remote zero - not able to control live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spherop

remote zero - not able to control live

Post by spherop » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:12 pm

sorry if this should be simple ...
i just went through install of remote zero / live 6.

setup in prefs - remote zero port 1 for remote control.

the remote zero display shows the tracks/levels etc of live - but does not seem to do anything to control it ...eg., fader moves have no effect on live... so i am sure it's some simple thing...but have been pouring over manual and not finding an answer.

lis102trants

Post by lis102trants » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:29 pm

Im not too sure how automapping works, but I just map everything manually. Press (apple)+m (i think its control for pc) and all mapable parameters will turn blue. Click on a parameter and then move a fader or turn a knob to assign that control to the parameter. Press (apple)+m again and you're ready to play. I hope this helps

spherop

Post by spherop » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:39 pm

thanks ..i can certainly use it that way ...but was hoping that automapping would have some advantages ...and i just thought to check out it out first.

one question for you though - are you able to "bank" through your tracks so that the faders can control more than just the first 8 tracks ...using midi control/learn?

Zerobae

Re: remote zero - not able to control live

Post by Zerobae » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:39 pm

spherop wrote:sorry if this should be simple ...
i just went through install of remote zero / live 6.

setup in prefs - remote zero port 1 for remote control.

the remote zero display shows the tracks/levels etc of live - but does not seem to do anything to control it ...eg., fader moves have no effect on live... so i am sure it's some simple thing...but have been pouring over manual and not finding an answer.
i assume you have installed the new software v3 from novationmusic.com.
after that, you'd have to select remote sl in the midi/sync preferences, not only in the first column, but also on input and output. select ports 2 (not 1)—i don't remember why, but i've read that somewhere in the sl manual. everything should work fine now with template 40.

spherop

Post by spherop » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:46 pm

zerobae - thanks ..i do have the latest install. i will try your suggestions right now and report back.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:47 pm

The control messages are transmitted on Port 2:

Control Surface - RemoteSL
Input - Remote SL: Port 2
Output - Remote SL: Port 2

MIDI Ports:
Input: Remote SL: Port 1, Track [ON], Remote [ON]
Input: Remote SL: Port 2, Track [ON], Remote [ON]

You don't need anything else.
..?

spherop

Post by spherop » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:49 pm

righteous ..i love this forum ..thanks zerobae - switching to port 2 did it ...hmm i didn't see that in the manual.

now on to serious investigation.

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:56 pm

have fun! i'm away from my remote for a week, trying to make some noise in the hotel room, using the mouse... not so cool