If you could have only 10 new features in Live 7...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:21 am

b0unce wrote:doh!
my bad
I've been tokin and typin - kind of the internet equivilant of drinkin' & drivin'

:oops:
lololol

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:23 am

b0unce wrote:doh!
my bad
I've been tokin and typin - kind of the internet equivilant of drinkin' & drivin'

:oops:
no worries - I'm blissed out as well: Been setting up my new pc for Jitter :D All dem flying trianglers....!
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Nod

Post by Nod » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:26 am

Again in no particular order:

1. Offline Timestretch - a very high quality, non-realtime, 5th algo designed for audio results rather than live faffing. Think of it a bit like the new Deep Freeze in Live 6 applied to an uber-Complex warp multiplied by 10.

2. Arrangement View - ridiculously slow when used for full scale production duties (ie: something other than minimalist wank). I do not enjoy major clients pointing out what a brilliant creative tool it is before shortly after asking why, when we've got to 20 tracks, we have both seen faster graphic rendering on a 16K Spectrum.

3. Increased MIDI & quantisation functionality including multiple time signatures

4. CPU usage - some option as regards Live's realtime standard vs a 'buffered in advance' approach would give benefits across all, especially older, machines.

5. Bezier curves/mulitple visible automation lanes

6. Recording of automation/CC's directly into session. Live 4 anyone?

7. User configurable, and saveable, auto-mapping system from ANY piece of hardware to any device/VSTi - not workarounds or whatever profiles happen to be currently manufactured.

8. Configurable modular screens - fullscreen edit/mixer (without clips) on primary or secondary monitors when required along with mousewheel, not click drag, zoom.

9. Crossfades on clips of the same track in Arrangement, with right click providing a variety of options (S, linear, abrubt etc)

10. "Folder tracks" for the mixer - along with proper subgroup solos and gangable faders.

Basically improve what is already there & streamline the app as fast as is possible. Do not include niche features ie: OSC, warping video/video rendering, inbuilt Sascha emulation or any form of device or functionality that takes yet another software revision, or two, to properly implement and takes time away from the basics - audio production. Getting it right the first time can only increase Abelton & Live's already brilliant reputation.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:43 am

b0unce wrote:belzier curves - for drawing automation

an integrated lfo module/device - I have a feeling they'd charge extra for that
I think thats all of mine.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:15 am

1. Better MIDI editing capabilities. For example a fixed note, and fixed velocity commands come to mind. I don't want to have to select all notes and drag them to 0 and then to the desired value. It takes too long imho. Also a transpose function would be more useful than the pitch plugin at times.

2. Offline processing. I like the fact that I can record everything in real-time in Ableton, however sometimes I do wish to use offline processing, selecting something and hard processing it in non-realtime. So I think this would be a nice feature as well.

3. Better implentation of automation for multi output VSTi's. The problem is that right now the only place to find the automation parameters is on the actual track where the VSTi is located at. If I use a product like Sampletank, Virus TI, Stylus RMX for example that offer multi timbral channels, and use more than one track automation gets really messy. As mentioned before, because of the fact that the only track that shows the parameters is the actual track that contains the VSTi.

4. Being able to rename the inputs and outputs in Live. It would make things a lot easier than trying to remember if my MPC for example is hooked up to input 7 & 8, or 9 &10.

5. Folder tracks to keep everything clean in the arrangment window.

6. Timestretching or warp mode for Sampler.

7. Automation parameters beyond 128 limitation.

8. Rename audio file by renaming clip.

9. Groove quantize. Being able to import groove quantizations.

10. Editable Crossfades.

Ken
Last edited by kenporter on Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamester

Post by jamester » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:27 am

I agree with Nod's post above, personally. For me the biggies are:

1) Better CPU useage, fix slow-down of Arrange view

2) Folder Tracks!!!

3) Improve Impulse by doubling to sixteen pads, adding a graphical wav edit view, making pads midi note re-assignable, and fixing the sound changing problem.

4) Proper time display, just because.

5) Improved Project Management system/tools. It could be a lot simpler.

6) Bring back the Edit button!

7) Seperate Session/Arrange views for dual-monitors.

8 ) Slicer/REX file support!

9) True Side-Chaining

I'll leave the last one blank cuz I'm sure I'm forgetting something...
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

Nod

Post by Nod » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:04 am

jamester wrote:
3) Improve Impulse by doubling to sixteen pads, adding a graphical wav edit view, making pads midi note re-assignable, and fixing the sound changing problem.

9) True Side-Chaining
And I'd agree with both of those Jamester so thanks for including them. In addition how about an updated compressor/limiter to go with EQ8?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:48 am

I'm betting there will be a change to beatrepeat, or beatrepeat2 will come out.
eq16 any? not that we actually want it, but I bet it's coming.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:00 am

TIME SIGNATURE AUTOMATION

blank

Post by blank » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:22 am

10 integrated notepads

damn...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:35 am

1. Key Commands for composing! Things like "expand MIDI piano roll to full screen", show/hide all automation in tracks, straight ripping Logic's magnifying glass tool, that expands the Arrange page both vertically AND horizontally! wherever you use the tool! This is huge IMO the main thing I miss from Logic, and Live seems very backwards intuitive workflow wise here, and it always boggles me how people have accepted the mediocre zoom function in Live for so long??

2. MIDI from Instruments to other MIDI or MIDI instrument tracks!

3. Two screen support, or at least a third screen for the MIDI piano roll. (with some way of selecting the track you want to show MIDI from)

4. Ability to have colored Track labels, (moog track is red etc.) like every other DAW out there? this is another WTF?

5. better MIDI editing tools, an event list, or way of setting all values to the same etc.

6. Better reading of tempos from Logic or other DAWs, though I notice because with Logic tracks, you can have it be 120bpm, import it to Live with Live's bpm set to 120, and Live will still read 119.81 etc.

7. MIDI editable in the Arrange tracks like in Digital Perrformer, zoom in and edit MIDI right in the tracks, this is the best IMO.

8. Selectable show /hide tracks like Digital Performer. Best mixing take of any DAW IMO.

9. Automation parameters beyond 128!

10. Multiple automation lines visible on a track if desired.

If all that was implemented, it wouldn't really hurt anybodies workflow who didn't want it, but it would kill all DAWs on almost every level then! 8O

mechcon

Post by mechcon » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:27 am

I've only one... a bad-ass distortion utility that outdoes the Scream4 in Reason :)

I seriously need to learn on making noises (ala Merzbow noises) in Live. I sense it'd be bloody powerful.
iMac 2.16GHz, MacBookPro 2.4GHz, OS10.5.4, Logic Studio, Live6.0.10, Reason4, Presonus Firebox, EvoMK429c, BehringerUMX25, Korg PadKontrol, NovationRemoteSL0.

http://www.mechanisedconvulsions.com

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:00 am

In no particular order:

1. First (recorded/played) loop sets tempo - this would enable loopers paradise.

2. A pause-button for clips - for all people using spoken word and soundscapes

3. Improved built in search and project management tools

4. slicer-device

5. lfo-device

6. record automation in session view

7. faster editing in arrangement

8. dragging audio-clips from impulse cells to session slots/other impulse cells

9. using mp3/flac/ogg without having to convert first

10. an autoarrange-device, using fractal engines to create complex rhythmical and harmonical patterns with your clips.

glu

Post by glu » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:29 am

customizable macros/ single key stroke shortcuts

improve impulse (fix bug, expand sample limit)

improve FX (filters, beatrepeat, delays, introduce a few new ones)

improve warp modes (fewer artifacts, friendlier on CPU)

cc recording in session

slicer (part of a new sample editor tool with offline processing/offline warping) slicer automatically creates impulse kit

modular/detachable windows with multi-monitor support (session/arranger)

Bezier curves/mulitple visible automation lanes

track folders, true track grouping with solo/mute

trustworthy file organizing system + archiving
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:37 am

kenporter wrote: 9. Groove quantize. Being able to import groove quantizations.

10. Editable Crossfades.

Ken
absolutely