uninstall & reinstall safely on Windows

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djastroboy

uninstall & reinstall safely on Windows

Post by djastroboy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:46 pm

I'm having a problem (probably not relevant, but File Management doesn't come up from the menu, just does nothing) with Live (6.0.5) and I tried reinstalling on top of current install but that doesn't fix the problem.
Next step is to remove Live and install from scratch.
However, I don't know what steps I need to take to protect and backup my content, Library, and current install in case the uninstall decides to take my stuff with it.
Think paranoid for this one, and please, no guessing or conjecture!

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:06 pm

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:24 pm

muscleandhate wrote:http://www.apple.com/getamac/
While helpful (not), I think our friend deserves a real answer:

Where do you have the library located? Provide the path. Then make sure Live's prefs point to that path.

Just an FYI, that you can safely reinstall over a current install - it'll force you to create a new library, and then they you can tell Live's prefs to go back to your old library.

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:10 pm

muscleandhate wrote:http://www.apple.com/getamac/
What does a Mac do that helps the reinstall process?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:13 pm

it makes the process look prettier while gouging your bank account

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:14 pm

nebulae wrote:
Where do you have the library located? Provide the path. Then make sure Live's prefs point to that path.
My Library is in "My Documents": C:\Documents and Settings\andy\My Documents\Ableton\Library. Does being in "My Documents" guarantee that Ableton won't try to remove it during uninstall?
nebulae wrote: Just an FYI, that you can safely reinstall over a current install - it'll force you to create a new library, and then they you can tell Live's prefs to go back to your old library.
I tried installing over top the current install, but the problem doesn't get fixed.

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:15 pm

nebulae wrote:it makes the process look prettier while gouging your bank account
:lol: That's what I always suspected! :roll:

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:35 pm

nebulae wrote:
Just an FYI, that you can safely reinstall over a current install - it'll force you to create a new library, and then they you can tell Live's prefs to go back to your old library.
Wait a minute, we're not talking about the same thing. I've reinstalled and it didn't ask anything about a library.
:?: :?: :?: :?:

blank

Post by blank » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:37 am

Back you library to another partition or hd than the os one ( really good idea it avoid windows screwing up your entire work when it crash his file system)

leave the one in your folder mydocuments and give live 6.05 your new library location ( the one you just did move)

I had the same kind of probs with live 6.03, doing this fixed the probs I had.

On the other hand, I had a station at work running live with some pretty weird behavior in the browser. The location of the library was already on another drive so moving it was not the solution. The only thing that fixed the problem was doing a chkdsk /f in the dos prompt on the library drive. Once windows did the scan and fix all his own krap live was starting acting ok in his browser again.

Be sure to back everything up in you library before doing this.

And for those who think that hd mess up is never happening on a mac, you're wrong :P

It happens, that's it that's all :)

hope it will help you a bit.