Funky Basslines

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
rafaelaccorsi

Funky Basslines

Post by rafaelaccorsi » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Hi folks,

I'm trying to figure out how people like Troydon, Jason Hodges, Brian Jones, Joey Youngman make their funky "sine sub basslines" i'm tryng to use operator, and other vts such massive and minimoog V friom Arturia. But my basslines doesnt sound like the guys, maybe have some trick, some effect... im cracking my head here... maybe someone could put some cool preset of operator for example, just to start... and later some useful tip on EQ and Compression, to get the right sound...

Hope somebody help!!

Thx in advance

Rafael
Brasil

gezabelle

Post by gezabelle » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:13 pm

im not familiar with the sound yoour trying to create, but i just found out about the covert operators presets for operator, theres something crazy like over 500ish available for free. Heres the link: http://www.thecovertoperators.org/archives/27

Callen

Post by Callen » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:01 pm

As much as this is not the answer you are looking for, the key to great bass lines, as well as lead lines, is in the playing. Anybody can take the same guitar and amp combo, recorded with the same mics and outboard gear, but they will not sound like...(insert amazing bass player here). The same is true for synth and bass parts, or just about any other instrument. Funky, or any other adjective describing the feel, is usually describing the playing style not the sound itself. This is not to say the sound does not play a sinificant role, it does, but a well played bass line can sound just as funky played on a vintage strat, Moog, or cheap casio toy synth. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to pick up a book on playing bass. Even if you do not plan to actually play the lines in, just about all of the information will apply to programed lines. I hope this helps.

Callen

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:40 pm

When sequencing, vary the length of some of the notes, and add a few really short notes in certain spots. It helps contribute to the rhythm of the bassline, which is where most bass players sit.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:06 pm

A trick that Paddy from Pitch Black offered that I thought was really good was to take your midi clip and make a copy on a seperate midi track. Then make that feed the midi to the bassline track. Offset the notes by a bit (use your ears) and then play them both at the same time. It created some great movement and slurs.

Thanks again Paddy!
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram