I am becoming a producer!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Needs2Know

I am becoming a producer!

Post by Needs2Know » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:17 pm

Well the road to a Jedi is a long one! I've been at this for some time and finally got the gear I needed and now I'm actually putting things together the way I wanted for the first time since 2002!(as of yesterday). When I first got Live 4 lite, I figured maybe I would just use that in place of a DAW. But then decided on a Protools system. After my protools stopped working I turned back to Live for DAW type things.

I actually put together some stuff by useing the session view to make clips (one clip per track) then dragging them into the arrange view building up the mix that way. One thing i like about LIVE is the warp markers in the clip edit field and the ability to nudge things to offset the timing. Produced a few tracks but didnt really feel like it was anything special. so..

Decided to get a good synth ie Virus. But then needed a really good DAW so I got Logic. Almost got DP. After doing this and working with these things I drew up a little flow chart:

LOGIC ----> PEAK -----> LIVE
(mix) (master) (perform)

I've spent about $8200 this year on gear and almost have of that was wasted on software and hardware I didnt need ie: machine drum $1400, Machfive $300, ProTools 002 $2000(stopped working and they wont help me.)

BTW I'm not saying because i'm not usiing protools, machfive, machined drum, or Live to mix (initially) that these arent ausome tools to use in your studio. Its just a hindsight thing for my own preference. And opions are like assholes...everyone has one.

While I have a general working knowledge of Peak and Live I'm not a pro using them yet just as I have much to learn about every thing else. There are tons of things my two midi controllers can do but figureing out how to talor their useage is another thing all together.

Moving to Chicago too. That should be a good thing for my music indevors. I want to collaborate!
LOGIC PRO 7.2 w/ G4 1.67 1.5G RAM . Mac OSX 10.4.8, LIVE 6.0, Virus TI Keyboard, Korg EMX1, AXIOM 25 and Keystation Pro 88 midi controllers, Midisport 2x2 midi interface, UltraLite audio interface and 1 Rode NT3 mic "check, check".

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:53 pm

jesus christ.... $8000

Needs2Know

Post by Needs2Know » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:18 pm

shit just broken down...

total spent ... $11,244.00
useful gear will continue to use ... $7,270
gear i bought that wont really use ... $3,974

could try to sell some of this stuff on ebay but cant sell a broken protools system and both my machfives(win and mac) are not selling. my machine drum has a sticky step key. anyone want it for a grand?
LOGIC PRO 7.2 w/ G4 1.67 1.5G RAM . Mac OSX 10.4.8, LIVE 6.0, Virus TI Keyboard, Korg EMX1, AXIOM 25 and Keystation Pro 88 midi controllers, Midisport 2x2 midi interface, UltraLite audio interface and 1 Rode NT3 mic "check, check".

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:22 pm

good news! Keep it up. Isn't amazing how fast the biils add up?

Novel

Post by Novel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:26 pm

You should transfer those credit card balances to Discover with a 0% APR for 12 months and that'll clear the decks for another go

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:06 pm

Needs2Know wrote:shit just broken down...

total spent ... $11,244.00
useful gear will continue to use ... $7,270
gear i bought that wont really use ... $3,974

could try to sell some of this stuff on ebay but cant sell a broken protools system and both my machfives(win and mac) are not selling. my machine drum has a sticky step key. anyone want it for a grand?

It's now time for you to become a member here:

http://www.gearslutz.com

Congrats!
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Daim

Post by Daim » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:01 pm

hehe i know people with almost 50 vinyl releases who only are using software

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:04 pm

Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken. Show us your hits.

Best of luck!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:36 pm

honestly I don't think I've spent a dime on any kind of music production stuff over the course of the last year - no I bought dub delay for $30 bucks

funny and over the last year I've had more tracks come out and even done more tracks of my own

that's interesting ;)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken. Show us your hits.

Best of luck!!

THats freaking hillarious
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:56 pm

but what happens when you run out of presets?!?
No one actually touches those knobs and shit, do they?

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:02 pm

darkcatt wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken. Show us your hits.

Best of luck!!

THats freaking hillarious
While funny, the OP did say he was "becoming" a producer. IE, not there quite yet.

Why not encourage?!?!

Best,
AB

Oh, right. Fragile eqos.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:04 pm

I honestly did mean best of luck with all the best intentions.

/runs off to join the circus.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

jeskola

Re: I am becoming a producer!

Post by jeskola » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:06 pm

Needs2Know wrote:Well the road to a Jedi is a long one! I've been at this for some time and finally got the gear I needed and now I'm actually putting things together the way I wanted for the first time since 2002!(as of yesterday). When I first got Live 4 lite, I figured maybe I would just use that in place of a DAW. But then decided on a Protools system. After my protools stopped working I turned back to Live for DAW type things.

I actually put together some stuff by useing the session view to make clips (one clip per track) then dragging them into the arrange view building up the mix that way. One thing i like about LIVE is the warp markers in the clip edit field and the ability to nudge things to offset the timing. Produced a few tracks but didnt really feel like it was anything special. so..

Decided to get a good synth ie Virus. But then needed a really good DAW so I got Logic. Almost got DP. After doing this and working with these things I drew up a little flow chart:

LOGIC ----> PEAK -----> LIVE
(mix) (master) (perform)

I've spent about $8200 this year on gear and almost have of that was wasted on software and hardware I didnt need ie: machine drum $1400, Machfive $300, ProTools 002 $2000(stopped working and they wont help me.)

BTW I'm not saying because i'm not usiing protools, machfive, machined drum, or Live to mix (initially) that these arent ausome tools to use in your studio. Its just a hindsight thing for my own preference. And opions are like assholes...everyone has one.

While I have a general working knowledge of Peak and Live I'm not a pro using them yet just as I have much to learn about every thing else. There are tons of things my two midi controllers can do but figureing out how to talor their useage is another thing all together.

Moving to Chicago too. That should be a good thing for my music indevors. I want to collaborate!

good god man
8O

a macbook, ableton and blue would suffice

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:23 pm

everyone has to go through what you're going through to some degree, to find out what one needs to know is the right set up for them. I myself went in a circle from straight hardware scoffing at software to having the sky open up and getting rid of all of my hardware and finally to understanding that unity in mind spirit and machine is really the best route for me ie: the best thing for me turned out to be a mixture of hardware/software and osx/xp. Now I'm in a nirvana of sorts with my guitars/bass, mpc, turntables and macbook Live/softsynths. the problem with being this happy is you don't care about not making enough money.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.