How do you do that thing with sends again?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
womoma

How do you do that thing with sends again?

Post by womoma » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:15 am

Hey. Im stupid today.

How do you do that thing with Returns where you hear less of the dry signal, and more of the return channel, the more you turn the send knob up.

Thanks

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:19 am

Right click on the send knob to enable that feature, a change in Live 6. I think they changed it to increase performance.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

womoma

Post by womoma » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:32 am

Thanks for the reply. When I right click I only get the option to view automation or enable/disable a send.
Im using Live 6.

Are you tellin me this feature was removed from Live for Live 6?!

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:41 am

pre send?
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:41 am

womoma wrote:Thanks for the reply. When I right click I only get the option to view automation or enable/disable a send.
Im using Live 6.

Are you tellin me this feature was removed from Live for Live 6?!
Hit the he pre and post send buttons above the Master fader. I misunderstood you.

I was talking about enabling sending sends to sends (or a send to itself for weirdness) by 'enabling sends.'
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

womoma

Post by womoma » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:53 am

That almost does what I want to do, although its not the smooth single-knob crossfader Im lookin for as it just ads to the dry signal.

Basically its for use with Lucifer VST in a DJ set.

I was using it on each channel, but it is too demanding on CPU so Ive decided to use it as a send.

If youre not familiar with it, Lucifer is basically a beat repeater on speed.
it has a DRY/WET cross fader, which is very usefull.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:27 am

Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:40 am

just realised, with racks you can do the magic send with only a single return track! put a rack in send A with the utility plug on one chain, and the other channel with the effects you want. works a treat! you could go nuts and have a bunch of fx chains set up and fade/cut between em all you like - as long as the phased signal gets through to cancel the straight audio at all times you've got a crazy multifx setup using a single return track.

the crossfades a little strange at about half way though...

womoma

Post by womoma » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:43 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

THANKS MAN!

This is exactly the trick I was lookin for!

Now I can choose to use the same effect insert stylee OR crossfade between wet and dry.

Cheers again Clearscreen.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:51 am

anytime, just been playing with the rack setup for this, and it's worth doing i that way i reckon. you could have one send to rule them all!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:57 am

8O Nice one Clearscreen!!!

Very cool tip. I don't quite follow the rack construction though, I'll give it a try, any tips?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:17 am

ummm... it's basically exactly the same as using two return tracks, just condensing it into a single return. lets see if i can't talk you through it... [edit - i'm dumbing this down a fair bit in case somebody who hasn't figured out chains comes across it...]

1. in an empty set put a utility plug on return A and switch it so that both phase lights are on. this'll cancel any clean audio sent through eg. put a drumloop int rack one then turn up the send to return A.

2. make a group out of that utility plugin.

3. create another chain by dropping an effect into the group - use something obviously different to get the idea - and only the sound of the effected (and inverse phased audio) should be coming through

4. create a few more chains when you're happy with that. hit the chain button and move each individual chains zone selector (the little bar to the right in line with that chain) so they aren't all active at once (unless that's what you want..)

5. then map a macro knob to whats called the "chain select ruler"... which is just the area where the orange bar next to the 'chain' and 'hide' buttons moves through. set the range on your macro knob so it doesn't go to a region where theres nothing and away you go...

6. get really fancy and setup 'fade ranges' for each effect if you want using the thin bit on top of the chain zone selector.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:07 am

(Right click on an effect or selected group of FX to group them into a rack I forgot about that.)

Thank you!

Best thing I've learned in a while. You're putting sounds in a send to mess with the tracks. Play the inverted sound, the track mutes.

With 100% send I put that rack into a rack like itself. A nested rack with an inverted Utility to cancel out the rack so you get dry - 50/50 - wet with one knob. I'll try it later with more FX, getting late... I need to draw out what's going where inverted how and why.

Dunno, this is new to me, if I catch it all. Very cool DJ trick!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

*sigh*

Post by *sigh* » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:06 am

Clearscreen wrote:ummm... it's basically exactly the same as using two return tracks, just condensing it into a single return. lets see if i can't talk you through it... [edit - i'm dumbing this down a fair bit in case somebody who hasn't figured out chains comes across it...]...etc
...sounds like another one for the racks list

womoma

Post by womoma » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:25 pm

<<< Posts like all of these are why I still love the Ableton forum.