Trigger Finger mappings overlapping.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Audio Anomaly

Trigger Finger mappings overlapping.

Post by Audio Anomaly » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:02 am

Hello all,
Been having a probelm with my Trigger Finger recently. I have four channels for djying, a pad for each channel(p1, p2 p3 p4) and then another pad for genral contol. I can only ever seem to have so many mappings and then they start overlapping. Triggering off things they arnt supposed to.
I cant seem to find a solution to this anywhere so i thought you guys could hepl. Thanks

zstowasser

Post by zstowasser » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:40 am

you may need to reset the unit or change the preset your using. check the manual for commands (i forget) or call m-audio and they should sort you out.

Audio Anomaly

Post by Audio Anomaly » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:29 pm

Tried resetting a few times and it dosent seem to help. Ill have to have a good look through the manual.
Any other suggestions?

microlive

Post by microlive » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:52 pm

Use M-Audio's Enigma Software to make sure the MIDI messages you're sending from the TF are not conflicting in any way. To me it sounds like some of your mapping is sending the same MIDI note/message to ableton & thus your mixed results. You can download Enigma from their site for free & it's pretty easy to use too.

Give me a shout if you get stuck! 8)

Audio Anomaly

Post by Audio Anomaly » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:24 pm

Ok so using enigma what values should i be changing to ensure the pads dont conflict?

zstowasser

Post by zstowasser » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:19 pm

Did you try changing the preset on the unit? i had to do that and I think it was #11, but m-audio support had the answer for me. I think i had a similar problem with buttons not working / being the same.

Audio Anomaly

Post by Audio Anomaly » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:36 pm

No changing preset dosent seem to help either.

Audio Anomaly

Post by Audio Anomaly » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:18 am

Ok Why can't I just set my trigger finger so every pad/fader/knob has a different CC#?

Like i can push memory recall and select any pad from 1-16, yeah. Then why dosent this give me 256 seperate non conflicting pads?? I dont get it, why does it have to be so confusing.

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:22 am

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/ma ... 3EN_V3.PDF

Assigning new parameters and functions to the Trigger Finger’s controls can be accomplished through Edit Mode

Audio Anomaly

Post by Audio Anomaly » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:57 am

Ok so, what is the significnce of the program/ bank change button? I think if i actually understood the significance of the memory recall and program/bank buttons and how they differ i wouldnt be having this problem.

buddhabelly

Post by buddhabelly » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:12 am

Audio Anomaly wrote:Ok Why can't I just set my trigger finger so every pad/fader/knob has a different CC#?

Like i can push memory recall and select any pad from 1-16, yeah. Then why dosent this give me 256 seperate non conflicting pads?? I dont get it, why does it have to be so confusing.
Make sure that you aren't sending notes or CCs that over lap to different channels. If you're sending CC11 to channel one to control the level and then map it to channel 33 both on channel one, then the messages will be sent to both because it's the identical message. Instead, send CC11 to track33 over MIDI channel 2. Does that help? There are 16 channels of MIDI available on one out port with 128 different CCs that can be sent and however many notes on/offs there are in the MIDI spec.

Audio Anomaly

Post by Audio Anomaly » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:26 am

Ok so when i enter edit mode and press a pad im editing the parameters of that pad. But am i editing it within the preset i had selected or how does it work?

Thanks for the help by the way, much appriceated.

Audio Anomaly

Post by Audio Anomaly » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:37 pm

Alright ive solved the problem.

So for anybody who might have this problem in the future, heres my simple solution!

Its just a matter of making sure each pad sends out its midi through a different channel. So hold memory recall and prog/bank change until the two red lights blink. Then one by one change the channel(c4 knob) of each pad to say Channel 1. Then hit the save and edit button followed by the pad you wish to save this channel to. Its a simple as making sure each other saved pad you wish to use dosent use the same channel as any gone before it.

Happy Days :D
Thanks for the help lads!

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:24 am

i'm getting a strange thing where i'm adjusting all the mappings using the Enigma editor, and the unit is not updating to the new midi mappings.

i have quite carefully set up my midi stuff via the editor, only for some of the mappings just not copying across to the unit...

arghghg!
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:38 am

ah... seems that you need to reselect your preset afterwards to make it remember it.. slightly counter intuitive if you ask me but hey.. its late..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer