Max/Msp + Ableton

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Mr Bobber

Max/Msp + Ableton

Post by Mr Bobber » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:10 pm

Hi, does anyone Rewire between Max/Msp and Ableton? or use them together in any way?

Im thinking of getting Max as it seems a cool app, I like the DIY aspect, and I wonder if I can use them both together, sequence/record into Live 3 for example?

It would be the Mac versions....there are maybe differences between the PC + Mac versions of MAX?

Thanks in advance. :P

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:48 pm

msp's rewire doesn't work on osx yet. i guess they know about it and are trying to work around some weird bug. it works fine on os 9 though. they did release soundflower though in the meantime, which allows you to pipe audio from one app to another. although the fact that they released an app to fix a bug makes me think that it might be a pretty big bug.

k

Mr Bobber

Post by Mr Bobber » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:43 am

Hi, Thanks for that. I wondered what soundflower was for....

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:20 am

yeah, the way the reason team designed rewire in OSX is fucked, so every app has had a long wait to sort it out, however i think sound flower does a decent job and actually max doesn't really need syncing that much anyway.
it's also worth pointing out that you can get the free runtime verion of pluggo, and then just convert your max patches into VST plugins to run within live.

iiis

Post by iiis » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:12 am

max/msp is about to be upgraded. allowing max to have "ReWire support as both Client and Host (including MIDI I/O)."

sweet. :twisted:

quote from :

http://www.cycling74.com/products/upgrading45.html

Max/MSP 4.5 Upgrade Information
Next month we will be releasing the Max and Max/MSP 4.5 upgrades. The list of improvements is extensive, so here are a few to whet your appetite.

Integration of the Java and Javascript languages into the Max environment.
A complete multi-leveled preset management system for multi-layered patches.
MSP objects implementing the award-winning OctiMax compression and limiting technology.
Several new objects providing spectral display, alteration and pitch-shifting.
ReWire support as both Client and Host (including MIDI I/O).