Sampler Improvements

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
kineticUk

Sampler Improvements

Post by kineticUk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:40 am

Some of my thoughts on improving this nice instrument. Just a few ideas.

Rex Support
Make it Multi-Timbral (Midi 1-16) and using a small drop down to select the current channel to edit, etc. Like phatmatik, Halion, Kontakt2. Each channel has access to the filters, envelopes, FM/AM Osc for individual editing. One Sampler loaded into my set can then operate like a ... real sampler? Seriously though I'd rather have one of these than use a Rack to be honest. Would be nice to fill one up and use them like the hardware.
Pitch detection cause it was mentioned when I got Sampler, must have missed that. That would be handy, as I could use this with some of my sounds which are a bit mad when setting keyzones.
Audio Input with waveform display working in realtime like inspector. Filters, FM, Envelope can then be used as an FX.
Last edited by kineticUk on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:59 am

Yes i will have all of them please thank you.
Drums

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:24 pm

More:

I am a big fan of Sampler (Simpler, Operator, etc), I like the interface and wouldn't want to change anything. I'd just add a small 2 digit drop-down menu with numbers 1-16 on the sample page to allow switching between the channels for editing. Allow Midi received from ch1 to trigger ch1, midi from ch2 to trigger ch2 (Like hardware multi-timbral samplers).
I don't honestly think this change would hurt anyone at all, sure it goes against the ableton "load another one" philosophy (which tbh I have no problem with) but the benefits of form and function are worth it. If you don't wanna get into the whole "other channels" thing, then you can ignore the tiny little drop-down box in the sample page. Obviously if only one channels used then the cpu usage will be no higher than Sampler right now.
Racks keep evolving and these small changes/improvements to Sampler, I'd be doing real nice.

It would also be good to allow audio into the Sampler engine in realtime mode, through fx mod etc

And finally: Did I imagine the pitch detectection bit on the original online Sampler feature list ? (hmm..)

Hope this all gets added to Sampler in the next version of Live (8?)

I know I can dream .. thanks ableton.

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:14 pm

kineticUk wrote:More:

I am a big fan of Sampler (Simpler, Operator, etc), I like the interface and wouldn't want to change anything. I'd just add a small 2 digit drop-down menu with numbers 1-16 on the sample page to allow switching between the channels for editing. Allow Midi received from ch1 to trigger ch1, midi from ch2 to trigger ch2 (Like hardware multi-timbral samplers).
I don't honestly think this change would hurt anyone at all, sure it goes against the ableton "load another one" philosophy (which tbh I have no problem with) but the benefits of form and function are worth it. If you don't wanna get into the whole "other channels" thing, then you can ignore the tiny little drop-down box in the sample page. Obviously if only one channels used then the cpu usage will be no higher than Sampler right now.
Racks keep evolving and these small changes/improvements to Sampler, I'd be doing real nice.

It would also be good to allow audio into the Sampler engine in realtime mode, through fx mod etc

And finally: Did I imagine the pitch detectection bit on the original online Sampler feature list ? (hmm..)

Hope this all gets added to Sampler in the next version of Live (8?)

I know I can dream .. thanks ableton.
I like these suggestions! Since Autofilter doesn't have morphing filter types like Sampler, it would be nice to just use Sampler as an FX unit. I like the multi-channel thing too. I think it would allow me to polyphonically retune Sampler (with other software) easier (Currently I need to have Sampler in monophonic mode with multiple instances in separate tracks).

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:49 pm

Lazos wrote:I like these suggestions! Since Autofilter doesn't have morphing filter types like Sampler, it would be nice to just use Sampler as an FX unit.
Thanks. Yeah it would be nice to have access to the FM/AM Osc too.
I was originally thinking that the display could have worked like the spectrum plugin too when in this mode (Now there is the spectrum plugin so it doesn't matter but it would have looked the bizness)
Lazos wrote:I like the multi-channel thing too. I think it would allow me to polyphonically retune Sampler (with other software) easier (Currently I need to have Sampler in monophonic mode with multiple instances in separate tracks).
This feature would make a big difference to me too. Multi channel functionality within a single Sampler.
Processing drum sounds or working within the sampler (Using Sampler like my hardware) I wanna be able to route different sounds through different settings, with multi channels/outputs and the key editor for setup, sorted (Loads of options nicely contained within a single interface)..I'd be working more inside the sampler instead of inside a set (or now drum rack). I'd like to be able to get into this instrument more (without racks of sim/sam/things) and hope ableton continue with their improvements.
I think Sampler should be multi midi channels/multi audio outs within a single interface.
Couple of improvements that would be appreciated so much.

patchdub

Post by patchdub » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:41 am

i would like to be able to create different rates of fade on either end of a looped sample instead of the fades always mirroring each other.
infrasonic communication
http://www.patchdub.com/

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:17 pm

Forgot to add another one:
Midi CC control of Sample Start, Loop Start and Loop End.
Sure that quite a lot of us Sampler users requested this one but it looks as though we are gonna be waiting until Live 8. What a shame ableton do not update their instruments seperately to the program.
I don't like the current situation much ie a tiny update once a year if we are lucky.

(Having to wait another year for stuff like this is pretty sad imo, these are seperate instruments/products that we have paid extra for as well as buying Live. They should be updated too (Properly) or have their own updates. It seems as though ableton concentrate resources on Live and their/our other products get the leftovers/scraps.)

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:48 pm

kineticUk wrote:(Having to wait another year for stuff like this is pretty sad imo, these are seperate instruments/products that we have paid extra for as well as buying Live. They should be updated too (Properly) or have their own updates. It seems as though ableton concentrate resources on Live and their/our other products get the leftovers/scraps.)
Saaad

Last edited by Cryptic UK on Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drums

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:52 pm

:lol: