Songbird and iTunes - the quest for decent file management

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
KU

Songbird and iTunes - the quest for decent file management

Post by KU » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:42 am

I need a music organizing/browsing program with pro features and more flexibility than iTunes.

I just cracked 150 gigs of music on my studio PC and keeping track of it is getting difficult. I have developed a fondness for iTunes and how it physically reorganizes the music and functions as a decent ID3 tag editor. The album cover browse is super sexy too...

However... a good deal of my own collection is in FLAC format, and all my Vinyl rips are 24bit/44.1k WAV files. iTunes won't play nice with that stuff.

I stumbled on a program called Songbird which is like mashing up an iTunes clone with Firefox browser (it actually uses firefox browser engine). It is pretty freakin sweet! I don't know if it is rigt for my internet virgin studio machine since it is extremely webcentric.

I wish I could find an iTunes clone which would physically reorganize my library like iTunes, but did the other stuff too. do you know one?

tylast

Post by tylast » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:51 am

You need to get with MediaMonkey (if you're on a PC that is). MM3 is in Alpha testing. Browse by artwork in there.

j0shu@

Post by j0shu@ » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:02 am

+1 on mediamonkey
it lets you keep id3 tags (at least for the apps database) for wavs and whatnot

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:30 pm

I've got some really high hopes for songbird. should be the perfect crossplatform solution for me - switching back and forth on bootcamp every few hours. Check out the website for planned features - its gonna lovely next year if all gos to plan.

KU

Post by KU » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:35 am

this is an older thread... so i've had to play around a bit

I have become far less fond of iTunes. I even switched to OS on my 30g iPod video to Rockbox and can listen to my FLAC business on the go.

I adore MediaMonkey, but am getting tired of waiting for MM3

Songbird isn't on my radar anymore, but it would be if I was listening to more webcontent and such.

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:32 am

I like the concept of songbird, but it is just way too slow and buggy at the moment to be used seriously...

I wish foobar2000 had iPod management. I just bought a new nano. :\

cygn

Post by cygn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:48 pm

kaffein wrote:I like the concept of songbird, but it is just way too slow and buggy at the moment to be used seriously...

I wish foobar2000 had iPod management. I just bought a new nano. :\
there's an ipod plugin for foobar2000.