Thoughts on Mash Ups

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Mash-ups? Creativity or Novelty?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:21 am

Creativity
13%
Novelty
16%
A little bit of both
52%
Who cares
19%

Total votes: 31

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:01 am

I agree with Tarekith. Pointless to sit at home spending time mashing up 2 songs, then parading them around. But to do live at a party, it's fun, why the hell not. It can still be creative and show ones skills, but make your records with your own music.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

dan aktivix

What he say?

Post by dan aktivix » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:03 am

[quote=""]I went to a Seattle ableton users group and it was about mash-ups

I sat there and was like is this real, are you serious[/quote]

Why, what did he say?

dan aktivix

Re: What he say?

Post by dan aktivix » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:05 am

*I sat there and was like is this real, are you serious*

Why, what did he say?

spiral

Post by spiral » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:18 am

the grey album and Ceasar Presents : Jay-Z & The Notorious B.I.G. - Brooklyns Finest are both great mashup/mix ups whatever..i like em..

HugeBear

Post by HugeBear » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:34 pm

girl talk's night ripper is a pretty bad ass piece of mashup work

i dont see how mash ups cheapen what they sample, mash ups themselves are cheapened peices of work, not on the same level as original work, sortof ADD DJing, and except for tremendous exceptions like the grey album, they come and go without leaving much impact beyond their novelty

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:37 pm

I never could find the grey album, any tips? I'm also not much of an mp3 scavenger at that.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I never could find the grey album, any tips? I'm also not much of an mp3 scavenger at that.
try Soulseek

Bombastic

Post by Bombastic » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:53 pm

ive heard the term "mash ups", perhaps there some confusion going here, as I dont think the grey album is a mash up, in fact, I loved the IDEA of it even before I heard it, in fact when I heard it I was kind of disappointed. Whatever its called, to sample any part of someone else´s song is OK in my opinion as long as it helps expand the creative process. People shouldnt stop experimenting and trying different things, thats how we genuinely create. The person before who said that they used the "traditional" means of writing pop songs seems like hes saying that this should be the only way to make music., however I disagree, there should be no limits to how music is made. If you can make a whole album sound good it doesnt matter the means to acheive that effect. There are some bands out there that use 2 or 3 instruments and sound great, whilst others compose entirely on computers and sound great. A mash up is a mix of sampling and composition, and whilst it doesnt always sound great - many times, it sounds fabulous. For example, the Beatles LOVE is a mash up of itself and its wonderful. I also love "Another brick in the wall" with the added bassline and beat its been virtually transformed with little (but effective) change. Anyway, what Im trying to say is Mash up is another of the musicians tool, and we should stop anyone from using it by trying to dismiss it, we should encourage its use and always seek to find innovating ways to be creative.
PEACE+HAPPINESS

djadonis206

Re: What he say?

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:09 pm

dan aktivix wrote:*I sat there and was like is this real, are you serious*

Why, what did he say?
basically he talked about everything but ableton (serato) and himself in the 3rd person

"...when kernel panik does this." <-- that's his dj name

blah blah blah

oh and he's on some message board that figured out how to mash up Jimi Hendrix and TI

whoop ti doo!

I was disappointed - I called a friend afterwards, we laughed and like I said, never went back...
Ableton | Elektron

Music

motormouth

Post by motormouth » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:39 pm

this dude here who calls himself girltalk does some pretty cool mashups, his live sets are very entertaining....

you should definitely give him a listen, really fun stuff, pure party music.

http://myspace.com/girltalkmusic

womoma

Post by womoma » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:07 am

WOW GIRLTALK IS KOOL THANKS FOR OPENING MY MIND I WAS HAVING TROUBLE FINDING NEW MUSIC

womoma

Post by womoma » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:08 am

:lol: