Your opinons on guitar rig??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zordon

Your opinons on guitar rig??

Post by zordon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:22 am

Is it a good interface if i wanna record more than just guitars? Also how does it fair when being used with ableton?

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:39 am

I find that I end up putting it on a LOT more things than just guitar. You can put any audio you want through guitar rig just like any other plug in. I use it in Live in every set of mine. On guitar, drums, keys, vocal. I highly recommend it. And, I haven't plugged into my guitar amps for over 2 years. It is a CPU HOG, so I can only have 1 or 2 instances running at once depending on the preset, and that's on a MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz C2D. The more complex the preset is, the more CPU. But you can get amazing sounds with only a few components in GR, you don't need to chain together 42 effects with 7 amps and 14 cabinets to make something great.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:13 am

Guitar rig is easy to use and offers alot of functionality although I think the sound is a little weak.

I also use Waves Gtr which sounds better but with less functionality and a less polished interface.

You can get demos of both and try them out.

Cheers

Andy

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:56 am

Isn't it CPU heavy and latency adding?

Can't you get pretty much the same sound with careful tweaking of even in-built Live plugs?

-Ben

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:44 am

For guitar, you'll hear more "horrays/whopti-doos" for guitar rig than anything else.....that would include me.

Some things to keep in mind.

-it certainly doesn't do any worse cpu than it's rivals....they are all cpu intensive.
-I (and I am not alone though I'll get crusified for saying so) HATE the rig controller. I'd go software only if I could do it over again.
-The macintel version has many problems with tapedecks and loopmachine.....not every single person has these issues....but most do.
-Always remember, your milage will VARY.......if you have not done the demos, try getting them all at once (you need ilok for wave GTR) and test them with your host. By and large, amplitube 2 and GR 2 have fairly flexible demos......(30 days for GR/but only 10 for AT2 and GTR I think....?)

Have fun trying them out.......I guarantee you'll find one you like :wink:

kidrobot

Post by kidrobot » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:07 am

Amplitube blows it out of the water IMO. But Guitar Rig is good for some outlandish effects.

Novel

Post by Novel » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:34 pm

For pure tone quality I found that I prefer Amplitube 2 over GR 2. However, I can see plenty of applications for both. If you are considering purchasing an amp modeling plug, I suggest taking Amplitube 2 for a spin as well to see which you prefer.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:39 pm

Guitar Rig vs. Amplitube comes up a lot. I got Amplitube with the Stealth Plug for $100, great package!! Both are passable. Guitar Rig does have a few more bells and whistles, nothing you'd really miss, but fun. Line 6 Pod XT kills them both.

You absolutely cannot no way no how even come close to any of those with the built in effects in Live.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

radib

Post by radib » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:12 pm

meanwhile i don´t use those complete solutions anymore, they are really boring and always sound thin and squishy. it got nescessary building up several tracks with more unique tools to create a layered guitar sound that could really affect me.

but the waves gtr got some basic amplifying which sounds greater than at, gr, pod, tech 21 and sorts.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:43 pm

i think guitar rig sounds great for recordings if you use a good instrument pre. and no, you can't get close with live's built in plugs. for live use, i'm not sure why anyone would forego a real amp.

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:53 pm

I don't play guitar myself - but I've got it on my laptop for when a friend of mine comes over to jam. It sounds cool but I'd be lying if I said it didn't piss me off ALL the time because when i use it as a VST in Live it crashes constantly when changing presets. Not every time, but probably every 3rd or 4th, which is enough to be annoying as hell.

Nogi

Post by Nogi » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:11 pm

Most of the time, I end up using a blend of several different sources for recording guitar stuff. For me, Line6 has a lot better idea of what a guitarist expects from a guitar amp simulation than IKMultimedia or NI appear to. (I do like the filters and envelope fun of Guitar Rig, however.) Still, I have yet to hear something even in the ballpark to what the direct out of a JMP1 sounds like as far as a simulated amp tone and, likewise, the JMP1 is miles away from a good JCM800 or Twin Reverb. For live, I would love to plug in a Bluetooth connector of some kind into a Tele and have my noodling appear magically over the PA via my laptop. Or perhaps, a Soldano SLO pill that you take twice daily with food.

CareyLetendre

Post by CareyLetendre » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:12 pm

aburgener wrote:I don't play guitar myself - but I've got it on my laptop for when a friend of mine comes over to jam. It sounds cool but I'd be lying if I said it didn't piss me off ALL the time because when i use it as a VST in Live it crashes constantly when changing presets. Not every time, but probably every 3rd or 4th, which is enough to be annoying as hell.
You bought guitar rig for when your friend comes over? That's pretty generous.

:lol:

Carey

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:23 pm

I love it...wish I could afford it...but basically, I'll lay down tracks thru my Pod, just to have a nice clean line level input into Live. Then I take it over to a local studio and run the guitars thru Guitar Rig. It's kick ass...the most flexible of all the amp modelers out there.

Novel

Post by Novel » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:24 pm

GR definitely has some sweet features like the modulation devices... however, I just discovered Line 6 Gearbox / Toneport today... looks very cool.

One really nice aspect is ultra-low latency monitoring through the Gearbox plug-in effects... may currently be the only way to get ultra-low latency through effects via a Macbook, since no Expresscard interfaces are yet available.