adding a touch of reverb while recording vocals

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
cosypete

adding a touch of reverb while recording vocals

Post by cosypete » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:48 pm

Have checked the forum but haven't seen this question. I have a friend coming around next week and I want to add a touch of reverb in the mix for them while recording them (it's suppose to help) but want the actual vocal recording to be dry so that I can add whatever effects I want afterwards
I have checked the manual and think it's all about pre effects but can't make head nor tail of it. Just getting into Live 6 sorry.

I would appreciate an idiots guide to the answer ie do this this and this.

Much appreciated

Cosy Pete

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:58 pm

yeah, just throw on live's reverb or whatever reverb plugins you want. put them on the audio track in live.

by default they will not be recorded into the clip you record. they will be monitored as you record, and again it will run through them when you play back the clip, but the clip itself will be dry.

i use session view.

lets say that Audio Track 1 has the mic routed into it.
you record enable that track.
check the mic.
add whatever effects to Track 1.
check the mic some more.

now when you record, you click on the circle in one of the slots on track 1 (not using the record button at the top of live)

this will record a new clip on track 1.
the clip itself will be dry, but when you play it back it will play back through all of the same effects you already added to track 1
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

cosypete

thanks

Post by cosypete » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:10 pm

Dear Ejectorset,

thanks for that and for such a quick and full response. I will try that out. It all makes sense now. I'm just migrating from FL studio 6 so it's taking me a while.

Thanks again

Cosy Pete

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:46 pm

Slap a little chorus on it as well.

alot of the chorus VST's have vocal presets built in. It will make the track sound fatter
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

cosypete

thanks

Post by cosypete » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:33 pm

thanks Darkcatt,

will try that out too

Cheers

Cosy Pete