Can't record to Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
cfindustries

Can't record to Live

Post by cfindustries » Fri May 28, 2004 10:33 pm

Knowing that the onboard sound card is frequently lacking the necessary ??? to do any reasonable recording, I just bought a M-Audio FireWire Audiophile interface. It came bundled with Live and Reason for recording/editing.

I have been trying to record in Live for the past two days and so far, nothing -- no sound comes through.

The correct sound device is installed/selected. The drivers seem to be correct. Recording to the Windows recorder works. What is the procedure for recording to Live. I have read/re-read/re-re-read the manual -- which is essentially worthless. It nicely describes each button but as far as procedures -- NADA -- it's a blank page.

I have:
1. selected the track
2. armed the track
3. clicked the Record button (it turns from black to red)
4. clicked the Play button (it turns from black to green)
5. the little record indicator moves across the screen -- but nothing gets recorded.

Is there a REAL manual somewhere that tells how to use this software? I can't be this hard.

BTW: My hardware should be up to snuff -- 2.8Ghz P4; 512Mb RAM; 40Gb HD; WinXP SP1 (with all the latest patches including DirectX 9.1).

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat May 29, 2004 3:30 pm

have you selected the tracks input on the in/out dropdown below the send knobs? if this is not visable go live/view and click in/out then choose the proper input on the dropdown. that is the only thing i did not see you mention is your post. good luck!

cfindustries

Thanks for that tip

Post by cfindustries » Sun May 30, 2004 2:53 am

That does make a difference. That little dropdown list is mentioned in the manual, but there is no discussion of how to access it. I saw that in the manual and looked and looked for the option but couldn't find it. Thanks. It's recording now.

Now, if I can get it to playback . . . hmmmm?? I click the Play button, it looks like it's working, but no output. Maybe I've got something turned off somewhere? I'll hunt around a bit more.

Mr Bobber

Post by Mr Bobber » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:31 am

Hi, I had similar trouble.... I could see the input in the track, but hear no output!

Make sure you have selected 'Yes' from the 'Monior thorugh Live' from the audio preferences screen. You should then hear the input signal from the master.

Hope that helps....

cfindustries

Deleted Live

Post by cfindustries » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:07 pm

Actually, what I finally wound up doing is removing Live, and getting a copy of Cubase SE. It works great (of course it wasn't free, but . . . I guess you get what you pay for).