How do you record automation?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
imperial_mic

How do you record automation?

Post by imperial_mic » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:02 pm

I've had live for a year now, never could find the feature to record automation from a midi controller.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:23 pm

It's a button at the top of the screen with a circle on it (like record on your vcr or whatever). Can't miss it... well, you could, but you know what I mean :-)

Note that this records into your arrangement view, not session view (there is a long-standing feature request for this - hopefully live7?)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

drb

Post by drb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:18 am

So you are not able to record automation into session at all?? That explains why I cant seem to figure it out and no books cover it! Geez.

So you record to arange, then can you copy that clip with automation embedded back to session, or do you NEED to consolidate?

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:51 am

effectively you have to do it in arrangement view (grrrrrrr.....).

drb

Post by drb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:44 pm

chapelier fou wrote:effectively you have to do it in arrangement view (grrrrrrr.....).
Can you copy that clip with automation embedded back to session? Need to try I guess/

bulo

Post by bulo » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:18 pm

or you can just use a second track... 8) so you can do it in the seesion view.
just send the audio of your midi track in an audio track and let's go baba!!!
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

drb

Post by drb » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:46 pm

bulo wrote:...
or you can just use a second track... 8) so you can do it in the seesion view.
just send the audio of your midi track in an audio track and let's go baba!!!
how do you send audio of a MIDI track though if it is JUST a midi track?

lets say track one is audio with a VST. track two is midi just to record automation for track one. doesnt seem to work when i tried it. does it? or was i just doing somethign wrong?

bulo

Post by bulo » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:47 pm

lets say track one is audio with a VST. track two is midi just to record automation for track one. doesnt seem to work when i tried it. does it? or was i just doing somethign wrong?
raaaghhhhh
the contrary! for exemple, put a simpler on a midi track, assign one parameter of it to your midi controller. Now in the in/out configuration of your midi track, put the out to an audio track.
then switch on the record button for this 2 tracks... and play
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

drb

Post by drb » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:12 pm

bulo wrote:

raaaghhhhh
the contrary! for exemple, put a simpler on a midi track, assign one parameter of it to your midi controller. Now in the in/out configuration of your midi track, put the out to an audio track.
then switch on the record button for this 2 tracks... and play
ok, but i only have an AUDIO track i want to automate with an effect. Switch both tracks into record? I need to play with this more..