What is the best "sound" you've ever heard?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dave_house

Post by dave_house » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Although the whole tune numbs me every time, there's one particular noise in Boards of Canada's Telephasic Workshop that makes me shiver. Not sure why really, it's just one of those sublimely perfect bits of production. I won't be able to reproduce it textually in any accurate sense, but nevertheless I'll try: Amidst all the cut up vocal snippets, its the one that sounds like a woman going "a-a-A-oh-a", and it happens merely twice.

Similarly, the snare in Underworlds' Pearls Girl, used sparingly and to preempt and emphasise the the end of the bar. I love offset jazzy snares.

Gecko's make a cool noise, too :D

telekom

Post by telekom » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:56 pm

A sort of stretchy noise made really loud by Schneider TM live at King Tuts in Glasgow - it made me laugh uncontrollably.

The weird hard to define sounds on Systemisch by Oval.

The last note of Goldberg Variations by JS Bach played by Glenn Gould (1982 version).

Blackbird singing +1

Woman's orgasm +1

Wine glugging out of a bottle.

A waterfall.

I once climbed The Five Sisters of Kintail (it's a mountain ridge you filthy monkeys). It was a perfect sunny day and I could see for about 40 miles. I could not feel even a breath of wind. But I could hear a funny papery sound, tiny and very delicate. I saw three butterflies fluttering around each other. It took me a while to realise, and another while to believe, that what I could hear was the sound of their wings. At 3000 feet above sea level in the Scottish highlands.

Yay. Cool thread. :)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

Cyberdude

Rush 2112

Post by Cyberdude » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:07 pm

Favorite sound? The overture of 2112 in it's entirety.

FYI, latest RUSH CD Snakes and Arrows to be released May 1 with a summer tour schedule soon to be announced.

Kenny D

Post by Kenny D » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:10 pm

I would have to say, in any slow tune, country or not, that has a pedal steel flowing over the top. The sound of angels I tell ya!

-Kenny D
http://www.BeatHive.com - A marketplace for musicians to buy and sell loops.

hambone1

Re: Rush 2112

Post by hambone1 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:23 pm

Cyberdude wrote:Favorite sound? The overture of 2112 in it's entirety.

FYI, latest RUSH CD Snakes and Arrows to be released May 1 with a summer tour schedule soon to be announced.
One of the stupidest things I've ever done... bought Rush 30th Anniversary concert tickets for London in 2005, and forgot to go... :oops:

I won't make the same mistake again (assuming there's a European tour).

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:40 pm

Tomita's "The Planets"

Probably my earliest recollection of hearing 'electronic' music.. It mezmerized me.

Pieter Nooten's "Sleeps with the Fishes"... has an incredible feel to it. i remember the first time I heard that as well.

Almost anything by the Shins.. Magical sound from another time/world.
MacPro / MacBookPro / Live 8
My art and music

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:35 pm

D K wrote:loveless by mbv right before passing out at the end of a 3 day lsd binge.
heavenly.
Nice doug!
I'm stealing yours...

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:14 pm

1. Rueben Gonzalez's piano on the Introducing... album.
2. Ben Webster's breathy sax.
3. That slow bit in Panama when Eddie hits that perfect tone. Albatross / Peter Green ditto.
4. My dog barking in his sleep.
5. Born Slippy.
6. The bird outside my house which sings a different melody every five seconds in the spring. Honestly, I've listened for over and hour and the song changes every ten second and never repeats. I should record it and post online.
7. Virus Ti. When it is working properly.
8. A cello.
9. Nimrod from Elgar's Enigma Variations.
10. Anyone with a really infectious laugh.
11. Anything in French.
12. I once stood right beside a Jaguar in Singapore zoo (on the other side of the bars) and it let out the most blood curdling roar I have ever heard. Primeval chills ran down my spine. Awe inspiring.
I invented coffee

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:55 pm

substance_g wrote: - Johnny Marr's guitar
+1
..... . . . . . . . . .

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:57 pm

Ligeti. Cluster composition gives me MAD goosebumps in a good way. Even thinking about it!

Oh, and Peaches En Regalia by Frank Zappa - once the baritone sax harmony kicks in and that groovy drumbeat is going I'm sold. Totally laid back, yet perfect.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:59 pm

-the horn part just before Oreste's entrance in Richard Strauss's Elektra

my heart melted and spewed out my ears the first time i heard that.

-on that note, the string writing in Wagner's overture to Die Fliegende Holländer. sounds just like wind and waves crashing against the hull of a giant ship.
..... . . . . . . . . .

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:06 pm

The synth/pad line from Radiohead's "Idioteque", which was sampled from a 1970's experimental piece called "Mild und Leise", by Paul Lansky, forming the four chord progression repeated throughout the song. That sound was created using punch card computers and days or weeks of processing just to get a few seconds of synthesized sound. Awesome.

Also, any synth sound made by boards of canada

Contrabass.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:15 pm

kramerica wrote:The synth/pad line from Radiohead's "Idioteque", which was sampled from a 1970's experimental piece called "Mild und Leise", by Paul Lansky
That entire piece is brilliant by the way.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:28 pm

i'm a big fan of the wierd morphy bass sound in tipper's outsideinsideout.

i just can't get enough of that shit.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:46 pm

1. telekom - Systemisch by Oval, mmm especially the first track, and most of the others. i was listening to it today on the bus on the way home from work, its a great soundtrack for slow moving traffic going through a city

2. seaside sounds..... seagulls, waves, amusement arcades, kids playing, the wind, the sound of people on holiday, stuff like that

3. when you have a pan with a bit of water in and you tap the side of the pan and move the water from side to side.

4. some really fast songs by melt banana

5. a needle when it gets stuck in a really scratchy record and keeps going on and on and on

6. really fizzy mineral water close up to your ear

7. the shipping forecast about 5am

8. catpurrs

9. church bells in little towns striking the hour