any good file management app?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
peeddrroo

any good file management app?

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:06 am

i'm looking for an app that could be able to check if i have file duplicates on my hard drive, and also that can sync 2 drives to make backups.

for the sync part, i already have www.allwaysync.com, and it's pretty good.

any tip for duplicates removal, or for an all in one solution?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:53 pm

By old employer was using a program called Beyond Compare, which seemed pretty cool

_alexander_

Post by _alexander_ » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:06 pm

chris_dan

Post by chris_dan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:02 pm

As far as your duplicate files are concerned I use a program called EasyCleaner by ToniArts http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm. It won't address your sync issue but as far as duplicates are concerned it will do part of the job. By that I mean that if you run it against file system you'll find thousands of duplicates that the system creates...the prefetch file, the 386 file and on and on. The program provides the data in a simple interface. It's then up to you to manually delete the duplicates if you dare! If you path it strictly to your music directories the task should be much less ominous provided you have some type of hierarchy in place for file creation. I run the registry checker as part of my daily startup maintenance. Installing/uninstalling any type of trialware program will cause erroneous entries in the registry 9 times out of 10. If it goes unchecked you will end up with thousands of erroneous entries in your registry file. The erroneous entries for the most part won't create a problem aside from the fact that the system has to read them which will slow down your system as far as number crunching is concerned. The worst case is that it could bring your system down. The tool also has other modules such as the Remove/Add programs, a startup sequence editor which I use as opposed to the MS tools. Easycleaner is free but as I use it daily I have donated to the author.

Check it out........
Chris