EQing Major Issue???? :(

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
djyoz

EQing Major Issue???? :(

Post by djyoz » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:38 am

I use a Evolution UC-33e as my Midi Controller and i want two of my channels to be like Deck A and Deck B.

SO!!!!

I need really good bass, mid and gain eqing controlls like you would on a normal dj mixer but the eq 3 on abelton is pants takes the power and sound qualtiy out of my tunes i've tried using eq 8 but i can work it out how to assign them to bass, mid and gain :(

Can anyone help??? :cry: :lol:
HARDSTYLE LIVE!!!!

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:44 am

This is easily done with EQ8. Disable 5 of the 8 bands - it doesn't matter which. Then set the "Freq" and the "Q" (bandwidth) on each of the remaining 3 bands to correspond with Hi, Mid and Low. Then go into midi map, and map a knob on your UC-33e to each of the "Gain" dials (you can do this on your UC-33e to match a DJ mixer eq - ie - veertical row with the bottom being Lo, Middle being Mid, and Top being Hi) that are still active.

You will need to play with the Freq and Q settings for each band, but you can customise them to however you like. In this way - EQ8/EQ4 is MUCH better than the EQs on a DJ mixer.

There is LOADS of info on doing this right her on this forum - if you search you'll find diagrams galore. You'll also want to look into using EQ8/EQ4 as a resonant filter. There is an EXCELLENT tutorial on that around here somewhere...)

djyoz

Post by djyoz » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:48 pm

cheers dude i'll check it out tonight...

maybe this may be better and eq3 dont sound to groovy with my tunes :(
HARDSTYLE LIVE!!!!

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:05 pm

You may also want to look at your warp-mode. Using complex mode, which is the norm, does tend to flatten the sound out a bit. If you are using complex mode, switch it to re-pitch and see if that's the difference that you're looking for. This is a test to see if it's a warp mode issue, not necessarily how you should play. Sometimes re-pitch isn't an option.
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

djyoz

Post by djyoz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:11 am

thanks man :D
HARDSTYLE LIVE!!!!