cool, follow actions are something i probably need to look a bit deeper into, never really gave them my time

any other cool ideas/resources/thread links for this kinda shit?

trying to search "live" isnt really much of a help :P

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:23 am

I personnaly think that using an arrangement sucks a lot:that's not live...
I don't see any interest in playing songs always the same length and the same way. I sequence my songs in live with session view, and loop my audio and midi instruments in real time. Let the space bar-performances for DJ's.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:30 pm

chapelier fou et al; You can midi control the jumps to locators in arrangement view, it can be quite non-linear if you want to. I guess the process is described in the manual? :P
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:38 pm

I've only gigged in Session view, but I've sometimes thought about gigging in Arrangement view - starting with a blank Arrangement and bringing things in from the Browser on the fly, as I do in Session view. Particularly when doing something approaching a DJ set, I've felt that this might be an easier way to trim intros, see when (multiple) tracks are going to end (or get quiet), etc.
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:04 pm

I only use Session View live.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

MONKHOUSE

Post by MONKHOUSE » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:28 pm

Session view seems the only real way to use live 'live' or it's just kind of boring....

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:51 pm

Arrange works fine on pieces with longer builds or changes in automatization on clips. You still can jump around in the timeline or loop parts of it on the fly without having to care about individual clips (of different loop lengths) going out of sync to each other. I just used it twice live, with arranged pieces that would have been a pain to rearrange as a bunch of scenes in session view.