DJ & PERFORMANCE wishlist...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
womoma

DJ & PERFORMANCE wishlist...

Post by womoma » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:10 pm

Its almost summer and over at ALDJ, the thoughts of Live 7 being currently developed has us all salivating.

Here are some wishlist suggestions from DJs who use Ableton Live.

--More than one waveform displayed so there's a cue to know where to mix things over. Multiple waveform views for DJs - LONG OVERDUE.

--A free, dedicated DJ tool which works within or alongside Live.

--multiple loop points stored in a clip.

--Better dual monitor support (arrange on one, session on other at least)

--More/better MIDI control. Browser navigation, formulas, that kinda stuff

--New EQ3

--massive graphical overhaul

--A sidechaining compressor included

--A sample slicer that cuts up a sample and maps it across a midi key range
Some sort of simple step sequencer akin to FL studio's

--Pre-assign clip colours in session view.

--Custom key commands [ala Sonar]

--Improved GUI, different colour of the main area in arrange view to the section on the right.

--Multiple automation views in Arrangement view.

--Dedicated Ableton sidechain compressor and vocoder.

--A simple and fun multi effects unit with built in envelopes and patches.
Look at Lucifer vst for "inspiration".

--Improved Beat Repeat.

--Dummy clips without the need for silent wavs. A more elegant solution overall would be nice.

--Improved Impulse. Drum synthesis options, velocity layering without the need for racks.

--More FREE bundled stuff. High quality loops, waveforms, drum kits.
Simpler and Impulse SHOULD come with hundreds of nice patches.

--Elegant session view automation recording.

--Dedicated, MODERATED, Ableton Live rack/patch sharing forum.

--SCROLLWHEEL SUPPORT for knobs, faders and zooming.

--Improved racks, XY pad, mini modules.

If youre a DJ, Please ad your own here in this thread.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:02 pm

They should make an audio plug in called "Deck". You could load a full song into it, and map controller to it so you could scratch with it. It'd have 8 loops you could store for each song (write the info in the ASD file), and do effects like brake stops, and rewinds in real-time.

:)

I'd also like to see some way to add image files and text info to each audio file, and that info viewable in the help pane while selecting audio files in the browser or session view.

:)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

tylast

Post by tylast » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:11 pm

Tarekith wrote: I'd also like to see some way to add image files and text info to each audio file, and that info viewable in the help pane while selecting audio files in the browser or session view.
MP3s & FLAC already have artwork in the MetaData, but I agree with being able to display them ~ especially when using the browser. I really like your "Deck" idea too! Might as well through in Volume Leveling. :wink:

womoma

Post by womoma » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:00 am

Oh I almost forgot to mention this. Something I was thinking about recently.

ASD files should be able to keep colour code information, where you can highlight sections of the waveform. That would rock.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:10 am

Being able to mark up/highlight the waveform & save it is even better than having 2 waveform displays, though I want that too.

The idea to have stored art or notes appear in the help window is seriously brilliant.

Yes they should make a "Deck", or at least a button in clip view to assign clips to 2 global scratch/scrub controls (A or B depending on the track's crossfader setting, maybe). Everybody's stuck on timecoded vinyl, Ableton could just jump past that & figure out what the next standard will be:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

…and make sure it works with the VCI-100:

http://www.vestax.com/v/products/players/vci100.html

Robert said they were thinking of a new EQ3 in December of '05. I kinda expected it in 6, and would be really bummed if it doesn't show up in 7.

Ableton vocoder, yes please, the uses for this are infinite.

And the answer to everybody's different interface is to go modular. Everybody can roll their own version of Live.

adrianalex

MP3 bitrates and song keys

Post by adrianalex » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:28 am

2 things that would make me happy. I have mentioned them before on the forums, and if you agree, please pipe in, so the developers will pay attention...

The first one should be simple...give the option of seeing the bitrate of mp3's in the browser. I find myself continually going back and forth between itunes and Live to check that I am using higher bitrate mp3's. I am not a Nazi about it but 128 kbs mp3's can really sound like hell sometimes and are best avoided unless you really have to use them...

The second one?

Does anyone here use Mixed in Key? Or seen the key function in Traktor. Having a facility in Ableton that will let you do harmonic mixing by telling you the key of a track, would be invaluable. I find my production is even getting better when I have Mixed in Key analyze even my short loops... it narrows your choices and keeps things tight, but its tough to do when switching back and for th with Ableton, or mixing Live...There must be an algorithm they can apply to the .asd file to give us a quick analysis of the key...

SHOUT OUT FOR A VOCODER (ITS ABOUT TIME)...

And if the support staff get this, how about you develop a custom dj controller like Native Instruments did? Something basic would be good, and I live and work in China, can help source a factory and do qc for you, just because I love you guys....

As for the Vestax VCI-100, does anyone know when that drops? Any new info on it since NAMM? I think it looks great, almost perfect except for one thing...No dedicated buttons for the EQ3 killswitches....Add that and it would be perfect...

Cheers...

BOYA
Plagiarism is necessary...Progress implies it...
IF YOU MEET THE BUDDHA, KILL THE BUDDHA.

womoma

Post by womoma » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:27 pm

more suggestions from Dabe at ALDJ:

* Multiple cue points; not only multi-color warp markers, but if I set a cue point on beat "8" (or a "16.4.3" or whatever) and I have a Global Quantization of "1 Bar" then I want that clip to start playing *ON* beat eight. I don't want to have to shrink my quantization to 1/8 and have perfect timing.

* Integrate Serato Scratch Live; let me use my timecoded vinyl to control the "clip scrub" area. I'd want both a quantization-neutral option to truly scratch, as well as some kind of "snap to" function so Live would start/continue playing at the nearest cue point / beat grid.

* +999 for multiple, overlaid waveforms.

* Enhanced ID3 and iTunes integration; let Ableton's auto-warp guess the BPM, and use that to populate the BPM field in iTunes. Also, if I adjust the warp markers and click "Save", repopulate that track's BPM as necessary. Our favorite Fisher Price DJ Tool at least puts the BPM in an ID3 comment... Incorporating / integrating with Rapid Evolution would be nice, too. This also requires a much more robust system for displaying / editing metadata.

* I would hope the schizo-frenetic jumping around that happens when you adjust loop points could be rectified... I'm afraid to touch my loop bar for fear that it will decide, "OH! You must want me to skip two bars back for no apparent reason!" To me, this one's a bug-fix, not a feature-request...

* I'd like a setting in the Clip Launch window that makes the master tempo adjust to whatever that clip's BPM is... So say I could cycle between, "Instant", "1 Bar", "2 Bars" etc. Then if I launch that clip, either it will automatically start playing at the "natural" tempo, regardless of whatever was playing before it, or it could speed up / slow down to that natural tempo at a constant, user-defined rate.

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:22 am

push/pull adjustements.

glenc

Post by glenc » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:32 pm

Please please please:

* ADJUSTABLE CROSSFADER CURVE

This should be easy to implement and would make a massive difference to most DJs.

Also - the population of the BPM ID3 tag on Save is one of my most wanted too.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:36 pm

Live 6 already has an adjustable crossfader curve.

Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:14 am

An EQ with a spectral analysis curve behind it. It would be called Anal Spectralysis :lol:

posssu

Post by posssu » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:10 am

Cool suggestion, but I strongly disagree in the scroll wheel support for knobs/faders. There's nothing more irritating than scrolling a view to some direction and to suddenly the scrolling stop because you accidently scrolled on a fader/knob and started to adjust it.

This would make Ableton a big mess and scrolling the view to any direction hazardous.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

glenc

Post by glenc » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:12 am

Whoops. Guess I should have scanned those release notes a bit better ... :oops:

posssu

Post by posssu » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:22 am

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:An EQ with a spectral analysis curve behind it.
I've been wanting for this too... it would be so handy.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

selector97

id3 tag reading

Post by selector97 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:03 pm

id3 tag reader would be great for djs. no id3 editor or extended browser functions. that´s not my understanding of live. but the reader would make it a better record box :-)